Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Then you did see the 2 player Othello game on the screen controller ?

yes... do you consider the controller the primary display?

For a family game on iPad (e.g., Scrabble, Monopoly), it's played by passing the pad between people. For other family games, we can solve puzzles together (e.g, Wheel of Fortune). Or one can give puzzle to the other (e.g., Hangman).

With Wiimotes, the games will be similar to existing Wii titles, but enhanced by the screen controller.

so how does any of this help them with the hardcore audience? I've no doubt they've locked up the monopoly crowd.

yes... do you consider the controller the primary display?

It doesn't matter. Who cares what the TV is called, and what the screen controller is called ? The screen controller can be used for family games _and_ core games.

so how does any of this help them with the hardcore audience? I've no doubt they've locked up the monopoly crowd.

The screen controller ? RTS for example. Use your imagination. I am not your teacher or mother. :no:

Not only that but it also states it's a "Radeon™ HD GPU".

"HD" means it's definitely an unified shader GPU using either VLIW5 or VLIW4 (the former being a lot more probable). Using the "Radeon HD" naming (which they didn't use for GC, Wii nor X360) means it's probably very close to an "off-the-shelf" GPU.

We'll get there, little by little :)

I think it's very possible they went with an Evergreen [derived] or beyond part for the multi-screen capabilities, though I don't see an R700 being incapable of it either. It's only two screens.

It doesn't matter. Who cares what the TV is called, and what the screen controller is called ? The screen controller can be used for family games _and_ core games.

You certainly talked a nice circle around giving an actual answer.

The screen controller ? RTS for example. Use your imagination. I am not your teacher or mother. :no:

back to ignore you go.

Somebody else made the point. Sounds like the design was driven more to compete against Apple than MS or Sony.

Will this stem possible defections of some gamers from consoles and handhelds to the iPad and other tablets?

Apple announced 25 million iPads sold in the first 14 months and on target for an 8 million quarter? Those are DS numbers surely.

Can't tell for sure by looking at the hardware alone. We need to know more about Nintendo's plans and offerings (e.g., Audience ? Price ? Killer game like WiiSports ? Pokemon ? Any other value added services ?). The setup should be versatile enough for them to adopt different strategies.

I don't think you can expect much in the way of services from N. Even if they did, certainly nothing comparable to what Apple offers, not even what XBL offers -- btw, Apple claims more Gamecenter members than XBL members, though GC seems to be more of a high-scores posting thing than online play.

Nintendo hinted at possible partnerships. They know they can't go alone.

I don't think you can expect much in the way of services from N. Even if they did, certainly nothing comparable to what Apple offers, not even what XBL offers -- btw, Apple claims more Gamecenter members than XBL members, though GC seems to be more of a high-scores posting thing than online play.

Yeah... cellphone market is huge. I have a Gamecenter id too (coz I want to reserve my nick). As huge as Apple's wave is, they won't be able to take everything. There is always room for more players in a ginormous market. There is also the PC market. I think venturebeat.com has another article that talks about new kind of core games rising out of FaceBook's casual game piles. There may be enough customers to go around.

I will wait to see some actually innovative uses of the controller before I pass any comment. To me its still a gimmick ! Prove me wrong Nintendo , since you have got all the third party games now, the basic barrier to buying it has been removed. But Why should I buy a Wii U and not a PS4 or X720, which it seems obvious, will again be more powerful than WiiU (view view view....phew :LOL: !) ?

How does the screen add to play experiece? I can see the inventory on the TV fine, I don't need another screen fopr it.

It could be great if different control schemes could be displayed on the controller screen for like driving a mecha, a jet a boat, etc, but then it doesn't support multi touch !!!

I will wait to see some actually innovative uses of the controller before I pass any comment. To me its still a gimmick ! Prove me wrong Nintendo , since you have got all the third party games now, the basic barrier to buying it has been removed. But Why should I buy a Wii U and not a PS4 or X720, which it seems obvious, will again be more powerful than WiiU (view view view....phew :LOL: !) ?

How does the screen add to play experiece? I can see the inventory on the TV fine, I don't need another screen fopr it.

It could be great if different control schemes could be displayed on the controller screen for like driving a mecha, a jet a boat, etc, but then it doesn't support multi touch !!!

It will add nothing for you as you don't want it to.

I can think of a ton of uses for that screen and I'm looking forward to the ones that have already been showcased.

Now I can go to the toilet in an online game without getting chain spawn killed. Also, how can you get a more precise shot than actually touching where you want to shoot? Biggest of all, the controller screen is HD quality so even if you have an SD TV you can see the game in HD. I just wish it had a built in mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHUwDShrD4

Extended version of the bird pond video, this was not shown at the press conference. It's just an off-screen video but it still looks good.

Hell yeah, It gets even more awesome. I can safefly say that graphically, this is enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
:) More than one people can play on a 6" screen controller (even though it is a single touch pad)

Six-by-four reversi is lame :???:

It's shocking to me how Nintendo failed to demo a real commercial game taking advantage of the new controller. The sales pitch is basically "Hey, you can do a bunch of random stuff with this new controller! What's more, there are random stuff that we haven't even thought of yet that you can do!"

Six-by-four reversi is lame :???:

It's shocking to me how Nintendo failed to demo a real commercial game taking advantage of the new controller. The sales pitch is basically "Hey, you can do a bunch of random stuff with this new controller! What's more, there are random stuff that we haven't even thought of yet that you can do!"

You mean other than Zelda? Really, do any of you bother to look up any thing before you make a statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a50sYUESGTY

http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/video/HW_demo

Be observant.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHUwDShrD4

Extended version of the bird pond video, this was not shown at the press conference. It's just an off-screen video but it still looks good.
Looks great! Of course that is just a very limitely interactive demo of a machine that's still in development, but that does give hope the machine is visibly more powerful than current gen. Somewhere it was already confirmed (by Nintendo) that the game footage was actually xb360 and PS3 games shown, and the games that have actually been shown for WiiU have been very simple with simple graphics. It'll be interesting to see what the games actually look.
That seals the deal for me, most likely will get it. I hope I won't have to regret it as I have with Wii and 3DS :cry:

Its impossible for them to know the Wii U's specs being it that the system is incomplete. Nintendo themselves don't even have the full specifications.

This is all of the available information.
http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/about

We don't know what Nintendo knows, they just might want to hide most of the details 'till the last moment to prevent competition from reacting to it in time?

We know it shares same CPU family with Watson, and at least in FLOPS, even though theoretical, even single core in such CPU (=4 threads) at 3GHz (IIRC) is supposed to smash 3.2GHz Cell in PS3.

We know it's multicore variant of such CPU, so we can safely also assume it's not exactly smallest chip on the field - the Power7 at 8 cores (the only one manufactured, 4/6 cores are just partly disabled) takes up 576mm^2, so maybe they've got IBM to make customized native 4-core variant, cutting that to almost half, bringing it somewhat larger but not too much compared to 32nm Sandy Bridge size, meaning in near future possible 32nm shrink would make it quite a bit smaller.

Considering the CPU is already known not to be from the smallest/weakest end, we can safely assume the GPU isn't the slowest of Radeon HD's either.

Back