AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Anyone else have an opinion?

Remember the rumors about the HD7970 and the XDR2 rambus .. and finally it was just GDDR5. Seriously the 7970 have allready 264GB/s of memory bandwith.. let say the next is at 300GB/s.. largely enough even with eyefinity setup..

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the rumors about the HD7970 and the XDR2 rambus .. and finally it was just GDDR5. Seriously the 7970 have allready 264GB/s of memory bandwith.. let say the next is at 300GB/s.. largely enough even with eyefinity setup..

Top parts are the only parts, right?

Top parts are the only parts, right?

HD 8000 will be largely just and simply revised HD 7000. I don't know why you want so major changes.
Stacked memory may debute with APUs, not videocards. ;)
The lower the videocards market segment, the lower the need of such a major change leading to improved memory bandwidth.

Now you can explain why you need stacked memory on HD 8670.

HD 8000 will be largely just and simply revised HD 7000. I don't know why you want so major changes.
Stacked memory may debute with APUs, not videocards. ;)
The lower the videocards market segment, the lower the need of such a major change leading to improved memory bandwidth.

Now you can explain why you need stacked memory on HD 8670.

APU will make a better use of stacked memory ... first they can use them as main memory, when the cpu will still use the system memory.

This will allow a better use of the interconnect and why not finally the real use of virtual memory space.

AMD Radeon 8000 Series To Support DirectX 11.1

According to Fudzilla, AMD has already told some of its partners that company is aiming to add a DirectX 11.1 support to their newest GPUs. It’s pretty obvious information, while it’s unimaginable that upcoming series of graphics cards would not support the latest DirectX (not yet released though). Anyway, it’s semi-official right now. And we should expect the same from NVIDIA. There were plenty of rumors almost a year ago that actual Kepler GPUs would support it, as it turned out, they don’t.

This, however, is interesting. GPU-Z reports GTX 680 as supporting DX11.1. So, this should be false reading.

Lastly, it’s also said that the architecture of Sea Islands GPUs will receive many changes. Then comparing the same number of cores in GPUs from Northern Islands and Sea Islands will not correspond to the same performance (this would also throw out the rumored Radeon HD 8970 specification that was leaked months ago).
Which one?
"Tenerife" (let's call it in this way) might be a 5100 MTrans at ~410 mm^2 beast with 2560 SPs , 160 TMUs, 32 or 48 ROPs, 384bit GDDR5 and 30-40% faster than Tahiti.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1653076&postcount=312

Someone should tell these guys that Southern Islands arch is out and it already supports DX11.1. The change in the shaders (4D->1D) is also there.

Someone should tell these guys that Southern Islands arch is out and it already supports DX11.1. The change in the shaders (4D->1D) is also there.

Exactly.

fehu, it's quite small additions, but at least parts of it requires hardware support eg HD5/6 and GTX4/5 (and Fermi-based 6) don't support it.

Does 11.1 bring anything interesting over plain jane 11? Also is it true that 11.1 is strictly Windows 8?

Nvidia said, that Kepler supports DX11.1 (at launch), but it wasn't written in any official presentation as far as I remember.

Why wasn't it written? They hide something or something stinks. I don't agree that it is normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it isn't very typical. I asked local PR (just a day before launch) if the GTX 680 supports DX11 or 11.1. I was told, that he found one mention of DX11.1 in some internal document, so he believes it supports DX11.1.

Yes, it isn't very typical. I asked local PR (just a day before launch) if the GTX 680 supports DX11 or 11.1. I was told, that he found one mention of DX11.1 in some internal document, so he believes it supports DX11.1.

:oops:

WOW, that supposedly means that even THEY don't know whether their product supports this technology. :LOL:

So, I'm willing to believe that DX11.1 is supported by AMD only and it is marketing checkbox feature. But because AMD's marketing department was destroyed, now there is lack of any reasonable clarity on this particular question. I mean if DX11.1 is worth it, what's new, when (or if) will it be supported.

Much worse than DX10.1 where at least you had some obvious advantages and NV ruined everything. :devilish:

Since the last few driver releases:

wpWwG.png

That means 'working what particular API', as opposed to 'fully complain with'

ManuelG:
The NVIDIA Control Panel lists the API supported by the GPU (DX 11.1) and not feature level (DX 11.0)

Back