Xbox 360 security hack - work on slim too

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
seems there new hack for xbox 360 security even allowing Xbox 360 Slim to boot Xell.
so instead only allowing backups to run (current CFW) this hack will allow homebrews to run again on xbox.

it uses timing to glitch, and it said it is an unpatchable hack.

is this claim true?
long time ago on PS3 the claim is also Sony cant fix it but then sony released OFW that block the hack.

is it possible these hack be packed on "modchip" solution?

sorry bad english

It is not patchable,however it is fairly hard to implement.
I'm sure about there will be many guy who will offer hacking service for 50 bucks :)
It needs same soldering + special circuit,but only first time.

The PS3 solution rewrote how the uderlying security functioned. It is as impressive and commendable a solution as the original security fault was laughable and incompetant. It also was an eye-opener for hackers, who thought they had the system sussed.

A system that works on timings of the hardware can be very hard to protect, but it may not be impossible. It all depends where in the security pipeline the injections take place and whether the pipelines can be reconfigured to check for or bypass these vulnerabilities.

Details of the hack are here.

Their reason for thinking it's unpatchable:
Now, maybe you haven't realised yet, but CB_A contains no checks on revocation fuses, so it's an unpatchable hack !
Edit: Of course, this is perhaps the stupidest homebrew hack in the history of hacking, considering anyone can get XDK and use it legitimately!

As it seems it happen on the 1bl ,the console will load only the moded code from the NAND.-so no chance to block it without hardware modification.

So,pretty much not patchable.
However requiring skills,and the only benefit is the MW lobby :) considering that any can play copies with moded DVD drives.

if there a solderless "modchip" with board that making the modification of the rom and the other things by itself (just install in mainboard and its done)

but yeah currently we need to dump the nand first to pc .... the process still too much hassle and risk for widespread use.

seems will be not as widespread as the last PS3 hack

This hack would enable piracy from external hdd drive though; which is much more convenient than burning dual layer dvds every time you want to play a game.

Offtopic: A good friend of mine suggested we modded my 360 because I did not turn it on for two years; which meant that I had an old dashboard version which was JTAG exploitable.
It could be done in 30 minutes, but at one point I said: why?? to play Fable 3 for free? To play Forza?
I didn't touch the console for years for a reason. My PC was already capable of playing 360 games for free (imo all the good games except for maybe halo or gears).

That's is why I think 360 piracy is not widespread; there are not enough exclusive (non PC) titles to justify doing it. And most people have PC's from 2006-2007; which can play all the good games at higher resolution and framerate anyway, without ANY modification, so why bother?

If the hack could enable running apps, then you could have a kinect controlled web browser/media player. I'd be interested if it's effects were more than just enabling easier piracy.

That's is why I think 360 piracy is not widespread; there are not enough exclusive (non PC) titles to justify doing it. And most people have PC's from 2006-2007; which can play all the good games at higher resolution and framerate anyway, without ANY modification, so why bother?

If there was no point in pirating 360 games because the games are already on the PC and better there, then why are people buying 360s in such large numbers (because the game are already on the PC and better there)?

Most PCs from 2006 - 2007 (and 2008, 2009, 2010) have integrated graphics chips that are vastly inferior btw.

If the hack could enable running apps, then you could have a kinect controlled web browser/media player. I'd be interested if it's effects were more than just enabling easier piracy.
You can already develop for Kinect on PC, which alredy has browsers. I guess it'd need a human itnerface device driver to enable Kinect to function as a mouse/touchpad. Hacking 360 make zero sense to me, beyond piracy.

Doesn't Kinect have a microphone? I was thinking you could have a voice recognition driver. It'd be interesting from a technical pov. The Wii's browser interface is fairly well done. Sony don't seem that bothered in designing a decent Move interface.

Doesn't Kinect have a microphone?
A mic array, with sound isolation, using MS's existing audio tech. I don't know what it's doing that windows 7 voice recognition doesn't, but there's no reason Win 7 can't be updated with the same libs. And those libraries are, I presume, part of the Kinect SDK, so again, no need to hack a 360 to gain access to Kinect's voice control.

