AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

I disagree.
The leaked (and retired) ISA published on AMD site was reporting Sea Islands ISA inside as title.
"Sea Islands Series Instruction Set Architecture"
Sometimes the meaning of names change over time and everything isn't updated accordingly.

I disagree.
The leaked (and retired) ISA published on AMD site was reporting Sea Islands ISA inside as title.
"Sea Islands Series Instruction Set Architecture"
This is what Dave Bauman said about it when it got published:
Roadmap names have never actually indicated a particular IP level, though a correlation has been often been there it is not the case 100% (i.e. Northern Islands, Rx2xx, etc.). The way things are organized now the correlation will become less distinct - we have an IP organization function and an SOC execution group that directly report through the BU; the IP sets that are used will be leveraged according to whatever particular IP is available for the time-to-market requirements of the particular SOC being dealt with. The Roadmap names are little more than descriptions for the level of work required by the SOC team.

Unfortunately the document above [the C.I. ISA manual] is not described correctly because the only "Sea Islands" part that is available right now is Oland which uses the same IP set as Tahiti/Pitcairn/Verde. I've contacted the publisher of the doc and suggested that it would be more accurate to describe the document by Graphics IP level.
Two days later it disppeared.

It says exactly that the Sea Islands ISA appeared does not match any GCN 1.0 marketed product today, so it got retired. IT does not say it is wrong for any other reason.
And by the content of the ISA, that is pretty clear since GCN 1.0 does not support FLAT addressing.

It says exactly what Alexko claimed (and you disputed). It says that the name "Sea Islands" does not correspond to a graphics IP level. There is no Sea Islands ISA. Sea Islands is the name for a product line. It's a "roadmap name".

Curacao was rumored to be the Tahiti/7900 successor, but those rumors also said Hainan is the Pitcairn successor.

I have try refresh my memory, but i was unable to remember if this was part of the " Sea Island " codenames or not.. middle range or not...

Curucao could be middle range in 28nm ( XT+Pro or 9870-9850 ) Hainain will be so the 7700-7750 ... still left some room for the 20nm and Hawaii..

Now seeing some drivers have allready listed Hawaii .. i doubt more of this news.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have try refresh my memory, but i was unable to remember if this was part of the " Sea Island " codenames or not.. middle range or not...
I've assumed that it was, since it was in the same rumored lineup as Bonaire:

Aruba = 2x Curacao
Curacao
Hainan
Bonaire
Oland

I've assumed that it was, since it was in the same rumored lineup as Bonaire:

Aruba = 2x Curacao
Curacao
Hainan
Bonaire
Oland

Considering we have Hawaii and Tonga are already in the drivers (both being volcanic islands in real life) and none of those excluding the obvious Bonaire & Oland, I doubt that list has any meaning anymore

Curucao could be middle range in 28nm ( XT+Pro or 9870-9850 ) Hainain will be so the 7700-7750 ... still left some room for the 20nm and Hawaii..

Now seeing some drivers have allready listed Hawaii .. i doubt more of this news.

Hainan is a low-end chip, that much is official. Don't know about Curaçao.

At any rate, dismay about the presistence of VLIW in AMD's APUs was noted in 2013.
Also, AMD's business-class SKUs have guaranteed lifespans, so VLIW will linger for some time.

http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/news/20140820_662891.html
Google translated:
The R7 250XE Radeon, Radeon R7 250X "has been customized for the Japanese market" and (expert-oriented). The GPU "ideal for small PC for" and (same), other auxiliary power is not required, in LowProfile corresponding card has become one slot specification. In addition, thoughts "E" of R7 250XE, called (for easy installation) Express and (eco) Eco Efficiency that has been put.

Just R7 250X with slightly different clocks, or new revision of Cape Verde like TPU suggests? (or even completely new GPU?)
http://www.techpowerup.com/204383/mysterious-amd-radeon-r7-250xe-shows-up.html

Edit: Could it be even Iceland, and belong to Volcanic Islands?

Back