RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

Terabytes of texture data sitting on an OnLive server would be great... if your connection didn't compress the shit out of it. Maybe megatexture will be the answer when services like OnLive have the framework they need.

There's a difference between not being able to run at high settings and having to deal with the texture pop-in. Having a screen full of gourad shading for 500ms every time you happen to turn sharply isn't exactly the same as not having motion blur, enhanced god rays or pom. This engine on PC seems to only work well on higher end PC's.

There is a post somewhere (a link in the other thread) where it was mentioned that OpenCL had performance problems so they gave up on it. They started with CUDA C and then tried to use OpenCL too. NVIDIA doesn't care about or need OpenCL so blame AMD, I guess.http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=26824104#item_26824104

Looks more like they are saying that they only got a cuda version, because the _nvidia_ opencl compiler was worse than the cuda one when they tried (shouldn't come as a surprise..) - no word about on non-cuda hardware. So they must be happy by only supporting half of the (potential...) customer base.

Ofcourse it could also be that it simply turned out the gpu version wasn't all that much faster, and not worth doing in the first place (and therefore not worth spending the additional 10-20% on a opencl port).

Last edited by a moderator:
So they must be happy by only supporting half of the (potential...) customer base.
If steam survey is anything to go by then going with Cuda-only covers nearly 60% of all gamers with AMD and Intel making up 33 and 6% respectively.

There's a difference between not being able to run at high settings and having to deal with the texture pop-in. Having a screen full of gourad shading for 500ms every time you happen to turn sharply isn't exactly the same as not having motion blur, enhanced god rays or pom. This engine on PC seems to only work well on higher end PC's.

Lol thats gonna be fun with my 4870 than.

Btw +1 for your porcupine tree sig :)

Here is someones review
RAGE, at its core, is a shooter. It wasn't advertising something that it isn't, and if players earned that impression, it was likely at the fault of early hype of outside sources (from previews to interviews to early demos). It's a shooter just like Doom 3 with the same general drive. You'll have missions or tasks, but they're little more than excuses to go out and shoot and just generally have fun with the game. There are no RPG elements such as leveling and stat-points, and it's not as open of a world as it first looks, so do not expect and do not compare it to Fallout or Borderlands like many reviewers and gamers have.

There is a story to RAGE that's never fully developed in-game and to those who enjoy learning the background details and lore, there may be some disappointment. Nowhere in the game, outside of one tidbit at the start from the game's now deceased president and NPC conversations, are there e-mails, papers, data logs, journals, etc. that log any form of lore or story for the player to learn. You never learn about so-and-so's history or how this and that happened, you simply make assumptions as you go and that's that. While there's a fair share of sights to see, there's a lot of wondering about what those sights actually are and how they came to be. While in some regard, you can make a logical assumption that this is because you woke up after a hundred years since the world's destruction and there's a lot to fill in an not a whole lot of time, the general pacing of the game can be frustrating with how little you know and are told versus how much you want to know about the game.

The shooting elements are where the core of the game resides, offering some of the best gunplay I've seen yet. Enemies really do react to your bullets in fun and interesting ways, and seeing a mutant trip and slam its head into something as a result of shooting its legs adds to the experience. All the guns available to you, while not all interesting, have different uses and ammunition available to them with the same general goal: killing. There are a variety of enemies in the game, all falling under different bandit clans, mutants, and a mysterious Authority, and each have different styles of combat and weapons they use to fight. Repetition of enemy skins falling under a certain faction isn't entirely noticeable in the heat of battle, but you may find yourself looting the same corpse a few times, or very often.

Racing, a main feature of the game, is fun, hectic, explosive, and chaotic. Rough play is encouraged, and there's no such thing as bad manners in a race where destroying the competition is mandatory. There are no-weapon races, and different forms of racing outside of running laps where you collect rally points and just flat out destroy other vehicles to win. The Rally racing can be frustrating at times due to how the opposing AI will predict that a point will be taken and sneak off to another rally point's spawn location and gain a lead that's frustrating and hard to prevent if you're trying to actually race on the designed track. Apart from that, all forms of racing are still fun and offer a distraction from the main shooting elements.

