Windows 8 Dev build

virtual box is what i'm planning to use - just because thats whats used in the tutorial
ps: did you install graphics drivers for your card

virtual box is what i'm planning to use - just because thats whats used in the tutorial
ps: did you install graphics drivers for your card

Last time I didn't do anything special, just let everything go automatically. You probably use the same tutorial :D Was a piece of cake. It was one of the earlier previews though, somewhere around May I think, first consumer preview perhaps.

An update on my little adventures
installed virtualbox and windows 8 no problem

I run windows 8 and get a message "virtualbox is optimised for 32bit your guest operating system is set to 24bit"
so right click on desktop properties, find out there is nowhere to set colour depth.
Also notice my monitor is set to 1024x768 and widescreen resolutions are not listed
monitor is listed as generic pnp. So i try to move the drivers from win7 to win8 and i cant, even if i set up shared clipboard and drag and drop.
so decide to redownload the drivers, so i do that only problem is drivers are in a rar file and windows cant open it also where have the drivers been downloaded to ? there is no way of finding out i.e has no menus or navigation buttons whatsoever and i cant find a way to enable any.
So I have to download winrar "the publisher cannot be verified" and i.e wont let me download it
so I try run and it works - cant download for security reasons, but can run please let me slap the assclown who came up with that bit of logic.
So I run winrar to unrar the monitor drivers but I cant because I dont know where theyve been downloaded to.
back to re get drivers this time select open instead of save - success
I update the drivers, in advanced settings monitor is listed correctly, but not on the main resolution page its listed as default device and no widescreen resolutions
next try to fix gfx card listed as microsoft basic adapter first i install virtualbox extensions that enable d3d. Gfx card now chages to virtualbox standard adapter.
download ati drivers they appear to install correctly but no sign of any ccc and gfx card type hasnt changed

Lol, a "mystery file save". They appear to one up Chrome in dealing automatically with the files for your "convenience". Lol at the rar files too, it's consistently been an "advanced" feature, no matter the OS (in linux this can be worse as you can have three states : unrar non installed, "unrar" installed or "unrar-nonfree" installed (one of them can't open recently made files)

ps: is there any such thing as a vm that will allow win8 to see my actual gfx card ?

This is quite an advanced feature, we may call it "virtualisation with use of an IOMMU" (beware, IOMMU can mean a few things, including considering the AGP GART as a limited form of one)
You need what Intel calls "Vt-d", and AMD calls "V-I-don't-know". For Intel you need to spend crazy $$$ on Xeon and the right motherboard, or very specific non Xeon models, for AMD you need 890FX or 970, 990 chipset.

On the software side, maybe you can do it by spending nice $$ on VMWare, what freeware ESXi does I have no idea, what is done by open source freeloaders and tinkerers is to run Xen 4.x (a hypervisor). Look up "Xen VGA passthrough"

Short answer : you'd be quicker done with it if you just run Windows 8 on physical hardware. Win 8 "Ready to go" could be awesome though I believe it's a feature you need to pay big $$ for.. but with a suitable version in the VM, you could create a USB bootable drive (easily from a VM) and then boot your PC on it.

I just tried Win 8 on a display laptop, it looks nice and all, managed to do stuff on it that I wanted to do, except a few things.

How do you Switch from Metro mode to Desktop mode while you are in the application without minimizing or closing the apps ? Say Internet Explorer, I launched it in Metro, it stays in Metro. Now I want to go into desktop mode, how do I do that ? Or even better how do I launched straight into Windows mode in desktop from Metro ?

I also can't find an obvious way to make shortcuts of Metro apps in desktop.

If you are on two monitors setup, can one screen be desktop and another Metro ?

I wanted to put Metro into a window in desktop, I tried but couldn't do it. It would be good if you can run multiple instance of Metro in different windows.

At the moment I'm finding Win 8 to be very clumsy because there is a divider between Metro and desktop. The laptop I was on was very slow as well which didn't help. But I am sure I just need time to adjust to it. I kinda like the Metro screen, I think it can look really nice if you can customize all your tiles.

