Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

The expectations for the Sept 9 event really are getting extremely high. First it was just an iPhone event, then the iWatch was added, then the historic Mac launch location, the secret building, a report that Ives is thinking the iWatch puts Swiss watchmakers on notice, now even the iPad Air has been roped in for a refresh at the event. Watching Apple's stock ticker on Sept 9 isn't going to be for the faint of heart.

I heard some people will try to revive Jobs there, in the covered structure.

My debit card is now a 'contactless' one. I can make any purchase under 20 quid (with supported card terminals) simply by touching the card to a part of the terminal without having to enter any pin number. Well, waving it close to a certain part of the terminal, but you know what I mean! I've used the facility a few times in local supermarkets when making smaller payments but can't say it has really saved too much time. This sort of thing would be more useful in a crowded bar where paying for orders promptly would be helpful.

Rather insecure, I suppose (especially in the crowded bar situation noted above), but I expect that the relatively low payment limit means that it is deemed to be not too much of a risk. I don't know what would happen if somebody using a contactless card went on a spending spree of lots of smaller orders - would the bank's systems automatically flag this up and stop accepting these NFC payments, requiring PIN entry?

The iPhone could ask for verification via TouchID.

Yes I think that's one of the technical and business appeals.

I think Apple will probably support multiple payment mechanisms. Different countries will have different regulations.

For debit transaction (e.g., for teens), I think they can use the existing iTunes payment. You buy stored value card to top the iTunes account up, and then you can only spend that much via the rumored payment mechanism.

I know quite a few failed startups trying to do the same thing. They usually tripped at the merchant side. Why should they support yet another payment method ? And yes, the government may have other ideas too, or they want their own favorite financial institutions to do it (instead of you).

Its probably important to point out that a large number of retail locations in the past couple of years have actually switched to iPad based registers. In addition, there is the large contingent of the services industry that has switched to using iPhones/iPads with Square/Paypal apps. Think of the NFC as a way not to have to use analog swipe dongles.

Yeah, I don't think there's a single merchant at our (large) Sunday farmers market who doesn't accept Square for payments.

Can someone explain why Nvidia is going after Samsung for patent infringement, but leaves Apple alone ?

From what I know it's about Adrena (= former ATI mobile GPU IP) and Mali (= ARM GPU IP, formerly Falanx). So IMG is 100% safe from Nvidia knocking at their door ?

Still, it's a bit strange companies going after the end-manufacturer, but in Samsung's case it's a bit confusing as they are using Qualcomm (Adrena) SoCs and home-made SoCs with either Mali or IMG GPUs.

Can someone explain why Nvidia is going after Samsung for patent infringement, but leaves Apple alone ?

There are many possibilities. It's possible that Apple already have a deal with NVIDIA, or NVIDIA is still collecting evidences. It's really nothing special.

Still, it's a bit strange companies going after the end-manufacturer, but in Samsung's case it's a bit confusing as they are using Qualcomm (Adrena) SoCs and home-made SoCs with either Mali or IMG GPUs.

It's not strange, actually it's quite common. For example, back in the "MP3 decoding patent" years, they went after MP3 player manufactures, instead of decoder chip manufacturers. After all, if the decoder chip vendor didn't claim to pay for the license fee, then it's up to the player manufacture to pay for it. Generally it's the end product manufacturer's job to make sure all license fees are paid.

It's also critically important for the IP/component supplier to be offering non-infringing and, itself patent protected, designs, so that someone would be willing to license/source from them. And, in that regard, I think Imagination has done that adequately, and these broad claims by nVidia won't hold up if Imagination gets pulled into defending their IP.

I'm sure nVidia has a sizable number of implementation specific, legitimate patents that could be wielded effectively at the appropriate parties, just not of these general types.

nVidia has and will continue to have to be careful with their patent suit targets. Apple is an important partner for them in the personal computer space; that's an obvious enough reason for why they wouldn't be targeting them here.

It's not strange, actually it's quite common. For example, back in the "MP3 decoding patent" years, they went after MP3 player manufactures, instead of decoder chip manufacturers. After all, if the decoder chip vendor didn't claim to pay for the license fee, then it's up to the player manufacture to pay for it. Generally it's the end product manufacturer's job to make sure all license fees are paid.