On a personal level, however, I found the game to be almost disappointingly easy, for various reasons (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

1) Often times, you'll always be fighting your opponents at very close ranges or very long ranges behind cover, and many of the weapons available are too good at placing a one-shot kill, be it a shotgun, sniper rifle, crossbow, or even your starter pistol.
2) Armor upgrades nullify an astonishing amount of damage you'll receive to the point where you're almost encouraged not to buy them if you want an actual challenge. With them, there's very little fear of getting into melee with mutants, or even charging a group with a shotgun, and dying becomes rare to the point where you have to deliberately put yourself in a position where death is even possible.
3) Returning to 1, ammunition available can be downright ridiculous and unfair, taking down even some of the toughest enemies with relative ease, diminishing the fear and stress factors that were even put into their appearances. Crossbow and shotgun ammunition that explodes tends to one shot most enemies, pistol ammunition allows you to safely play through the game with the pistol alone without much challenge at all. If you purchased the game new with the Anarchy pack, offering a bonus armor, fist weapon, and double-shotgun, you'll find that these offers are akin to many over-powered pre-order items available for other games.
4) The Wingstick is, in and of itself, the strongest and cheapest weapon in the game. Throwing it will almost always end in a one-shot kill against non-heavily armored enemies. It can stick in their head or even fly back to you, with a chance of failure and breaking, allowing you free kills without any ammunition use.
: Later upgrading it can allow it to hit up to three total enemies in close to medium quarters, making an already strong weapon too good to the point where you'll refuse to use it solely because it makes the game too easy.
5) Crafting in the game is fun and interesting, rewarding scavenging early on, but you'll later come to a point where, coupled with what you find in your playthrough, you'll be able to earn enough money to afford more than enough parts and ammo to play through any mission without fear of running out.

Tips I can offer to avoid some of these issues are not buying any armor upgrades, playing on Nightmare, and avoiding any special ammunition types unless the situation absolutely calls for it. Otherwise, you'll find this to just be a fun arcade shooter with no challenge.

Regardless of those factors, the game is still very enjoyable and side mini-games, such as gambling, racing, five finger fillet, card games, and other jobs from the job board all add up to make just a plain old fun shooter with some flaws that bog it down. It doesn't have an epic narrative, and its pacing is too fast for what little information you gain in between tasks on the story and the meaning behind each action. It's fun, it's of decent length, and it's what you make of it. Just don't set your expectations high in the sky, as you may be disappointed in some areas. But at its core, it's an id Software shooter, and I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested in a beautiful and memorable shooter

I find that funny compared to Kyle's experience
God it just keeps getting worse. I had finished a mission, call is mission A, completed the next mission beyond that, mission B, and was on to mission C. Got killed, I had not saved....it kicked me all the way back to mission A. RAGEON

So you have the ability to respawn after you die immediately with defib, and you can save at any point you want. I started on normal and only really died when I drove off a cliff into the abyss, but I changed to hard and it was about right for me.

AMD is still releasing regularly new drivers for XP, I was using the same 11.9 version on both,
and on XP it's noticeable better, a lot less freezing, but with artifacts and huge pop in problems,
but AMD only released their new "Rage fix" driver for win7, but anyway, it's not useful for me, because while it solved the artifacts the huge freezes are still there and a lot worse than on XP with the "old" driver, it's completely unplayable
I'm using a HD5750...

yeah I was going by replies on the steam forums and my own.
20fps on 11.9 with a 4850 AI off Win7(everything displays correctly and no freezes)

But same problem with other ATI cards.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1237564-100-cpu-0-gpu-usage-constant-freezes/

other culprit seems to be dual cores

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...ant-freezes/page__view__findpost__p__18756584

If steam survey is anything to go by then going with Cuda-only covers nearly 60% of all gamers with AMD and Intel making up 33 and 6% respectively.

Are you counting ALL Nvidia's marketshare? Isn't the CUDA support only for the latest generation or 2 of Nvidia GPUs?

BTW this is what rock paper shotgun says about the PC version
(though Farid quoted the person known as Ben instead who has very strange ideas about what a good game makes)
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/06/rage-pc-review/
If you don’t ever play its Dead City level you won’t see what might just be the most impressive and atmospheric mainstream videogame sight this year.

