Alan Wake XBLA

Scott_Arm

Legend
Looks like the new Alan Wake game is going to be a Live Arcade title. One screenshot at Game Informer. Details at Spike TV game awards on December 10th. I would like to point out that he's holding a flashlight and a power drill. Not the most versatile weapon, but gets the job done. Seems more of a gore horror type weapon, than something for fighting the enemies in the first game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/11/07/first-look-at-the-next-alan-wake.aspx

My main problem with the first was, thought it was amazing halfway through, but by the end I was really sick of it. Enough to pretty much vow to never play any iteration of it again.

BUT, if they spruce up the gfx nicely enough (720P framebuffer) AND produce a shorter (6 hours?), more tight experience, which xbla implies, I might actually be interested.

I thought the firsts gfx were really quite amazing, only crippled by the 540P.

My main problem with the first was, thought it was amazing halfway through, but by the end I was really sick of it. Enough to pretty much vow to never play any iteration of it again.

BUT, if they spruce up the gfx nicely enough (720P framebuffer) AND produce a shorter (6 hours?), more tight experience, which xbla implies, I might actually be interested.

I thought the firsts gfx were really quite amazing, only crippled by the 540P.

I liked the game a lot!! Was really good with phantastic story telling imo. Looking forward to see what is next! I still have to play the DLC...but I cannot find my copy of AW, guess I have borrowed it...damn, never borrow stuff people...except stuff you want to get rid of :D

I really enjoyed Alan Wake, even though the story was ridiculous, and there wasn't a big enough variety in enemies. Somehow I enjoyed the structure of the story, and the weird moments, even though I didn't like the story too much in itself. The visuals really are great, but they are hurt by the resolution, big time. If I had to choose, I'd keep the resolution over bumping the resolution at the expense of lighting. Hopefully the screen tearing will be gone too. It was the only game where screen tearing really bothered me.

The only problem I had with Alan Wake was the book pages littered all over the place. Those interrupted the flow of the game, were poorly written, there were too many of them and often they basically just spoiled what's going to happen next... Other than that it was a solid game and I'm glad I played it through. Haven't touched any of the DLC for it though.

I really enjoyed Alan Wake, even though the story was ridiculous, and there wasn't a big enough variety in enemies. Somehow I enjoyed the structure of the story, and the weird moments, even though I didn't like the story too much in itself. The visuals really are great, but they are hurt by the resolution, big time. If I had to choose, I'd keep the resolution over bumping the resolution at the expense of lighting. Hopefully the screen tearing will be gone too. It was the only game where screen tearing really bothered me.

Tearing was indeed very annoying in this game - I'd get a slight bump in resolution, improved shadows, a steady 30fps and more non-scripted physics based set pieces than a full 720p framebuffer and being the same thing game-wise anytime...maybe I'm asking for too much and the engine will show what is capable of in the next xbox where a proper AW sequel is rumored to been in development.

Either way I really enjoyed the first game and especially the story & characters so more AW is always welcome as long as it progresses the story aspect of the first game.

I would like to point out that he's holding a flashlight and a power drill. Not the most versatile weapon, but gets the job done. Seems more of a gore horror type weapon, than something for fighting the enemies in the first game.
Looks more like a nailer judging from the magazine in front (apparently there are battery-powered cordless versions now), so it should have some range.

Looks more like a nailer judging from the magazine in front (apparently there are battery-powered cordless versions now), so it should have some range.

Looks like you are correct! I didn't notice that. Still, I wonder if this is going to be more of a monster horror type game.

Loved Alan Wake including the DLC so I'm ready to play some more though I personally would have preferred more DLC for the original title.

Looks like more of an action game. Animations look better. Graphics look nicer, but it's hard to see what compromises they've made. Lighting still looks pretty cool from the flare and whatnot. I was hoping to see a little refinement to the core gameplay. Looks pretty much the same. Will definitely try it out when it's released.

Back