Windows tablets

It does support portrait. Also Windows 8 supported it. It's just that the "default" mode in Windows 8 was (and still is) horizontal, meaning app developers started from that and added the portrait mode if they had time. Now, with Win 8.1, there has been more discussion about supporting portrait mode. Still all the released tablets have the 16:9 aspect ratios, making them unsuitable for portrait use.

It has been rumored though that Microsoft will release a 4:3 tablet in the future:

The rumored Surface mini tablet is expected to include a 7.5-inch display with a 4:3 ratio that will make it easier to hold in portrait.

Jeez, why didn't they just use the same 16:10 resolution as every single android maker out there?
Brainfart much at Microsoft?

16:10 is slightly better than 16:9 for portrait, but still god awful (IMO) compared to 4:3.

Regards,
SB

And 4:3 is terrible for landscape use (i.e. videos and games).
16:10 is by far the best balance between both types of usage, IMO.

Nonetheless, 16:9 isn't good for tablets. I don't know how they couldn't reach that decision themselves.

Sure if all you do is watch movies, then 16:10 or 16:9 will be optimal. I rarely watch movies on my tablets, so 4:3 would be a better fit. I prefer the same for my secondary monitors for my desktop. Unfortunately, good quality reasonably priced 4:3 LCD monitors are hard to find nowadays. :p

Regards,
SB

I look at this differently. I much prefer 16:10 as I see it as two screens of 8:5. It's like with Outlook, where the folders overview is the first column, email list of those folders the second, and the selected email fully displayed in the third (which then shows the Outlook Social Connector below, which I greatly enjoy to make dealing with email a bit more human, showing the LinkedIn pictures of contacts if available). I prefer the landscape view of an iPad for that as well.

But as soon as you devolve your tablet to primarily E-Reader functionality (which many do, after all, and which is perfectly fine), then the size and dimension of a nicely readable book page is clearly more optimal.

No they're pushing the snap thing.

They think people want to run apps side by side a lot of the time.

Yes, clearly, as they changed 2 apps side by side in Windows 8 to allowing 5 of those side by side in Windows 8.1, and the limitation of a fixed snap-size is gone as well. Will be interesting to see how that turns out. The one App I made is fortunately resolution independent, as I like the window mode for Apps in Windows 8 that I unlocked with a third party app.

Probably, not that many people want to run apps side by side on a tablet though - it defeats the point of portability. It is more suitable for hybrids, but these aren't so common yet, and the market for them may well be smaller.

I look at this differently. I much prefer 16:10 as I see it as two screens of 8:5. It's like with Outlook, where the folders overview is the first column, email list of those folders the second, and the selected email fully displayed in the third (which then shows the Outlook Social Connector below, which I greatly enjoy to make dealing with email a bit more human, showing the LinkedIn pictures of contacts if available). I prefer the landscape view of an iPad for that as well.

Sure on the desktop my main monitor is 16:10 (30") which offers a lot of flexibility. That is flanked by 2x 4:3 (20") monitors in portrait view. I can view 4x documents that way if needed. And is better than 2x 30" monitors as the main monitor remains centered. 3x 30" monitors would be overkill for my needs.

On tablet though, it's unlikely for me to have or want one larger than say 11-13 inches. Which means 4:3 portrait is optimal for note taking as well as document viewing and editing. For books, I prefer a proper e-reader with a e-ink display that doesn't have a backlight.

Regards,
SB

I much prefer 16:10 as I see it as two screens of 8:5.
I suppose you mean two screens of 4:5.

I'd like to see a 3:2/2:3 aspect ratio. I do most of my web browsing on a 10:16 screen, and I'd definitely take more width over more height.

Probably, not that many people want to run apps side by side on a tablet though - it defeats the point of portability.
I don't see how multitasking goes against portability.

It's been a while since anything has been posted in this one. But I thought people might find it interesting that Toshiba has just announced the Encore 2. The 8 inch version of which has an MSRP of only 199 USD. The is getting pretty darn cheap for a full blown x86 Windows device.

I still not convinced about an 8" device, but it's getting to the point where it's cheap enough I may just try one out.

It's too bad devices like that didn't come out at that price point 1.5-2 years ago instead of the cheapest x86 Windows tablets costing 6-700+ USD at the time.

Regards,
SB

It's been a while since anything has been posted in this one. But I thought people might find it interesting that Toshiba has just announced the Encore 2. The 8 inch version of which has an MSRP of only 199 USD. The is getting pretty darn cheap for a full blown x86 Windows device.

I still not convinced about an 8" device, but it's getting to the point where it's cheap enough I may just try one out.

It's too bad devices like that didn't come out at that price point 1.5-2 years ago instead of the cheapest x86 Windows tablets costing 6-700+ USD at the time.

Regards,
SB

Just recently I exchanged my Galaxy Tab 2 7'' for Venue 11 Pro. I must say that W8 is much better with touch than mouse and it just works. Also Windows enviroment is more productive for me than Android. Only slight letdown is Atom Gpu core not fast enough for my needs (1080p). Cpu performance (Z3770) is great for a tablet and roughly compares to Athlon 64 X2 3100MHz in many benchmarks!
Go for it!

what do you need in 1080p that not work iin atom?

if its video decoding, you can try using DXVA acceleration in MPC using LAV. or try VLC

$99 (ninety-nine dollars) tablet with Windows 8.1 with Bing:

http://www.gizmochina.com/2014/07/27/kingsing-w8-the-worlds-cheapest-windows-tablet/

vhnQKAk.jpg

8", 1280*800 IPS screen, 4-core 1.8GHz BayTrail SoC, 16GB storage + MicroSD. Only 1 GB RAM, though.

I see this as the ideal Steam Home Streaming client. Heck, even with an Android machine this hardware would be a steal.

Here's the difference between the free Windows 8.1 "with Bing" and regular Windows:

In fact, it's just Windows 8.1 "Core" (32-bit or 64-bit) with Update 1.

(There are multiple releases of this version of Windows aimed at different markets like China and the "N" versions Microsoft still must sell in Europe for some reason.)

With one difference: PC makers will not be able to change the default search engine using Microsoft or 3rd party deployment tools. So when a user who buys such a PC starts Internet Explorer, Bing will automatically be configured as the default Search Engine. And no other Internet Explorer defaults are changed. And, yes, the user can change the default search provider. Only the PC maker cannot.

Not much of a bother :)

Give me a $120 version with 2/3GB RAM and I might get one just for the lulz.

Wow, that thing is a steal for that price. Though I do agree that 1 GB RAM and 16 GB of flash storage may be a little low.

I expect to see more and more budget Windows tablets once the Holiday season starts to ramp up. Especially as more no-name (at least in the West) Chinese brands start to gain distribution over in the US in some form or another.

Regards,
SB

I expect to see more and more budget Windows tablets once the Holiday season starts to ramp up. Especially as more no-name (at least in the West) Chinese brands start to gain distribution over in the US in some form or another.

Regards,
SB

This and the fact that Windows is now license free for devices with <9" screens...

I got the dell venue pro for $100 (32 gig) its a great tablet and the atom soc is great for windows. I bought two , one for my niece and one for my nephew but it came with office. Check around they go on sale often for under $200 bucks

how do you guys manage the SSD from filling up? my 128GB ssd got 50% eaten by windows after many updates :(

before 8.1 update 1, i can have photoshop etc on SSD + Titanfall. But now i need to move all of my app from SSD do mSD card to be able to install titanfall. Luckily windows have Symlink support so the majority of app easily movable to mSD card without problem, except Office 2010 that now only work if i run "winword.exe" directly :/

Back