How many vertex,pixel shaders and textures...

I wasn't sure which forum to post in... so if a mod could place this thread in a better forum thank you.

I was just curious how many vertex, pixel shaders and textures do modern games ship with? Is there any site that keeps statistics for such stuff?

Thanks in advance for any help.

That information isn't publically available. We have a polygon count thread to try and identify how many polys are in use in a game, but that only describes models and not vertices used in rendering which is typically several times the number of vertices used to make the models. So sadly this thread won't have any answers.

On console, anyway. On PC games are readily ripped and explored, and sometimes the devs are helpful enough to package everything into datasets of models, textures, etc.

Most games do not encrypt their shaders, so you can go in and check ;)
I'd say between 1000 and 2000 pipelines (combination of all shaders required to render a mesh) for AAA titles, based on my own experience working on such titles.
As for textures, I never checked, usually my job is to manage those in flight in memory, not caring too much about disk space ^^
But for that too you can just open a game's archive files and check by yourself ;)

I doubt most devs could tell you.
Shaders are often composited at runtime based on assets. Though we used to record what was used and package cached versions to remove the compilation cost.
Devs don't really look at assets the same way they did 15 years ago, it's mostly in the hands of the artists and tools. Usually you look at them to figure out why something is behaving unpredictably. Occasionally you'll page through textures to identify the 1024x1024 tooth texture (yes I've actually seen this) .

Seen 2048*256 arrow, I win ! ;)
Some time ago I was scrolling/zooming in our virtual texture browser and noticed that all our traffic signs were 4096x4096. At least you could have zoomed really close on those :)

It's really hard to draw any conclusions of shader and texture counts, because different technologies scale differently. For example deferred rendering decouples lighting from geometry and causes dramatical reduction in shader permutations. Engines using virtual texturing or texture atlases heavily have also much lower texture counts compared to traditional techniques.

We used to have on the order of 2000-2500 shader permutations when we used a forward renderer; when we went deferred, they dropped to around 500-700, and are slowly but surely climbing back up as we continue to add features. Still some way to go until we reach the forward renderer count.

As for textures - our previous shipped game used to have 2500 individual art assets (of which about 500 were never used by the level designers, on any level). Each of them had a diffuse texture, a great many also had normal map textures, and some had more complex stuff like per-pixel specular/gloss maps, material index maps etc. I guess that makes for something like 5000-6000 textures. This is for a small and relatively cheap (in terms of budget) PC/360 action adventure.

Back