AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Yup, long time. With the significantly slowed down product cycle, I will stick with it for quite a while.
Performance increase has come from IPC (+50% roundabout) and twice the cores and of course frequency (both CPUs were/are overclocked by about 25%).

Anyway, that's too much off topic. My point was that I'm not impressed with price/performance from both sides thus far. I don't overclock GPUs, for power consumption increases disproportionately usually from an already high level. So this is a pro-factor for price/perf of this generation that I disregard.

According to the helpful SEC filing link above, in the last 9 months, they added $500M in cash and marketable securities, all else roughly constant. Not too shabby, right?! Wall Street doesn't give a damn about what happened 5 years ago.
Bear in mind that for all of this period they are receiving quarterly payments from Intel ($66M per quarter, IIRC) and NVIDIA attribute that directly to the GeForce GPU bottom line.

Bear in mind that for all of this period they are receiving quarterly payments from Intel ($66M per quarter, IIRC) and NVIDIA attribute that directly to the GeForce GPU bottom line.

:oops: :cry:

So unfair and sad for AMD. So, those are playing in team against you. Any action plans to counter it because I suspect you will not win it alone without support from someone bigger?! :???:

AMD recieved a similar payout from Intel prior to this, though it was taken in a one-off payment.

:oops: :cry:

So unfair and sad for AMD. So, those are playing in team against you. Any action plans to counter it because I suspect you will not win it alone without support from someone bigger?! :???:

It's nothing like that. Another thing is that AMD got quite a sum of money from Intel a couple of years back as well, you won't hear NVIDIA complain about that either. I think we're getting off topic here though. I thought this thread was about R1100 speculation.

Ah, Dave is a bit faster than me it seems :D.

AMD got a one-off payment of $1.5 billion or so, Nvidia got $1 billion over a number of quarters and added that to their gpu income. If you remove that they've basically made nothing for years.

Sure they are doing better right now, but my point is if it takes AMD to be this bad before Nvidia can make money, then that says more about Nvidia than it does AMD. Do they need all of the stars to align in order to make a small profit? Sure looks that way.

We'll also see how well they do now that Intel is paying them a lot closer attention.

You forgot the financial crisis that has been ongoing since 2009.

And let me guess, this doesn't affect AMD? :rolleyes: It doesn't appear to be affecting intel or apple or any other properly run company that much however.

Just face it, AMD are in a mess and Nvidia is barely able to take advantage. Both of these companies are awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
AMD got a one-off payment of $1.5 billion or so, Nvidia got $1 billion over a number of quarters and added that to their gpu income. If you remove that they've basically made nothing for years.

Sure they are doing better right now, but my point is if it takes AMD to be this bad before Nvidia can make money, then that says more about Nvidia than it does AMD. Do they need all of the stars to align in order to make a small profit? Sure looks that way.

We'll also see how well they do now that Intel is paying them a lot closer attention.

:oops: :(

Oh, that's my fault then. I didn't know that NV sued for something Intel and those were guilty in charge... :D

And let me guess, this doesn't affect AMD? :rolleyes: It doesn't appear to be affecting intel or apple or any other properly run company that much however.

Just face it, AMD are in a mess and Nvidia is barely able to take advantage. Both of these companies are awful.

Of course it affects Nvidia as well. Don't put words into my mouth. Nvidia and AMD are much smaller than Apple or Intel, that is a bad comparison.

Nvidia has gained marketshare left and right, I would surely call that "taking advantage". Even without Intels payment they are making money. It seem you are badmouthing Nvidia just for the sake of it. There is a thread in another section of this forum about that, if you absolutely must.

AMD's GPU division is and has been doing quite well after the R600. Execution has been pretty good, so basically your argument has a very poor base on that fact alone. In addition nVidia isn't just making money "right now". They have been profitable for quite some time, the current fiscal year ending soon will have a very good net result, last one was very good and the one prior to that was also profitable at around 250M...

Over 3 quarters, that's ~$200M. Not bad at all. But they still added $300M in other cash and equiv. over the same period. And they only get PS3 royalties (similar to XBOX360?) but no PS4 and XBOX720 NRE and/or royalties (if rumors are true) and no Nintendo royalties either. I'm not holding that against AMD, of course, but if you start dissecting income streams...

Anyway, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the fact that some seem to think that, financially, Nvidia should be ridiculed for miserable performance, when they are an extremely healthy company compared to most of their industry peers. 40% of their market cap is cash and they started paying dividends. This line of argumentation doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me, jimbo.

AMD got a one-off payment of $1.5 billion or so, Nvidia got $1 billion over a number of quarters and added that to their gpu income.
It's actually $1.25B for AMD and $1.5B for Nvidia. In other words, Nvidia for the win again! (I couldn't help it. ;) )

It's actually $1.25B for AMD and $1.5B for Nvidia. In other words, Nvidia for the win again! (I couldn't help it. ;) )

Except that they lost all consoles. No consoles this round for NV. :mrgreen:
And also, NV is the more ugly company which hasn't spent anything to purchase someone else. Just take from their value 5 bln $ and they will be in the same, if not worse position than AMD. :)

Except that they lost all consoles. No consoles this round for NV. :mrgreen:
And also, NV is the more ugly company which hasn't spent anything to purchase someone else. Just take from their value 5 bln $ and they will be in the same, if not worse position than AMD. :)
I have no idea what you're trying to say?

AMD got a one-off payment of $1.5 billion or so, Nvidia got $1 billion over a number of quarters and added that to their gpu income.

My god are you really so dense and myopic that you can't even get the facts of the Intel settlements/payments right.

AMD one-off payment from Intel was for the settlement of the anti-trust case and was $1.2 billion. That payment will never happen again.

Nvidia got $1.5 billion from Intel for licensing of the GPU patents that Nvidia owns and will be paid out over six years. After the six years are up another licensing agreement will be negotiated so expect these payments to reoccur.

Intel to Pay NVIDIA Technology Licensing Fees of $1.5 Billion

http://pressroom.nvidia.com/easyir/...CE9F579F09&prid=706607&releasejsp=release_157

NVIDIA Settles with Intel for $1.5 Billion

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/1/10/nvidia-settles-with-intel-for-2415-billion.aspx

My god are you really so dense and myopic that you can't even get the facts of the Intel settlements/payments right.

AMD one-off payment from Intel was for the settlement of the anti-trust case and was $1.2 billion. That payment will never happen again.

Nvidia got $1.5 billion from Intel for licensing of the GPU patents that Nvidia owns and will be paid out over six years. After the six years are up another licensing agreement will be negotiated so expect these payments to reoccur.

Intel to Pay NVIDIA Technology Licensing Fees of $1.5 Billion

http://pressroom.nvidia.com/easyir/...CE9F579F09&prid=706607&releasejsp=release_157

NVIDIA Settles with Intel for $1.5 Billion

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/1/10/nvidia-settles-with-intel-for-2415-billion.aspx

It's so confusing. So, I am kind of right. At least I still think so. This is just an official "legitimate" way for Intel to sponsor NV and to fight not very fairly AMD. Sucks very badly. :devilish:

S|A says no Sea Islands for Q1, moved back while they sell all these Radeon's stockpiled for the massive Windows 8 bubble that wasn't.

It's so confusing. So, I am kind of right. At least I still think so. This is just an official "legitimate" way for Intel to sponsor NV and to fight not very fairly AMD. Sucks very badly. :devilish:

Are you for real!!!

Intel is paying Nvidia to license patents that Nvidia owns. Intel needs the rights to those patents so that Intel can produce GPUs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back