Would it also be accurate to say that Samsung is most attractive from a damages standpoint due to their product volume? And if Mali is the infringing IP, the choices would be to go after them or ARM. The latter seems likely for obvious reasons.

I've legitimized this off-topic post since I'm replying to a moderator :p

The pivoting doublethink of Apple pundits on screen size is going to be fun to watch.

Last call for predictions.
I'm interested to hear what Ive's going to say in the launch video as well. In the iPhone 5 video he specifically pointed out that they increased screen size only the the vertical direction but not the width so that it can still be comfortably used with one hand. The video put a lot of emphasis on the thinness and lightness and the technology required to achieve it in order to de-emphasis that the footprint increased. They will no doubt play up the thinness and weight reduction again with the iPhone 6 but there's no hiding the dramatic increase in footprint with the rumoured sizes, particularly width and especially in the 5.5" model, and its impact on comfortable one-handed usage.

Personally, I'd like a bigger screen, but not a bigger phone, so I'm hoping the leaked parts have just been a complex disinformation and leak identification campaign and the smaller iPhone 6 model has a 4.5" screen with thin bezels (thinner even than the leaked 4.7" parts) allowing it to fit largely within the same footprint as the iPhone 5. Given the consistency of the 4.7" rumours, I'm expecting to be disappointed. And if Apple somehow does release a 4.5" iPhone instead of a 4.7" one, now that the commentators have standardized on the idea of a 4.7" iPhone, they are going to be skewered by the pundits for not having that extra 0.2".

Just say some people have large hands and/or bad eyesight.
It not that they are switching entirely to 5.5" (if true). They should be maintaining 4.7" and the current models I reckon.

In any case, if the leaks are correct, the larger phone can behave like iPad. In that sense, it is a 2-handed device. Not a one-handed cellphone.

It makes business sense because Apple has mobbed up the existing client base, and are moving to take others.

SOmeone did the math, presumably assuming current aspect ratios, and said the iPad Mini would still have twice as much square inches as the 5.5 inch model.

I think my iPad Mini Retina is about the minimal size I'd tolerate for surfing. I don't really try to browse too much on my iPhone 5S, though things like Flipboard and Zite apps are not too bad for reading.

Just say some people have large hands and/or bad eyesight.
It not that they are switching entirely to 5.5" (if true). They should be maintaining 4.7" and the current models I reckon.

In any case, if the leaks are correct, the larger phone can behave like iPad. In that sense, it is a 2-handed device. Not a one-handed cellphone.

It makes business sense because Apple has mobbed up the existing client base, and are moving to take others.
Oh I definitely agree that there is a lucrative market for larger screen smartphones (4.5-5") and phablets (5.5-6"') that Apple needs to address. The question that the rumours have never fully addressed is what happens to Apple's existing market of smaller flagship smartphones?

If I'm not mistaken, the iPhone is still the best selling single smartphone model and some of that is just because some consumers want iOS so they have no choice on size, but there are no doubt many customers that are directly looking for a smaller flagship phone. The rumours point to there only being 2 new iPhone 6 models in the 4.7" and 5.5" sizes. The 4.7" model is still noticeably larger than the iPhone 5, but is it close enough to directly transition users who prefer smaller smartphones? If not, is there actually a third secret 4" iPhone 6 that hasn't been leaked? Or is there going to be a 4" iPhone 5sc which may be a more aggressive transition hardware-wise than the iPhone 5c was (shrunk, up-clocked A7 with NFC for the new payments system) to serve as a semi-refresh at the $99 contract price?

My personal bias would be to do 2 models: an iPhone 6 that maximizes the screen size within the iPhone 5 form-factor (~4.5") to address requests for a larger screen while still satisfying demand for smaller flagship phones and a small phablet (5.3") to address needs for larger phones.

I think my iPad Mini Retina is about the minimal size I'd tolerate for surfing. I don't really try to browse too much on my iPhone 5S, though things like Flipboard and Zite apps are not too bad for reading.
If I do need to browse for extended periods on the iPhone 5s because there are no other options, I use it horizontally to get bigger fonts, but then the height becomes constricting requiring a lot of scrolling. In that sense, the old 3:2 aspect ratio iPhones were better. I do wonder if 16:10 would be the optimal aspect ratio to address both reading and widescreen videos, but I can't see Apple introducing another aspect ratio, at least while the 3:2 iPhone 4s is still supported.