It’d be easy to lament that this brilliant technology, once it’s working, is wasted on a mere shooter. True, I’d love to see id Tech 5 also put to use on something more wild and free, but I’m also very happy that it’s powering this shooter. Rage is often guilty of ordinariness and blandness in its main missinons, but it definitely pulls off being more than just a journey of unthinking destruction. The lengths it goes to for world and character design, and its refreshing lack of interference or handicapping in terms of its large and satisfying arsenal, results in something far and above most anything out or due out this year that’s predominantly based around moving a reticule over a man/mutant’s face. It has flow, it has character, it has life and it has stair-climbing friendly spider-bots. id have learned a lot, and without abandoning why we used to love them in the first place.

Anyway you really, really ought to play it at some point whether you wait until it gets cheaper or AMD gets their drivers fixed for OpenGl. If you choose not to play it b/c of all the whiners then you are doing yourself a diservice.

I'm actually considering buying it and playing on my wife's PC since she has the most recent upgrade. She has an i5 and a 6870 so once the AMD driver situation is rectified then it should perform ok. Texture issues aside, it is an amazing looking game from the screenshots. The detail and art really shows what their tech is capable of.

yeah I was going by replies on the steam forums and my own.
20fps on 11.9 with a 4850 AI off Win7(everything displays correctly and no freezes)

But same problem with other ATI cards.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1237564-100-cpu-0-gpu-usage-constant-freezes/

other culprit seems to be dual cores

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...ant-freezes/page__view__findpost__p__18756584

I'm also running a dual core CPU, it's awful, but on XP it's MUCH, MUCH better than on Windows 7 for me, but the CPU usage is always 100%.

apart from the freezes the FPS seems good on XP, but the pop in is terrible, even if I turn around quite smoothly (I'm not just moving the mouse quickly to cause that, I'm trying to play at a natural speed) I can still clearly see the textures being loaded some x00ms later...

how can I disable AI? I can only set to performance, high and so on,
edit: tested it with AI off, and while it seems to have a positive effect on the freezes, pop in stays the same and now there are some "boxes" on some textures

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused, why is id president saying what AMD will do? Shouldn't AMD be telling us what they will do?

When was the last time you ever saw any public responses from AMD for anything game related?

Played for an hour or so...cool game!! Graphics are really nice! I have a 480GTX: 1080p 4xAA+GPUI trancoding enabled...I also forced v-sync via NVIDIA control panel and did the 8k config file stuff...no texture pop in at all for me, game looks good (exceept textures up close..really low res), nice world...starting to dig in slowly...nice game overall, non of those monster problems reported fortunately :)

I used:
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart

I'm sure this is going to run the card out of RAM. At the gas station it was at 500 MB. That's just too full and when it starts swapping over PCIe it's going to stutter. A 1GB card is needed. I think the game's default settings target a 512MB card.

Actually I just got done with a long session on my GTX 560 1GB and at the crazy resolution I'm using (2720x1536) I think 1GB isn't enough either. I was at 900+ MB VRAM usage.

Yea, it does I tested it a little w/ gpu-z and the 8k textures and it was maxed immediately. It runs well w/ the 4k textures on the old 8800gt though. :smile:

When was the last time you ever saw any public responses from AMD for anything game related?

Well about 3 days ago the AMD employee told us they released the wrong driver for Rage. I think that is pretty recent. Then they told us they released a newer one.

i've seen Russian, English, native American thugs, a German guy with Bismarck's uniform and a Turkish/Mideast old woman smokes nargile.. cant remember right now but there should be a couple of more personalities :)

edit: i think one of the old womans - in the very begining of the game- is Scandinavian not sure though..

Are you counting ALL Nvidia's marketshare? Isn't the CUDA support only for the latest generation or 2 of Nvidia GPUs?
My 8800GT showed the transcode option. But they said if you don't have a very recent chip the game will probably only use the CPU because using the GPU would slow you down.

The only real difference between GPU and CPU transcode (on a fast GPU) is a reduction of the time for the engine to bring in the high rez textures. It is fairly tangible. But you can also reduce this by using the config tweaks NV listed which dramatically reduce the chance of the engine using low rez textures. So on 1GB+ DAMMIT cards, once they have drivers without loads of weird bugs, the tweaks will make transcode pointless anyway.

I wonder what was the reason for id to give up OpenCL transcode implementation. The one think I can suggest is an eventual bottleneck in the PCI-E throughput under OCL. I remember that AMD GPUs would perform particularly poor in this regard -- about twice slower than any comparable NV counterpart.

Back