Trinity vs Ivy Bridge

updated my kid sister hd4000 build...well Intel metro-fied the GUI aaand it looks ugly..the icons aspect ratio seems squashed...feels good otherwise...gonna have a uber gaming experience with facebook games. :oops:

What I'm saying is that Kabini doesn't have the pieces in, and that Kaveri being touted as the first HSA part is not an accident, but rather a consequence of its architectural benefits versus Kabini. Nobody said anything about delaying a product that's already shipping and in some upcoming SKUs:???:

Of course, but it's the only way I can see of AMD making that big HSA splash you desired rather than a trickle (Kabini first, then Kaveri).

I would expect AMD to be keen on making as big a splash as possible with the first HSA sporting implementation, and Kaveri seems like a much better bet for that

As far as I can see Kabini, at least in its first swoop, is not significantly more integrated than Trinity. Moreover, it has a relatively gimpy memory interface. I would expect AMD to be keen on making as big a splash as possible with the first HSA sporting implementation, and Kaveri seems like a much better bet for that, since it (bar great mischief) will actually have a rather respectable memory interface and, hopefully, somewhat tighter integration. I guess we'll see.

It seems we see it differently.

The biggest "incoming thing in near furture with HSA integration" is unified address space between GPU and CPU side.

GCN supports unified address space. Kabini will have GCN-based GPU.

Intel 9.18.10.3071(15.31) drivers has been released.

AVDudnN.jpg

32bit
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3498&DwnldID=22610

64bit
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3498&DwnldID=22605

Update: Intel download page says 9.17 but the driver installer says 9.18 is the real version number.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20130403/int...new-opengl-extensions-and-opencl-1-2-support/

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/04/15/putting-intels-new-hd-4000-drivers-to-the-test/
http://semiaccurate.com/2013/04/29/a-look-at-intels-opencl-performance/

Looks promising. Their new OpenCL 1.2 driver seems to be pretty good. Despite the much higher theoretically computing power from AMD, Trinity isn't faster in a couple of OpenCL applications. In notebooks HD4000 should be superior in OpenCL than Trinity (assuming that Trinity mobile is much slower than A10-5800K).

Lol the tester don't like to see HD4000 being faster in some benchmarks. @forums

As a benchmark I like ratGPU, but it bothers me that Intel continues to outperform AMD in rendering benchmarks like this one.

First DX11/OpenCL1.2 part from company A outperforming the Nth DX11/OpenCL1.2 generation part with more than twice the flops from company B.. I guess it doesn't compute for some (pun intended).

Lol the tester don't like to see HD4000 being faster in some benchmarks. @forums

RatGPu ? who have been paid for call a benchmark with this name ? seriously .... the HD4000 is asbolutely unable to beat any AMD APU GPU, but you have find THE benchmark where it can beat the AMD APU .. well thats promise a lot for the next intel GPU... I think all the industry, reviewers should stop with all their Bullshit benchmarks and start to use only one benchmark: The RATGPU benchmark .

Last edited by a moderator:
Nonsense. OpenCL is superior on HD4000 and gaming performance too if we compare mobile derivate. Every Trinity below A10 is much slower.

You're getting confused between a superior GPU and a superior CPU. Any win Intel has is based on their superior CPU performance at low resolutions. Raise the graphics load high enough and HD 4000 will lose, every single time.

HD4000 beating Trinity/Richland APU in some OpenCL tests isn't all that surprising really. It is no big secret that their vliw4 architecture wasn't all that well suited for compute (that is, performs very well for some things, but pretty crappy for others), and amd moving to gcn at least was partially motivated by that (heck there are benchmarks floating around showing kabini beating Llano in a couple OpenCL tests, granted that one is even VLIW5 but that is usually performing similarly to VLIW4 in these tests).
HD4000 doesn't suffer from that, and that it can use cpu l3 cache too might help quite a bit in some benchmarks too.

You're getting confused between a superior GPU and a superior CPU. Any win Intel has is based on their superior CPU performance at low resolutions. Raise the graphics load high enough and HD 4000 will lose, every single time.

No we are talking about the GPU. Try Luxmark GPU, you see AMD losing there. Try any decent HD4000 and compare it with a mobile A4-A8 APU. It will lose in many games. He says HD4000 is unable to beat any AMD APU which is big nonsense. Same for ULV comparisons where AMD never had an advantage.

http://www.notebookcheck.com/fileadmin/Notebooks/Sonstiges/Games/Metro_Last_Light/tabelle.jpg

There you have Full HD. Top notch Trinity is unable to beat a decent HD4000. A4-A8 isn't faster than HD4000 in the notebook segment. Most people are not aware of this.

No we are talking about the GPU. Try Luxmark GPU, you see AMD losing there. Try any decent HD4000 and compare it with a mobile A4-A8 APU. It will lose in many games. He says HD4000 is unable to beat any AMD APU which is big nonsense. Same for ULV comparisons where AMD never had an advantage.

http://www.notebookcheck.com/fileadmin/Notebooks/Sonstiges/Games/Metro_Last_Light/tabelle.jpg

There you have Full HD. Top notch Trinity is unable to beat a decent HD4000. A4-A8 isn't faster than HD4000 in the notebook segment. Most people are not aware of this.

So explain to me why the HD 4000 in the i5 3360M loses heavily to the HD 4000 i7 3610QM. If it's just down the the graphics, why is the faster (1.2 GHz) i5 3350M losing so badly (by 60%) to the slower 1.1 GHz 3510QM? You've just proved my point, it is purely down to massive extra cpu performance.

But that i3 can do massively faster framerates when coupled to an external GPU.

Maybe the i3 laptop has ddr3 1333 memory so that the OEM can save $1 on each laptop sold. This cripples your 3D performance, coupled with less L3 if that plays a role for graphics.

Likewise what memory is that A10-4600M using, ddr3 1600 or 1866?
With both AMD and Intel selling APUs, you now have to pay attention to your main memory bandwith.

So explain to me why the HD 4000 in the i5 3360M loses heavily to the HD 4000 i7 3610QM.
I'm sure it's partially CPU, but it also has a nearly 50% higher TDP. The other important aspects of the system aren't even listed... i5's have less last level cache (GPU shares this) and sometimes less external memory bandwidth as well I believe.

In any case, comparing 100W A10's to tiny Ivy Bridge GPUs and drawing architecture conclusions is a bit silly. Ivy GPU really only becomes TDP limited around 17W or so, so that's where you can make interesting architectural comparisons. With Haswell, there are bigger SKUs so it can be compared a bit further up the scale.

The i5 3360M is a 35W chip while the i7 3610QM is 45W.

I'm sure Metro is an outlier because it's extremely well threaded and we're seeing a huge difference between 8 and 4 threads, but that also means the graphics on the 35W A10 4600M are being held back by the weak cpu.

Look at the power consumption of the HD 4000 when gaming btw -

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/kabini-a4-5000-review,3518-13.html

power-gaming-avg.png

This is clearly blowing well past 17W during intense graphics load and it's not being reported in most of the tech press. I really hope Anand has the balls to show us how efficient Haswell's iGPU is while he's telling us how fast it is.

I wonder what's going on, here. Ivy is rated at 17W, Kabini at 15W, so that's a 2W difference. Kabini also includes the southbridge, so let's say 4W.

But there's a 14W difference here. It could be the Intel laptop's fault (power hungry display/motherboard/HDD/something) or perhaps Kabini's turbo isn't very aggressive.

Edit: can't be the display, they turned it off and used an external one.

Back