TES V: Skyrim

Did everyone lose their treasure chests? I looked all around with the treasure map thinking it would be a fun quest. Then I finally gave up and looked online and lo and behold bethesda decided to remove them in the patch apparently. So I wasted 20-30 min trying to find something that no longer exists :)
What patch? I don't recall any information about that, and the last chest I went looking for was right where the map said it would be. That was a couple weeks ago, though.

Well treasure map 4 was the one I was looking for and it wasn't there. Lots of other people have the same experience. It might have to do with when you find the map, before or after the patch etc...

I've put almost 70h into this so far. Some things and bugs are bothering me a bit. One bug caused of the main quest "bosses" to take no damage until I loaded an earlier save, took me while to understand it's a bug instead of some magic the boss did or something like that.

More and more I have noticed inadequate reactions from the NPCs to the stuff happening on screen. I'm fighting a dragon with city quards and two seconds after the battle, the guard says jealously "my cousin is out there fighting dragons and I'm here on city guard" Also the last mission in the civil war... I was with empire and was at the last castle, Ulfric was on his knees already, but the general and the legate were still saying the same things they said back at the castle before the mission and it sounded really stupid.

Small things, but those and lot's of other stuff like that are popping up more and more.

How long is the main quest line BTW?
I just fought against Alduin at the top of the mountain and he flew away.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long is the main quest line BTW?
I just fought against Alduin at the top of the mountain and he flew away.

You are roughly at about 70%. After that there are only two or three major events IIRC.

Now I have played two characters and starting my third character, I think it'd be much better if the save system is grouped by characters. Since game breaking bugs still happen "occasionally," it's important to have multiple saves for each character. But the current system is very cumbersome. It's not hard to do either. For saving, it should show only save files of your current character. And for loading, it should show a list of your characters first, then you select a save file from your selected character.

Another way is to have auto saves grouped by characters, then you just need one main save file for each character. But of course then three auto save slots wouldn't be enough (it's better to have five or more for each character).

Thanks for the info!

Just like in Witcher I have overkill amount of save files. I think I have at least 200 manual saves in Skyrim and I can go back to pretty much any moment in time. I think I had 4GBs of Witcher 1 save files...

edit: Skyrim save folder is at 1.68GB at the moment, so not quite where I was in Witcher yet, what can I say I like to save :)

Buhahah?

A Novice Necromancer just attacked me by siccing his three undead pet chickens on me... (!!!) He also breathed some totally inconsequential frost damage spell on me; I killed him in one hit and then his chickens sadly turned to dust. He had built a shrine/totem of sort of an animal skull, a human ribcage and a chicken's nest on top, with a chicken egg in it, and some more chicken eggs in a bowl underneath the whole contraption, along with a soul gem. What a kook! He must have REALLY liked chickens in life, and now he is dead too. lol.

I was also attacked by TWO ancient dragons at once at an old nord shrine/ruin some distance roughly west of Riften, well up in the mountains. Where at least one of the dragons had been nesting rose a lich, who threw some pretty badass spells at me. Luckily I had knocked down the difficulty a notch because I'm running around leveling destruction, 2-handed weapons and previously also heavy armor; I'm at skillcap there now but the armor is still chanted with destruction chants so I can cast spells in that school at zero mana, and I'm not gonna change clothes until I'm done leveling destro.

Oh... And one word: Underdark. :D

Stumbled upon that place a couple days ago, and was like, whatta...! It was certainly an eyeopener for sure - in a manner of speaking.

Skyrim, Skyrim and Skyrim :)

Edit, this comment was ment to be in the What are you playing now? thread :D Don't know how it ended up here :D

I re-installed the patch to try to figure out why I was getting stuttering, took me a while to figure out, but disabling the 60 FPS cap seems to fix it.

Anyone knows if we have to uninstall skyboost for the new patch to work?

EDIT: yes, we need to remove the files.

By the way, check the performance differences between versions "vanilla" 1.3 and 1.4:

patch14beta.png

That's a steady 60-90% improvement, wow.

Probably a good idea to do so anyway. Have to remember how I installed the first accelerator, hopefully it was through NMM.

Really good feedback on GAF from the new patch, apparently does what [strike]Skyboost and the other accelerators did, but better[/strike] what it should have done from the start.

There, fixed it for you. ;)

The LAA support they added after the 4GB loader is debatable since, by and large, you only start noticing improvements with mods. Disabling performance compiler flags since Fallout 3, on the other hand, is simply inexcusable TBH.

Someone ought to calculate the lost sales in all those games (and DLCs) from having back-of-the-box minimum requirements higher than they could have had, missed sales by word of mouth from unhappy gamers, higher volume of support calls, etc.

Holy Ffffffuuuuuuuuuu

Soon as I get home, I'm ripping out Skyboost and signing up for the beta. That's exactly what my i5-520m laptop needs. My Core2Quad desktop rig will be quite happy with it too!

