The hugely scientific B3D hardware failure poll 2011 edition

How many consoles have you got through?

• Total voters
I gave ~year ago my euro launch ps3 and now 2 year old xbox360 to a friend. Asked today and both machines are still running just fine. Similar note my euro launch ps2 is also still working though it sees almost no use. I think ps1 I bought 1997 and gave later on to a relative is most likely broken(not certain though).

US Launch PS3, Slim PS3, 2x360-Jaspers, all working, one dusty Wii that presumably works too...

The poll needs "I have a Wii, but haven't been inclined to turn it on at any point in 2011, so I don't really know" option.

My 20Gb Euro Launch 360 (that I bought from someone for 160 euros who won it shortly after launch) still works, but is used quite sparingly (Forza 3 and 4, a few XBLA games). I have had 3 PS3, of which my only fat died this year (so that's after four years extensive use for games, dvds, bluray, streaming, etc.). It was a 60GB part-BC and it got the ylod, not bluray drive issues (which seem to happen most often to 40GB models). I still have it lying around because it isn't deactivated yet.

Not quite relevant, but I also have two PSPs, one Japanese launch, and one white Daxter pack (2006?). The white one has fallen into the water while on, completely submerged, but has dried up just fine and now works again pretty much without issues. As a comparison, my iPhone 3GS is crapping out all of its connectors (headphone jack, charger hub), after just two years. In my office, about half the 3GS have developed issues with its switches (mute button fails most often), connectors or buttons.

My 20Gb Euro Launch 360 (that I bought from someone for 160 euros who won it shortly after launch) still works, but is used quite sparingly (Forza 3 and 4, a few XBLA games). I have had 3 PS3, of which my only fat died this year (so that's after four years extensive use for games, dvds, bluray, streaming, etc.). It was a 60GB part-BC and it got the ylod, not bluray drive issues (which seem to happen most often to 40GB models). I still have it lying around because it isn't deactivated yet.

Not quite relevant, but I also have two PSPs, one Japanese launch, and one white Daxter pack (2006?). The white one has fallen into the water while on, completely submerged, but has dried up just fine and now works again pretty much without issues. As a comparison, my iPhone 3GS is crapping out all of its connectors (headphone jack, charger hub), after just two years. In my office, about half the 3GS have developed issues with its switches (mute button fails most often), connectors or buttons.

Can't you deactivate it now from the qriocity site or is the website only working in certain regions?

Bought my xb360 6 mon after launch, it died. Sold it and replaced with slim. No problems so far.

Friend of mines broke, sent back, replacement unit started getting sketchy, he gave it away, replaced with slim. But he games a LOT. At least 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Then he gets pissed when his console/controllers act up. :rolleyes:

:LOL:

Not to discredit your concept Shifty, but I think a better poll might be how long did your console last before being replaced and just leave Wii out of it as it really wasn't in the same league this gen:

<1yr
1-2 yr
2-4 yr
Still alive

As I posted in the ps3 thread, I think most disk based consoles have a limited shelf life anyway if prior gen consoles are anything to go by ...

I bought my first 360 `1 yr after launch in October 2006. At this time there were rumblings about reliability issues with the console (though, this was before the real scope of the problem was known) and so I bought an extended warranty. This console lasted until June before it got RROD, and that console also had a DVD drive that damaged discs. I returned it to the store and got a new one off the shelf. Not realizing that I could keep my hard drive, I lost all of my saves (At this point I didn't have many games, though, so it wasn't that big of a deal). This unit lasted for a couple of years and in that time I paid to further extend my extended warranty for 2 more years. So when this console failed, I got another new one off the shelf (with HDMI, which was nice) and kept my 20GB HD (they took the included 60GB out of the box before they gave me the new one). This unit is the one I'm still using today with no issues. I even upgraded to a 250GB HD.