Metro is seperate from the desktop. That was done on purpose to make it a bit of a walled garden. In theory that allows for more control over what goes in there. Which in theory means less chances of malware. Compare malware on rooted android devices to unrooted android devices to iOS, for example.

As such, Metro features a seperate version of IE which isn't the same as the desktop version of IE.

AFAIK, you can't take a Metro app and run it on the desktop and you can't take a desktop app and run it in Metro. Doing so would defeat the purpose of limiting the ability of malware to infect the Metro app. space.

Regards,
SB

As I think was explained below, with a multi-screen setup, you can only have one screen display WinRT UI (let's move away from Metro) and the other one Desktop, or both Desktop. You can't have two WinRT screens yet, though apparently you can have two apps open next to each other on one WinRT screen.

AFAIK, you can't take a Metro app and run it on the desktop and you can't take a desktop app and run it in Metro. Doing so would defeat the purpose of limiting the ability of malware to infect the Metro app. space.

Regards,
SB

Malware can't be the reason for the great divide can it ? Does this mean I need two separate Malware and Anti-Virus protection for Desktop and Metro ? Crap.

And here I thought I would be able to sync my tablet,phone and desktop. On the way home, browsing on tablet IE with multiple tabs open, once home, sync with home PC and continue browsing on desktop IE. Oh well that idea is out of the window.

If there is that divide, why on earth can't I just use desktop by itself without touching Metro ?

As I think was explained below, with a multi-screen setup, you can only have one screen display WinRT UI (let's move away from Metro) and the other one Desktop, or both Desktop. You can't have two WinRT screens yet, though apparently you can have two apps open next to each other on one WinRT screen.

Oh is that the final name WinRT UI, Metro was such a cooler name.

Well, I still think we should be able to Windows the WinRT UI, and open multiple instances of it. So you can run as many WinRT apps as you need on desktop. Having WinRT apps and then Win 8 apps on the same freaking PC is simply WTF ? I mean two different IE ?

Officially it is Windows 8-style UI apparently, but I don't like that name much, and on the Desktop it's confusing for making a distinction ...

I have multiple monitors and even though virtualbox allows you to specify the amount win8's emulated gfx card cant see them

Malware can't be the reason for the great divide can it ? Does this mean I need two separate Malware and Anti-Virus protection for Desktop and Metro ? Crap.

And here I thought I would be able to sync my tablet,phone and desktop. On the way home, browsing on tablet IE with multiple tabs open, once home, sync with home PC and continue browsing on desktop IE. Oh well that idea is out of the window.

If there is that divide, why on earth can't I just use desktop by itself without touching Metro ?

A sync between RT and win32 IE might still exist, software does not have to be identical to work on the same data.
If it's as bad as you fear, well, alternatively using both IE versions would be a problem, even on a single computer with the same user account. I don't know how things are going, there.

For added fun install Cygwin on Windows 8, with an X11 server. Now you're dealing with three subsytems. With Windows 8 32bit I guess you still have the DOS/Windows 3.1 virtual machine, so that's four.

I installed Win 8 Pro on an old HP laptop with an AMD Neo dual core CPU. It seems to run a bit better for general media consumption stuff.

Regarding the new UI, I think it works a lot better for touch screen devices than for traditional mouse/keyboard setups. The desktop mode is familiar enough, though. My biggest irritation so far is the Metro version of IE. I had a hard time figuring out how to find websites I added to my favorites list. This basic process is much more nebulous than it needs to be.

One of the small things I'm appreciating more than I expected is having a task bar in both screens.

Metro is seperate from the desktop. That was done on purpose to make it a bit of a walled garden. In theory that allows for more control over what goes in there. Which in theory means less chances of malware.
of course you can, if you can do this
then running metro on windows 8 will be a piece of piss
VMware_fusion_7_no_trans.png

Back