Resident Evil Revelations is pretty impressive ... mostly

Never thought I'd say that about a 3ds game anytime soon, but this game isn't just an embarassement of riches in regards to the sheer amount of content Capcom managed to cram into the little cartridge, but it's also quite the looker (just don't look too close): lighting is lovely, character models look great, texture work is phenomenal, and the atmospheric effects like rain and fog are remarkably well done as well.
Unfortunately it seems like Capcom designed the game a little past the hardware's limitations. It's almost never running 100% smooth, even when nothing is going on. During boss battles or more action packed sections it often gets really sluggish unfortunately. During one particular boss fight, the 3ds hardware reminded me of someone coughing up his own blood from exhaustion. The screen doesn't do the game any justice either. It's just way too ****ing tiny, dim and lacking in contrast. It's one of those dark-ass handheld games you can completely forget about unless lighting conditions are 100% ideal.
Now couple all of this with the fact that you have to strap a tumor-esque plastic monstrosity to your 3ds for the best possible controls and I can only hope for a PS Vita port.

It's a great game, but it's on a device which can't really keep up with it.

They do have framerate problems indeed, but not all the time. Revelations always feels sluggish (and the huge dead zone on the circle pads doesn't help)

Now couple all of this with the fact that you have to strap a tumor-esque plastic monstrosity to your 3ds for the best possible controls and I can only hope for a PS Vita port.

I don't know if you're trolling or not, because Resident Evil Revelations is fine on the system as it is. Anything else is just port-begging.

Certainly there are some areas of slowdown (mostly loading areas like elevators), but I do not understand where you are coming from with the "sluggish" aiming, since I use the gyro sensor to aim and it is perfect. I don't even need the Circle Pad Pro and basically use standard controls + gyro aiming.

This game certainly proves the 3DS has a lot of power to it.

The aiming feels slow and delayed at almost all times, hence I'm calling it sluggish. That's my opinion.
Did you set the Aiming Speed to "Fast"? I did with mine the moment I first tried to aim and felt the default was slow. Now it's perfect, especially with the gyro aiming.

Did you set the Aiming Speed to "Fast"? I did with mine the moment I first tried to aim and felt the default was slow. Now it's perfect, especially with the gyro aiming.

No, I didn't. I think what throws me off is just the huge dead zone on the circle pads. You have to push them in really far before any sort of input is even registered,

No, I didn't. I think what throws me off is just the huge dead zone on the circle pads. You have to push them in really far before any sort of input is even registered,
I never encountered the deadzone problem you speak of.
Played the demo and impressed that I can walk and shoot!!
I like how they use narrow corridors to compensate for this fact. It gets thrilling when a certain reoccuring boss starts to stalk you...

Never thought I'd say that about a 3ds game anytime soon, but this game isn't just an embarassement of riches in regards to the sheer amount of content Capcom managed to cram into the little cartridge, but it's also quite the looker (just don't look too close): lighting is lovely, character models look great, texture work is phenomenal, and the atmospheric effects like rain and fog are remarkably well done as well.
Unfortunately it seems like Capcom designed the game a little past the hardware's limitations. It's almost never running 100% smooth, even when nothing is going on. During boss battles or more action packed sections it often gets really sluggish unfortunately. During one particular boss fight, the 3ds hardware reminded me of someone coughing up his own blood from exhaustion. The screen doesn't do the game any justice either. It's just way too ****ing tiny, dim and lacking in contrast. It's one of those dark-ass handheld games you can completely forget about unless lighting conditions are 100% ideal.

I don't know where you're getting such extreme problems regarding framerate and screen visibility. Having played the game quite a bit so far I have to think you're exaggerating quite a bit here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the retail game now.

- Shooting while moving is awesome.
- 3D works really well.
- Turning 3D off enables some form of anti-aliasing ( Super sample? )
- Frame rate is rock solid and only really drops when entering new rooms or areas so I assume the drops are caused by loading or streaming.
- Graphics are really good and down right impressive in places, Surpasses Resident Evil 4 in places.
- Only thing lacking is polygon count.
- Game play is true old school Resident Evil.
- Music and atmosphere are also to notch

:D

Back