Last of Us [PS4]

Hm, light engine looks good...the rest really suffers from those old console tec...what a pitty :(
Why did they not focus on PS4 launch :(

Am cry! Who joins crying?

Hm, light engine looks good...the rest really suffers from those old console tec...what a pitty :(
Why did they not focus on PS4 launch :(

Am cry! Who joins crying?
Yeah, you know Naughty Dog had 2 internal teams? The one doing Uncharted 3 is either drinking heavy after finishing the game, went to a Tibetan monastery or changed their profession to prepare for a musical starring fogs and goats.

A pity that ND dint use their second team to work on an yet unannounced PS4 game instead

Yeah, you know Naughty Dog had 2 internal teams? The one doing Uncharted 3 is either drinking heavy after finishing the game, went to a Tibetan monastery or changed their profession to prepare for a musical starring fogs and goats.

A pity that ND dint use their second team to work on an yet unannounced PS4 game instead

Yeah, there is some speculation about ND showing a new IP for PS4 at E3, but i don't think we'll see anything from them until 2014/15.

Yeah, but I did talk about Last of Us for PS4 launch...would be perfect for PS4 with all this effort put in...

I love it that LoU is coming to ps3 instead of 4. It's nice to see what experienced devs pull off with a platform once they are very confortable with it, and a longer schedule. This is going to be among the ultimate best looking and most technically acomplished games of the whole gen. In ps4 it would be impressive when lauched, and look funny and dated 6 months after that.

then why the delay? Wheres the demo??!?! What happen to the MP?!?

The original release date was May 7th, over a week ago. If its going gold now, I'm not sure what your confusion would be about the delay?

The demo is set for May 31st.

They have been super quiet publicly about MP, but recently tweeted about the playtesting they've been doing.

A small step for Gaikai progressive download ?

Digital Version Of The Last Of Us Playable During Download
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...be-released-digitally-same-day-as-retail.aspx

Naughty Dog has told Game Informer that its upcoming survival horror epic The Last of Us will be released digitally through the PlayStation Store on June 14, the same day that the game releases in stores on Blu-ray disc.

... Sony has worked a little magic so that you won't have much of a delay before playing the digital version. The game will be playable once the download hits 50 percent. Sony has promised that, on PlayStation 4, downloadable games will be almost instantly playable while the download carries on in the background.

A small step for Gaikai progressive download ?

Digital Version Of The Last Of Us Playable During Download
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...be-released-digitally-same-day-as-retail.aspx

Sony has promised that, on PlayStation 4, downloadable games will be almost instantly playable while the download carries on in the background.

The "promises" game journalist imagine up never cease to amaze me. They're also typically the first to criticize said companies for "breaking their promises". They seem to be confusing the instant demo streaming from Gaikai (future plan) to the PlayGo progressive download feature (immediate - intermediate goal).

Sorry, that type of thing really annoys me. Anyway, quite surprising that they're trying this with the PS3 given its discrete download and decompression/install procedures. I'm going to guess that they're not changing that, and perhaps simply downloading and then installing the first half, and then treating the remaining half as some DLC is handled now (ie relatively transparently).

EDIT

For my own reference, I went back to check what was actually said:

PlayGo
Mark Cerny; 24:20 said:
On the PlayStation 4 digital titles are playable even as they are being downloaded. When you purchase a title you download just a fraction of the data to begin playing. The rest of the data is downloaded in the background as you continue playing.

Gaikai Demos:
David Perry; 31:00 said:
With the Gaikai Cloud technology, our goal is to make free exploration possible for virtually any PlayStation 4 game in the PlayStation Store. So imagine you're in the store, checking out the latest titles and you see something that catches your eye. No problem. You can simply press the X Button to hop in and instantly start playing the game.

Distinction was pretty clear (especially with the slides providing further context of purchases vs demos) just as I remembered it. Appologiies again for going off on a tangent. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we know if it possitively affects game performance, i.e. framerate?
no, unless they have done something really stupid.
Furthermore, I thought that modern PS3 games use BD and HDD simultaneously to maximize bandwith...so maybe a pure HDD installation has less performance?
HDD is usually used as cache for BD, if something is in HDD cache it's loaded from there.
BD has long seek time and combination of BD+HDD is most likely always slower than just using HDD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back