My PS3 slim works fine, as one would expect. Especially since it gets fairly light use.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize it was a multiple choice poll. Add one to My PS3 keeps working, then. Also, looking at how others have voted, does it make sense to vote that you have had consoles fail AND that your (current) console is still "going strong", because then I'd have to add one to having a working 360, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not counting the working PS3 I exchanged/upgraded via BestBuy extended warranty, I see 10 PS3s among my friends and relatives. 2 died (I believe they were seldom used). I know one was a BR drive failure. Not sure about the other case.

I work out my PS3 heavily. Music Unlimited and gaming every weekday for 10-12 hours straight. No issues yet. And of course I just jinxed them. I hope the new hybrid 7200rpm HDD doesn't overheat my trusty units.

EDIT: My bad, I think the other faulty PS3 was used daily.

Can't you deactivate it now from the qriocity site or is the website only working in certain regions?

After the last PSN maintenance, I think they cleared your activated device list. The system will automatically activate your devices when you use them after 17th Nov.

And yes, you should still be able to check them on the Qriocity site.

Launch PS3 is fine. One 360 died but my Elite is perfectly fine (although I've replaced it with a 360S now just for the hell of it).

That "What's a console" made me realise my gaming laptop's screen has died at least 3 times!

EDIT: Just realised my friend's launch PS3 recently died. I kind of feel I should've ticked the death of 1 x PS3 as I bought it for him! The so & so got a replacement Slim from me too.

I had a RRoD the moment I plugged my 360 into the wall socket. Great success! I panicked of course (it was after all still a 400€ system back then, and actually one that was rather hard to come by due to supply shortages), but then the thing suddenly started working regardless.
12 months later I had to send it in for repair because the disc drive crapped out on me. No RRoD though. The real big bummer was that thanks to some royal fuck-ups by the MS costumer service, the replacement of the machine took almost 9 months. I was literally on the phone with these hotline idiots 3 times every week.

The disc drive in my 60 gig PS3 went bad as well. Of course it happened right after the warranty period had ended.

You know, I answered wrong. I have 2x 360 Jaspers, but one was originally a Falcon that RROD'd and was replaced with a Jasper. I totally forgot (the luxury of 2 units I supposed). So I'm 50% on 360s and no PS3 failures.

Do we count only our own owned machines, or all the machines we worked with? Because if it''s consoles that I've been around then it's over 170+ failures on both launch 360's and PS3's, and that's only counting one particular studio I worked at. If it's only consoles that have been in my house then one failed of each launch unit, both 360 and PS3. From a reliability point of view, the console hardware this gen is truly garbage on both sides.

Dev and QA devices will naturally fail (or brick) more because of alpha/beta software. Some of those devices may be repairable in the software sense after they are returned to Sony and MS ?

EDIT: I reckon those AirForce cluster PS3s will also fail more than our average console PS3s.

Dev and QA devices will naturally fail (or brick) more because of alpha/beta software. Some of those devices may be repairable in the software sense after they are returned to Sony and MS ?

EDIT: I reckon those AirForce cluster PS3s will also fail more than our average console PS3s.

It's hardware failures, software failures can be fixed without shipping the units back. The hardware in most cases is largely identical to what you buy in stores (360 dev kits and ps3 test kits), therefore if they failed in our lab then they will fail in your home. Most of them were used by q/a, and all they did was use it to play the games. Nothing fancy, just boot the games and play them, and poof they broke. It's unacceptable really, but the good news is that all of us in the biz at the time saw the failures ahead of time and were largely able to sell off our units. Except my launch ps3 which broke while my auction was live on ebay :(

Ah but dev kits have more memory and debugging aid, and may not be subjected to strict QA controls like retail units. They are not retail units per se.

I have worked with pre-release consumer devices. They may even look the same from outside, but the hardware revision (and software) can be different. The dev/test units I had also overheat more easier than the retail ones.

Ah but dev kits have more memory and debugging aid, and may not be subjected to strict QA controls like retail units. They are not retail units per se.

All the hardware irregardless is built on the same assembly lines with the same processes of the time, be they dev test kit or retail box. If the cpu or optical drive fails on one, it will fail on the other because they are the same.

Back