The 4.7" model is still noticeably larger than the iPhone 5, but is it close enough to directly transition users who prefer smaller smartphones?
I recently purchased a Nokia Lumia 630; It has a 4.5" screen and I think it's great.
I'm not a fan of the 5"+ phones either, my brother has an S4 and it's much too big.

Apple have made the right call with 4.7".

If this is legit, clocks are kept low and the architectural CPU improvements are roughly 10% at the same clock. Which is quite good! And should keep CPU power draw low at the new process node.
Of course, it begs the question what Apple chose to spend their increased transistor budget on. GX6650 perhaps?

I hope someone picks up the gauntlet now that Anand has moved on, and provide a more in-depth analysis of the SoC.

Well, it's pretty much a given that the smaller iphones being announced today will have a 4.7" screen.
I think it's great that iphone users will get the chance of using larger, more comfortable screens that are better suited to the everyday usage of a modern smartphone. Apple is doing the right thing with the updated screens, and slightly "losing face" by following the trend of larger screens from other brands will be a small price to pay for the enhanced user experience of the new models.

But also... sorry, but I think I'm entitled to do this :LOL:
Here's some treasure from 2 years ago:

The reality is iPhone's screen is in range of a large majority of adult population's thumb.

For >4" phones, for quite a significant share of adult population, it's not the case.

If the "sheep" actively pretend that thumb-gap doesn't exist should Apple release a >4" phone, then you have a case. Else you don't.

FWIW, I think having a screen within thumb range is quite important.
I have a 3.5" touch-screen phone (NO it's not an Apple) and I wouldn't want to have a bigger screen. These new phones like the Galaxy are just ridiculously big. Makes me think of 15" or bigger notebooks... what's the point if you want to carry them around a lot? Just extra baggage... If I want a big screen, I'd get a tablet.
I think the big screens are a great way for Android phone makers to differentiate themselves from the iPhone. Good for then they found something other than price that reasonates with a non-technical public.

I always put my phone in the coin pockets of my jeans. It fits perfectly. No way a 4 inch screen one will fit in there. (Another example of the attention to detail of prescient design geniuses at Apple, of course. ;) )
You are basically alienating half your potential customers if you increase the physical size of the iPhone.
Women already find the iPhone 4 on the large side but I am all for a screen that goes out to the rim.

A bigger screen doesn't increase the user experience. It all boils down to the software. 960 x 640 pixels at 4" isn't going to revolutionize the device. You would still be interacting with the device using the exact same gestures and see the same animations, only at a lower PPI.

The blog entry in question says the following:
Touching the upper right corner of the screen on the Galaxy S II using one hand, with its 4.27-inch screen, while you’re walking down the street looking at Google Maps, is extremely difficult and frustrating. I pulled out my iPhone 4 to do a quick test, and it turns out that when you hold the iPhone in your left hand and articulate your thumb, you can reach almost exactly to the other side of the screen. This means it’s easy to touch any area of the screen while holding the phone in one hand, with your thumb. It is almost impossible to do this on the Galaxy S II.

So I'm fully expecting silent_guy, rpg.314 and Pressure to complain about the new screen sizes. I'm also wondering if they'll keep using an iphone 4S for the rest of their lives, or if they'll eventually upgrade to the new Samsung Galaxy Young line because it fits their "thumb range" standards.

Or... we could all just agree that this side of the argument from 2 years ago was purely based around apple bias. That apple didn't increase the screen size of their phones purely because they wanted to stick with the title of trend-setter instead of trend-follower for as long as they could - and not because of some engineering genius based around thumb-range that would otherwise "alienate half their potential customers".
It was a reality distortion field that IMO lasted more than it should (almost all my friends who own an iphone complain about the small screen size nowadays), and it's time for some people to admit just that.

Meh, pixels-smixels.

An 8mp camera ought to be plenty high enough resolution on a phone, especially considering the size limitations of the lens. How many people need to print out images at larger size than A4? Heck, 8mp is of high enough resolution for good quality A3 prints at a push! The rush towards 20+mp sensors on a camera phone seems unnecessary to me, unless you're looking for a Lumia 1020 type of phone.

Hopefully, they will have improved the sensor size or perhaps added image stabilisation?

Back