Haswell vs Kaveri

No I think he's just saying that the master plan at Intel is to get the most money possible for everything developed at Intel. If they had such ferocious competition that they needed to pump out only fully-enabled CPUs, they would. And they would tell you they are doing it only because they love the customer. :) Every corporation works this way.

So, you are basically claiming that customers and customers satisfaction, and customers' good opinion about the big corporation are of no or less value?
Customer is king has never been absolute. It's often very profitable to drop a certain, uhm, segments ;) of customers.

Maybe because the people who purchase the unlocked versions aren't really those who will need VT-D and TXT.
Maybe, Intel cannot certificate the functionality of these modules (TXT mostly, right?) in an overclockable CPU.

There's a vanishly small amount of people that wants to do gaming on a VM and there, Vt-d is useful if not the only real way of achieving it.
Overclocking shouldn't be that a big of a deal, you're on your own anyway for any instability, also a "K" processor allows overclocking without overclocking the memory or bus.

The only reason I could see is they same basically the same CPUs as Xeon (with a few variants like 8 thread models 100 or 200MHz slower), and Xeon always support all the features. If you enable all features on a "K" then it has more features than a Xeon.

We have a situation of Intel doing segmentation because it does segmentation, imo. AMD lets you have Vt-d on a sempron as far as I know, then for AES-NI you need a Bulldozer and for TXT you need an upcoming CPU, else they don't do segmentation.. Intel does it because they can afford it :)

From VR-Zone: "Haswell action version of the first wave of the only quad-core version, the new H series processors will join the battlefield" (original).

haswell_mobile_core-i7.png

Other mobile chips are planned for Q3/Q4.

The idea behind Crystalwell is to start putting a DRAM pool on an interposer. The physical benefits to it are potentially very large.
In the future, that could obviate the bandwidth advantage of a discrete card, if the interposer solution can scale capacity up to something useful.
The thermal requirements would have to go down, although some high-end CPU TDPs may be climbing into discrete card territory in the near future.

However, the tone and insunuation in that snippet indicate something different going on besides simply making the physical separation unnecessary.
Potentially, something like refusing to scale up the PCIe bandwidth of the desktop and mobile chips, or quietly exerting pressure to prevent attempts to extend PCIe so that it can support coherency would do the trick over time.

edit:
Another possibility I don't know if Intel has the pull to do would be to put as much pressure as possible into form factors with restricted or very limited expansion capability. If the hardware in the expansion slots is too competitive, too bad for them needing expansion slots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see dual FP units in each core.
Yep, the structure is similar to SNB and Nehalem's SIMD units, but now the two FMA pipes are virtually mirrored in structure. And the entire SIMD/FP box has grown significantly, relative to the rest of the CPU core, compared to IVB and all the previous architectures.

Intel has already confirmed that they will continue to release "socketed processors" (ie LGA or similar) in the future generations too.

Intel has already confirmed that they will continue to release "socketed processors" (ie LGA or similar) in the future generations too.

So, that means that someone is lying. We should find out who. ;)

Edit: Just read this article:

ASUS: Intel Could Find a Way to Keep LGA CPUs

What lends Hsieh's statement weight, apart from the fact that he leads the biggest PC motherboard design team, is that Intel recently denied those reports, saying it would provide socketed CPUs for "the foreseeable future."
What is "foreseeable future"?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no Desktop version of Broadwell, that's it. Skylake will come in a socket version for desktop as usual.

Back