RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

I'm not sure if it crashed on me either. I played it almost entirely on my GTX 560. I did play it a bit on the 6950 but that was a joke and I am certain it gave a lot of people quite another impression.

With how positive JC is about static analysis, it seems like a good idea for all large software projects. I imagine that he's not the first guy to look into this though. There were some snide remarks on the forum here after his keynote, regarding his enlightenment, if I recall correctly. ;)

Ive had 1 ctd and of course visual problems
I dont remember having any of those problems with retail q3, q2, q1

Bought it, they still haven't fixed obvious usability things.

The starting videos sound volume is independent on your in-game settings.
You cannot click on the sound volume bar to set it to a value, you need to use +/-, and the new settings aren't applied until you leave the sound page, which makes you go in/out to set it properly.
The game auto-saves right after the intro video, but if you try to explore and die shortly after, you'll go back to the intro video.
You have to go back to the main screen then hit a key before you can exit the game.
"Escape" doesn't always close the window you're in, hitting it from the options leads you to the inventory screen, hitting it again back to the options, not to the game.
There are two control sets, one for the FPS part one for the driving, one would think HL² didn't need that and I don't think that game needs it either.
The controls are not localized unlike most games today. (And pretty much every AAA games.)
The mouse is too fast in the menus.
VSync doesn't work.
The game only auto-saves when you load a new area, which is a bit lame.

As for the gameplay, it's fine but nothing great, it feels very on-rail and detached, because of a number of mini-games that just teleport you to the mini-game area instead of making you go there.

The graphics are gorgeous (but inconsistent, you have very low resolution cans and things, they should have decided on given texel density to make it look better overall), but I have to inform you that YOU ARE A CYBORG because when you get out of the Ark you have lens flares... humans have eyes...

All in all I don't think it was worth the £10 I paid it, more like 5.
(Especially given you can have indie games way better than Rage for dirt cheap.)

With how positive JC is about static analysis, it seems like a good idea for all large software projects. I imagine that he's not the first guy to look into this though. There were some snide remarks on the forum here after his keynote, regarding his enlightenment, if I recall correctly. ;)

You remember right. John has the money to try all these different comercial solutions and he probably crossed the value for money/time he mentions in this latest blog however static analysis is not a new development. I used it myself with Visual Studio 2008 on C# which is already far more limiting than C++.

His also recent (public) recomendation of object composition instead of inheritance feels quite quaint when I first read about it on Bloch's Effective Java (2001).

As game code becomes more and more complex and starts resembling systems code your best bet is to use tried and true systems development software and best practices. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad JC is following these but anyone that has developed even a mid-sized systems software ought to be aware of these common practices already.

WRT stability, id games have always been some of the best for me. I can't speak for Rage but even comparing D3 with Q4 (which was based on the same engine and developed by Raven) I noticed quite a bit of instability with Q4.

I wish Bethesda follows through on this. TES games are much more complex but I always get at least one CTD a day on them.

WRT stability, id games have always been some of the best for me. I can't speak for Rage but even comparing D3 with Q4 (which was based on the same engine and developed by Raven) I noticed quite a bit of instability with Q4.

I wish Bethesda follows through on this. TES games are much more complex but I always get at least one CTD a day on them.

Me too the amount of crashing in Skyrim is somewhat ridiculous.

Of all the games i've played over the past decade I had very few crashes. If you use decent hardware and don't run ''weird'' software/driver combinations things a pretty solid.

Anyway, I just finished the game. Id once again made a tech demo instead of a game. The game looks and runs great (well once I got a nvidia card anyway...) and I suppose tech wise I prefer the overall improvement of detail over the blurry closeup textures.

The action of the main quest has good pace and is solid but the rest of the game isn't really up to par. The whole open world sucks. There is nothing to do apart from driving around a little but making some jump and shooting up some other cars. I'm not even going to talk about how stupid the car races are and the side quest are some of the lamest ever. Everytime you've been to a new area, are done shooting shit up and return back to base the very first job you'll get is to go back to where you just came from and shoot shit up again. I'm sorry but not even five minutes ago I went in there and fucking killed every living thing and blown the place to piece so how the fuck can they get things back up and running the minute I walk out of the front door?! What makes it even worse is that there is no reason to actually go back. You'll just waste money on ammo do to exactly the same thing you did already. After about three sidequest I got fed up with them. The other jobs you can get just lack any kind of imagination.

Also this game is too easy. I'm not a good gamer at all but I completed the game on the most difficult setting without much problems. The defibs give you a much bigger chance already and if you count in how easy it is to get a ton of health packs you can pretty much complete this game without dying even once if you'd wanted to.

But the biggest issue with the game is the ending. The last level isn't only dead easy, its just boring and lame. Don't expect a big final fight, instead you got to fight the lowest of enemies and suddenly the game is over. Things could have been saved by the ending movie, showing you how all your efforts trying to save humanity were actually worh it but no. A piece of wood could have come up with something more creative and entertaining than this turd of a ending.

It really makes you feel why you didn't just join the authority, got drunk, fuck some babes and throw some grenedes to the asshats that made you run all over the desert to show them you are up to the task. If I have to save humanity I atleast expect some cinematic sweetness for my effort.

Well, as you said it's not a game, but tech demo, and not that good one to be honest.
Let's hope Megatexture will truly shine in Doom 4, among many other things that a modern engine should support.

It's an average game, but I don't see how the tech demo moniker fits. There is a lot of gameplay here. I mostly enjoyed the game until the weak ass ending.

For Doom 4, considering id's history, I'd bet on more risk averse / questionable / boring gameplay choices but with yet more pretty graphics.

