IDF 2011: Haswell up and running

Well that will hurt AMD not they say needed that, Ivy Bridge is from today presentation set to destroy Bulldozer... while consuming half the power.

10 days of standby time isn't really that impressive, my tablet already provides that. I'll be more impressed when they show some performance numbers.

For a full fledged laptop part (a quad core part?), yea i'd be impressed too! You really cant compare the standy time of your current ARM based tablet to Haswell.

Intel's execution speaks for itself, this is a part which isnt scheduled to launch for about a year and a half, and they have working silicon already! :oops: Heck if they really wanted to, im sure they could launch Haswell instead of IB in March next year!

Intel's execution speaks for itself, this is a part which isnt scheduled to launch for about a year and a half, and they have working silicon already! :oops: Heck if they really wanted to, im sure they could launch Haswell instead of IB in March next year!

Intel's execution is obviously good, but x86 chips take about a year to validate/debug. So Haswell in March makes no sense.

Intel's execution is obviously good, but x86 chips take about a year to validate/debug. So Haswell in March makes no sense.

That isn't quite true anymore. The validation of Sandy Bridge went on for one and a half years from tape-out in June 2009 to release in January 2011. As the nodes get smaller the required validation effort grows quickly so I assume that the "new" average period will be one and a half years from now on.

I wonder if the window with the swirly particle effects was realtime rendered or a video.

Would have been cool to know if it was in fact realtime. :D

That isn't quite true anymore. The validation of Sandy Bridge went on for one and a half years from tape-out in June 2009 to release in January 2011. As the nodes get smaller the required validation effort grows quickly so I assume that the "new" average period will be one and a half years from now on.
Well, one thing to be remind of is Haswell will change much...
Also one an a half year means you can only see it in 2013 as it is october now ;) That's Intel's own plan

Back