Googled the features:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/kinectsdk/about.aspx
  • Raw sensor streams
    Access to raw data streams from the depth sensor, color camera sensor, and four-element microphone array enables developers to build upon the low-level streams that are generated by the Kinect sensor.
  • Skeletal tracking
    The capability to track the skeleton image of one or two people moving within the Kinect field of view make it easy to create gesture-driven applications.
  • Advanced audio capabilities
    Audio processing capabilities include sophisticated acoustic noise suppression and echo cancellation, beam formation to identify the current sound source, and integration with the Windows speech recognition API.
So the Win version uses the Windows speech recognition. Is this different from the 360 Kinect lib?

to use kinect to do navigate web browser and so on no need to hack xbox

its already can be done on PC
- Mouse navigation can use KinEmote (especialy the Palm Click Drag version)
- Voice command also already working using the drivers MS provided

but i have not tried combining KinEmote with Voice command...
KinEmote use unofficial drivers, voice command use official driver.

sorry i didnt bookmark the Microsoft web page for the kinect drivers and voice command support.
but for mouse nav, kinemote here -> kinemote.net

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoE9CdP3sdU (OOT: W7+kinect+metroui)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's already a legitimate pathway for that through the XNA developer program - hence the multitude of indie titles available.

There's already a legitimate pathway for that through the XNA developer program - hence the multitude of indie titles available.
My... you are taking this awfully seriously, aren't you. Asking for that is like asking how to fix the world. People like danger, and others just like to experiment. It's human nature.

Be it the no JTAG method -Bill Gates is banning people from Xbox Live as of currently because of that-, chinapoints, illegal DVD copies or just homebrew -which I am not against-, there's always something people will find to trick the system.

I don't like to tempt fate, I am very coward to do that, but I tried my little tricks. :eek: I once legally formatted a pendrive using the X360, and then I rendered the info contained there useless -the usb stick wasn't mine, my brother lent it to me-. And I also wasn't able to make it work on the 360 to save my savegames. I tried to trick the console on the regional setting thingy to access content from other countries, too, with no luck. I must say that of this I am guilty of.

Anyway, regarding typical piracy, I am looking for a nerd to pirate one of my other two 360, as long as I could use it like a modded Xbox 1, out of curiosity, because I have never had one but they told me it opens up amazing possibilities. I kid, I kid, I wouldn't pirate mine, ever, because I don't feel the need to, but I am curious about homebrew if it ever comes out.

I wouldn't recommend people to pirate their console. You will have a beautiful paperweight at home.

My... you are taking this awfully seriously, aren't you. Asking for that is like asking how to fix the world. People like danger, and others just like to experiment. It's human nature.
:???: I'm responding solely to their given reasons for hacking XB360 -
GliGli released a new hack to boot the Xbox360 into XeLL and thus run homebrew software on your console
Hacking for the fun of it is fine, but if people are wanting to write their own code on 360, there are already all the tools they want, short of low level peeking and poking for the fun of it. Why not just keep their hacks to themselves, or a close group of friends, to ensure it doesn't get misused? If I want to play around with household chemicals to make some bangs for the fun of it, fine, but if I publish that info on the interwebz it's going to get misused and won't change my enjoyment of my own playing, so why bother?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the XNA program worked like this:

First of all, you have to pay every year to be able to develop. Then you can only deploy something you've written to your own console, unless you submit it to Microsoft who then decides if people are able to download it or not.
Doesn't sound like it's the way to go if you want to code demos/media players/whatever else doesn't fit into their business model.

Ah, you have a point there. I thought the XNA program was more open than that, but just checking MS's site, though they support XNA apps on Win 7 Mobile, they explicitly state up to ten games on the indie channel not mentioning any apps. So yeah, anyone wanting to create a media service or similar will have to circumvent MS's restrictions.

I stand corrected. ;)

Back