Fallout series have no optimizations either? Whatta... Bethesda, you are your own worst enemy... :rolleyes:

With all the history of bad performance of their games and they deliberately make things worse. Holy carp!

Anyway, at least there's light at the end of the tunnel, that's a substantial performance increase we'll see come next patch! Very exciting. Too bad I'm nearly finished with the game though... Level 79.6, roughly. Got 3 skills left to level up to 100, and then all maxed out.

Dual-wielding one-handers with health and stamina absorb enchants, together with stamina-reduction on power attacks perk on both is very powerful and a lot of fun. I haven't perked up damage yet though, I still need to train the skill to 100 first.

Training block is effing ludicrous though. Takes forever! :(

One problem I'm having right now is I can't proceed in the Companions quest line. I get to the point where
Jorvaskrr is attacked, and everyone just stands in place saying there's been an attack, and there's some wounded companions on the ground along with a couple dead badguys and that's it. Nobody wants to advance my quest/hand out the next one, and there's nobody in the secret hideout either.

I'm also having problems with the Hanging Gardens quest, I've got the book, but the game is still stuck on the step where I'm supposed to retrieve it from a chest. The chest in question is empty because the book's already in my bag; I probably looted it before I got the quest and that probably screwed things up I figure. Too bad I can't drop the book back in, but I can't since you're not allowed to drop quest items. :(

Now that I think about it, I have the same issue with the Alteration and Destruction master-level spell quests from Winterhold too. They refuse to advance. Whatever, though... I don't actually need any of them because my character isn't a mage.

Fallout series have no optimizations either? Whatta... Bethesda, you are your own worst enemy... :rolleyes:

With all the history of bad performance of their games and they deliberately make things worse. Holy carp!

Anyway, at least there's light at the end of the tunnel, that's a substantial performance increase we'll see come next patch! Very exciting. Too bad I'm nearly finished with the game though... Level 79.6, roughly. Got 3 skills left to level up to 100, and then all maxed out.

Dual-wielding one-handers with health and stamina absorb enchants, together with stamina-reduction on power attacks perk on both is very powerful and a lot of fun. I haven't perked up damage yet though, I still need to train the skill to 100 first.

Training block is effing ludicrous though. Takes forever! :(

One problem I'm having right now is I can't proceed in the Companions quest line. I get to the point where
Jorvaskrr is attacked, and everyone just stands in place saying there's been an attack, and there's some wounded companions on the ground along with a couple dead badguys and that's it. Nobody wants to advance my quest/hand out the next one, and there's nobody in the secret hideout either.

I'm also having problems with the Hanging Gardens quest, I've got the book, but the game is still stuck on the step where I'm supposed to retrieve it from a chest. The chest in question is empty because the book's already in my bag; I probably looted it before I got the quest and that probably screwed things up I figure. Too bad I can't drop the book back in, but I can't since you're not allowed to drop quest items. :(

Now that I think about it, I have the same issue with the Alteration and Destruction master-level spell quests from Winterhold too. They refuse to advance. Whatever, though... I don't actually need any of them because my character isn't a mage.

look at skyrim wiki: you find how to manipulate certain quests from command window: you can either reset quests, or set you to a certain midlevel. this helped me when the game did not advance in my master destruction spell quest...

here is the link
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Console_Commands_(Skyrim)

command "SetStage"

Yap, the studio makes spectacular games but they really need a new technical team for the PC.

The Skyboost developer has this conspiracy theory where this is actually sabotage to the PC gaming community.. but if Bethesda really wanted PC gamers out, they could've just scratched the platform altogether.

After a bit of work, I've finally tried out the enchanting/alchemy exploit. Now I've made my mage into an unstoppable killing machine with well over a hundred thousand health, magicka, and stamina, and a weapon which deals millions in damage. I've found out a few things about the game mechanics as well:

1. Alchemy skill depends upon the power of the potions you create. Create a single super-powerful potion and your skill goes through the roof. This means that by far the fastest way to get this exploit done is to not bother with alchemy until you're ready to begin, then just buy those ingredients that will make the fortify restoration potions you need (and the fortify enchant potions for later). Depending upon how good your +alchemy gear is, you'll need to be able to make around 10-15 fortify restoration potions.
2. Speechcraft depends upon the total value of the items you buy/sell, not on the amount you sell them for. I managed to push my speechcraft up from 75 to 100 by selling a couple of potions worth a few hundred thousand gold.
3. The limit of how high you can go on enchanting bonus before the game crashes with certain enchants is about +10,000% to enchanting.

There, fixed it for you. ;)
Oh, I'm not going to argue the point.. lol. What Skyboost did was try to compensate for the poor compiling, it looks like Bethesda actually went back and recompiled the thing themselves, which is no doubt far more efficient (based on the results posted above).

That's seriously one of the dumbest mistakes I've ever heard of a company making, and to think it took them four patches and a modder telling them what the problem was before they figured it out!

Back