Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the context you are using "this point" in, but the final Wii dev kits didn't go out till as early as six months before launch so that would mean devs may not have Wii U final kits till January at the soonest if that's any indication.

Yes.

AlStrong said:
Well, hardware power is one thing, but I thought part of Nintendo's problem is getting the controller to work as intended. Wasn't there a rumour about them having issues there? *shrug*

which sounds like just another good reason to not be making other changes

The gracious demands for a decently clocked or sufficiently powered part from fans. Didn't you folks start saying it was no problem to put a 4890 or 5770 or 69xx class part in there? This is not something you achieve on LP without billions of transistors.

Yes, we are Legion. ;)

The talks are of a 1TFLOP GPU. Legion never claimed the GPU to be clocked at 900MHz like the 4890, or having 2.6B transistors like the HD69xx. ~600MHz at the size of a RV770 was the projection from the start, which isn't that ridiculous even for 40nm in that case.

As a comparison, the HD4850 does 1TFLOP with 800 ALUs / 10 clusters @ 625MHz, through 956M transistors (256bit memory controller included).

625MHz on 28LP in a ~1B transistor chip isn't achievable? Besides, the GPU would even be rather small, wouldn't you say?

Other topic: What are the changes that WiiU will have a 3 core CPU as rumored but also Broadway as a companion core for Wii backwards compability (+they could use it for the OS)

I think having a Broadway would be rather redundant. Using an OoOE 3-core PowerPC would probably grant full Wii BC.

Making a "Starlet" comeback wouldn't be that much far-fetched though, as it really made a difference preventing Wii's CPU overhead for the (then complex) I/O. Maybe a souped-up version using a Cortex A or Cortex R core this time, for the added complexity of dealing with the controller video/audio streams.

:p All jokes, of course. But anyways, LP is for like... low power parts that don't make sense for Nintendo's console here, maybe for 3DS or something, but not this.

Aren't some believing the GPU is going to be like 10W and have 100 ALUs? Sounds like the right one to use based on what they are saying. ;)

But referring back to one of your other posts, 28nm is not something I hope for. A Wii to Wii U jump in power is comparable to what we saw in PS360 from their predecessors. So I'm good whether it happens or not.

But yeah 2009 seems to be when all this started and at the same time info was kept in check about certain components. But I would believe considering when Cayman was released that the designing of VLIW4 would have started around the time Nintendo started planning their next GPU. And when looking at the fact that it would be considered the low-end of the next series of cards they should be getting it at a decent cost.

I think having a Broadway would be rather redundant. Using an OoOE 3-core PowerPC would probably grant full Wii BC.

Making a "Starlet" comeback wouldn't be that much far-fetched though, as it really made a difference preventing Wii's CPU overhead for the (then complex) I/O. Maybe a souped-up version using a Cortex A or Cortex R core this time, for the added complexity of dealing with the controller video/audio streams.

I'm definitely expecting an OoOe cpu and I get the feeling it will be similar to what MS wanted Xenon to be. And I think the new Starlet is going to be a multi-core ARM this time.

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/10/1/marvell-hints-wii-2-chip-win/

Could be. But with the needs of that controller I wouldn't be shocked if it does use a multi-core version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Final devkits are out, and rumor has it they differ quite a bit from earlier kits. Supposedly more powerful than anticipated, too.

Hmm, given lherre had talked about earlier revisions of Wii U kits basically being broken and difficult to get anything running on (supposedly one of the reason it was difficult to gauge it's performance), interesting to hear if true.

I tend to be a little bit skeptical of positive news about Wii U (aka final dev kits), but if this is true real performance/spec leaks cant be too far away you would think.

And that wouldn't be half bad, but I heavily doubt it. Whatever is in there wasn't even taped out until late 2011 - it's most certainly not a 2009 GPU.

4770 die shrink to reduce power even more and a few custom parts on top...

Nintendo like energy efficient chips, And a die shrink would reduce power, Heat and meen they can get more per waffer.

It's also in line with the comments that Wii U is 50% faster 360 and PS3.

Or a 4000 and a 5000 series hybrid.... Incorporating a 5000 series tessellation unit as lets the face it, The tessellation unit the 4000 series have is useless.

Nintendo like energy efficient chips, And a die shrink would reduce power, Heat and meen they can get more per waffer.

It's also in line with the comments that Wii U is 50% faster 360 and PS3.

RV740 level tech would need to be toned down quite a bit to be only 50% range. Which i fully expect to happen because Nintendo wants to keep the console so small

RV740 level tech would need to be toned down quite a bit to be only 50% range. Which i fully expect to happen because Nintendo wants to keep the console so small

Not really, An 8800GTX is roughly twice as fast as the console GPU's and a 4770 is pretty much level with said 8800GTX.

It's also in line with the comments that Wii U is 50% faster 360 and PS3..

The HD4770 is about 4 times as powerful as the 360 or PS3 GPU's. For instance Xenos is a SM3.0 GPU with the equivalent of 240 stream processors at 500Mhz. While the HD4770 is a SM4.1 GPU with 640 stream processors at 750Mhz.

Not that the WiiU will use that GPU, similar performance maybe, but the GPU itself will be more modern.

Not really, An 8800GTX is roughly twice as fast as the console GPU's and a 4770 is pretty much level with said 8800GTX.

RSX is basically a downclocked 7900GT with some rops disabled. A 8800GTX should be a lot more than twice as fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back