Also this game is too easy. I'm not a good gamer at all but I completed the game on the most difficult setting without much problems. The defibs give you a much bigger chance already and if you count in how easy it is to get a ton of health packs you can pretty much complete this game without dying even once if you'd wanted to.

I died mostly from driving my buggy into the abyss. I never used a health pack the entire game either. But I did die from getting shot up and have to use the defib. I found the driving around very fun, but the races were not as fun as the package delivery stuff. I wish there was more of that personally.

I'd like id to play avp1 marine campaign before making doom4

Hell yeah ! Do that ! I enjoyed Doom 3 a lot but that AVP 1 marine campaign freaking gave me heart attacks :devilish: ! I would literally dread turning a a corner in that game. The radio chatter on that game was used to th best effect ever. The damned radio chatter made me go weak and not wanting to move a muscle !
I loved that game. There were some friends of mine who couldn't take it :LOL: ! Hell, some couldn't even complete the Avp2 marine demo cos they were freaking scared !

http://store.steampowered.com/news/7265/
RAGE 1.2 Patch Release Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This RAGE patch adds some new features and addresses various compatibility and performance issues.

New Functionality
------------------------
Texture Detail: Enabling Texture Detail will improve up-close texture quality by performing upsampling with adaptive sharpening. This does not update or increase the resolution of the base textures included with the game but improves the perceived resolution and crispness of textures. This is an intensive operation and is only recommended if you have a quad-core CPU or higher. Please disable this feature if you encounter poor performance, stability issues or are given a notification that the game has run out of memory after loading a map. The Texture Detail option can be found in the Settings -> Video Menu.

Transcode Benchmark: A new benchmark has been added that determines how quickly texture data can be translated from the compressed format on your hard drive to a format that can be used by your video card. The higher your score, the faster your PC is able to make higher detail texture data available. This is not a traditional benchmark that runs through a scene of the game and returns a min/max/average framerate based on hardware and video settings. Other than the GPU Transcode option, the score will not be affected by changing any video settings. The Transcode Benchmark option can be found in the Settings -> Video Menu.

Error Messaging: If you attempt to apply video settings on a system that is not capable of handling them, an error may come up stating that your system ran out of memory. You will be allowed to continue, however, it is recommended that you either reduce your video settings until this message no longer occurs or you will be asked to restart the game with lower video settings. If you ignore this error and continue playing without altering your settings you will likely encounter texture corruption and/or system instability.

Automatic Video Settings Fallbacks: When an advanced video setting fails to apply, the setting may be set back to a safe default. Anti-aliasing will fall back to NONE if the allocation of a multi-sampled FBO fails. Texture Cache will fall back to SMALL when the allocation of a large texture cache fails. Texture Detail will fall back to OFF when large page table allocations fail. On failure, these settings will automatically fall back to safe values without the need for user input.

Patch Changes / Fixes
-----------------------------
- Fixed crash from potentially having stale transcode jobs in flight when switching between texture cache sizes.
- Fixed crash from using SIMD optimized memcpy with a PBO pointer that is not 16-byte aligned.
- Fixed GPU transcode option always turning off when restarting the game.
- Fixed progression in Dead City where player could not advance through sliding door en route to the defibrillator upgrade.
- Fixed CPU feature detection.
- Fixed issues with launching MP by using double quotes around path name.
- Fixed lack of texture detail on parts of the screen at high resolutions due to limited feedback analysis buffer.
- Fixed thread stack space usage and freed up 700 MB of virtual address space.
- Re-enabled UBOs.
- Adjustments to default VDM values for balance.

Ladies (?) and Gentlemen, restart your Steam.

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/02/02/rage-campaign-edition-now-on-mac/
We’re pleased to announce that Mac gamers can now get their hands on RAGE with today’s digital release of RAGE: Campaign Edition!

The Campaign Edition offers the full, unaltered RAGE single-player campaign, including the Wasteland sewer missions and the Anarchy Edition content (Double Barrel Shotgun, Rat Rod Buggy, Fists of RAGE, and Crimson Elite Armor) for the price of $39.99.

RAGE is available now live on the Mac App Store, Aspyr Media’s GameAgent.com, and other Mac digital retailers.

Ooookay, so it basically looks like a sharpen and a noise filter on top of close surfaces. Not sure if I like it. For some reason it did not detect my i5 system as a quad-core, but it ran smooth after the initial loading. That loading however took noticeably longer and the game staggered a bit - but it might have to do with me not launching it for a while.

Oh and my PC crashed after I quit from the game ;)

Hmm that does go a long ways towards making the textures appear to be higher resolution than they actually are. My eyes actually don't feel like they are constantly trying to focus on something but are unable to and thus keep trying to focus, etc.

I may have to replay this at some point with the new patch. Maybe in another 6 months or so when the game isn't as fresh in my mind. :)

Regards,
SB

Transcode Benchmark: A new benchmark has been added that determines how quickly texture data can be translated from the compressed format on your hard drive to a format that can be used by your video card
if thats the bottleneck you'd think id would offer a tool to pre-transcode and store the texture on your hdd
maybe one can be made by a clever programmer ?

ps: the comparison shots, out of each pair 1 is about 25% bigger (in bytes) than the other

if thats the bottleneck you'd think id would offer a tool to pre-transcode and store the texture on your hdd
maybe one can be made by a clever programmer ?

ps: the comparison shots, out of each pair 1 is about 25% bigger (in bytes) than the other

Considering there's already a warning about running out of graphics memory doing this. I wouldn't be surprised if doing that for the whole game would make the installation balloon out to a few hundred GBs. As you'd first have to uncompress the textures which are highly compressed. Then do the fancy filtering which makes them even larger. Then save the uncompressed and larger texture to the HDD.

Regards,
SB

Back