Pure Chess / Hustle Kings: what's the secret behind the Graphics?

onQ

Veteran
I'm pretty sure most of you already seen Hustle Kings for the PS3 a few times & notice that the Pool Balls look as if they are Ray-Traced, I know it's not ray-tracing but it looks really close to it, & now there is this Chess game 'Pure Chess' for the PS3 & Vita that has that same look as if the game is using ray tracing, I'm not up on all the different Graphical & Lighting Technologies but these 2 games stuck out to me, can someone tell me what's going on in these games that make them look so realistic?

6390089961_00e783f63b_b.jpg

6390089781_327bcb35d2_b.jpg

6390089685_50cc025cd2_b.jpg

6390089747_62e90b9750_b.jpg

Prebaked lighting on very detailed models. The lighting isn't going to change much on the pieces. Environment reflection map but no piece reflections, and weak shadowing from the pieces, shows there's not much going on. This is just what conventional graphics look like in very simple scenes! It's also why no-one would try to pull off an open-world chess game - we all know these on-rails chess games are going to look much better than a free roam chess RPG...

Prebaked lighting on very detailed models. The lighting isn't going to change much on the pieces. Environment reflection map but no piece reflections, and weak shadowing from the pieces, shows there's not much going on. This is just what conventional graphics look like in very simple scenes! It's also why no-one would try to pull off an open-world chess game - we all know these on-rails chess games are going to look much better than a free roam chess RPG...

You can see reflections of the chess pieces in the third shot.

Yeah, real-time reflections like that are already tough for PS3, but these are Vita shots, aren't they?

Will be interesting to see what Hustle Kings looks like on Vita in that respect. Regarding Hustle Kings, we had a developer for that game pop in here a year or so back explaining the tech behind the lighting and reflections on the balls.

Yeah, real-time reflections like that are already tough for PS3, but these are Vita shots, aren't they?

Will be interesting to see what Hustle Kings looks like on Vita in that respect. Regarding Hustle Kings, we had a developer for that game pop in here a year or so back explaining the tech behind the lighting and reflections on the balls.

I didn't know this before I posted this thread but this game is made by the same people who made Hustle Kings , I guess that's why the games have that same look to them.

Back