Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

Here's a video from a Russian site, purportedly showing the new iP6:

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6_gets_disassembled_before_its_official_debut-news-9516.php

Looks a bit too elaborate to be a hoax! I think the 4.7" screen is a good size and the device is only slightly larger than the iP5s. Ought to sell very well, and if Apple really are pushing out NFC payments that can only be a good thing (providing it isn't Apple-only!). I understand they've had NFC payments using phones in some Asian countries for years so it's about time the rest of us caught up and had this option!

Japan especially.

I don't feel like using NFC payment even if available. Need some incentive.

Mobile payments would be great if I didn't have to carry credit cards around.

Esp. if it functions like Chip and PIN authentication, which the US doesn't have broadly but is entrenched in the rest of the world.

US credit card holders can't use train kiosks, highway toll booths, gas station pumps, bicycle ride share systems, etc.

It would be nice to be able to also use phones instead of buying Oyster cards and the like.

I never have and never will understand the fascination with placing your financial information on the most lost or stolen device there is, the cell phone.

"Convenience", my friend... Never underestimate the power of convenience! :)

(Of course, when your phone gets stolen, lost or just plain smashed to smithereens, it's decidedly INconvenlent, but hey... You can't expect people to have forethought, can you? Heh.)

They have full device encryption these days.

Supposedly iOS 7 changes have led to fewer iPhone thefts this past year.

NFC payment is more likely to be used for smaller items, e.g. something like Oyster Card in London, so it's unlikely to have more money than your mobile phone's worth.

In Taiwan, the most popular NFC payment solution started the same way, and now you can pay with it in 7-11 or similar stores, not just riding bus or metro. There are also credit cards with NFC payment function which automatically add money to the NFC card.

A mobile NFC payment solution is most likely to be just like that. In theory, it can be made flexible, like what Google wanted to do (to simulate all current NFC cards), but in practice there are many legal and practical problems to overcome.

I know quite a few failed startups trying to do the same thing. They usually tripped at the merchant side. Why should they support yet another payment method ? And yes, the government may have other ideas too, or they want their own favorite financial institutions to do it (instead of you).

If Apple wants to do this, would love to hear their ideas.

They definitely have more leverage than some random startups though. :)

How often are wallets lost or stolen?

Less often than phones.

From what I see every day, people keep their wallets in their pocket except for when they're getting something out of it. For the most part it is kept secure. That isn't the case with phones. People have those out all the time and just left sitting on desks or on top of the table at restaurants. People always seem to be checking something or playing a game on the phone. They always seem to get left behind on the desk at meetings or on tables at restaurants.

Less often than phones.

From what I see every day, people keep their wallets in their pocket except for when they're getting something out of it. For the most part it is kept secure. That isn't the case with phones. People have those out all the time and just left sitting on desks or on top of the table at restaurants. People always seem to be checking something or playing a game on the phone. They always seem to get left behind on the desk at meetings or on tables at restaurants.

I have severe doubts that if there would be a statistic what people tend to forget, that phones would actually win with a big difference compared to anything else. Folks that tend to forget things when they leave from somewhere have good chances to even forget their kid in the car (which I wish would be just a bad joke but isn't...).

I have a lost and found list here for more than a few hundred folks on a daily basis and what you can find most left behind are sunglasses.

Besides once you start using your smartphone as a wallet, it's almost self-explanatory that you won't treat it as "carelessly" as before.

Yeah, smartphones should replace wallets and also keys. It's already fun to check into flights with a phone, it'd be even better if they could be used for payments, passports, car and apartment keys etc.

It'd also be easier to keep track of your only everyday item. Right now I have wallet, two keys, company keycard, and an extra package for the car's papers. It's soo easy to leave one of them at home, or at work when I leave... But if there's just one item, it should be less of a problem to remember to keep it with you.

My debit card is now a 'contactless' one. I can make any purchase under 20 quid (with supported card terminals) simply by touching the card to a part of the terminal without having to enter any pin number. Well, waving it close to a certain part of the terminal, but you know what I mean! I've used the facility a few times in local supermarkets when making smaller payments but can't say it has really saved too much time. This sort of thing would be more useful in a crowded bar where paying for orders promptly would be helpful.

Rather insecure, I suppose (especially in the crowded bar situation noted above), but I expect that the relatively low payment limit means that it is deemed to be not too much of a risk. I don't know what would happen if somebody using a contactless card went on a spending spree of lots of smaller orders - would the bank's systems automatically flag this up and stop accepting these NFC payments, requiring PIN entry?

Well some said NFC signals could be intercepted.

But the rumors here are that Apple had to make special cutouts in the iPhone 6 case for the NFC to work.

Well some said NFC signals could be intercepted.

But the rumors here are that Apple had to make special cutouts in the iPhone 6 case for the NFC to work.

After seeing the size of the cutout in the back and the material of the Apple logo, that appears to not be the case. They have a patent application where there depict the existing antenna structures at the extremes of the device being used for NFC, so I suppose it will be that method.

Another possibility would be them embedding the inductor behind the glass on the top of bottom of the device.

On the issue of forgetting the phone, Apple could probably market the iWatch as one way to address this by making the iWatch and iPhone each an iBeacon that sends an alarm to each other when they are out of range of each other for a certain amount of time. It'd need some type of location awareness though so it doesn't constantly alarm when you're at home and moving about while leaving the phone on the counter.

Maybe this thread should be retitled or a new one started.

Hard to imagine Apple brining something new or something that all the Android vendors and Google haven't conceived of.

They're not really setting the world on fire in terms of sales so I don't know about wearables ...

The expectations for the Sept 9 event really are getting extremely high. First it was just an iPhone event, then the iWatch was added, then the historic Mac launch location, the secret building, a report that Ives is thinking the iWatch puts Swiss watchmakers on notice, now even the iPad Air has been roped in for a refresh at the event. Watching Apple's stock ticker on Sept 9 isn't going to be for the faint of heart.

but I expect that the relatively low payment limit means that it is deemed to be not too much of a risk. I don't know what would happen if somebody using a contactless card went on a spending spree of lots of smaller orders - would the bank's systems automatically flag this up and stop accepting these NFC payments, requiring PIN entry?
I don't know but maybe you could lend me your card to see if I can buy this TV one pixel at a time... :devilish:

BTW you have to read the review comments. They are priceless (unlike the TV)

Back