[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

First of all the game looks pretty good but nothing groundbreaking IMO at least (I'm saying it again) from what I've seen from both gameplay videos of the PS3 version - off screen or not you can notice the constant tearing in places and the drop in the frame-rate when the player went outdoors, otherwise except the lighting which was really cool in places texture quality was not something amazing and as I said the lack of motion blur/object MB is pretty apparent making the game look somewhat sterile and empty.

You're saying that you see criticism without solid technical proof about why this looks just good and not something breathtaking to people like me, sure the features list of Frostbite 2.0 includes deferred rendering, DoF e.t.c. making it sound pretty impressive but it won't change what I saw on both of these videos nor it will make me say wow when I'm not impressed.

Anyway I guess we can judge the game's visuals better when we'll see the beta or some direct feed HD footage.

Forgive me but I have to repeat you again my point: what is it the best engine now on console which seem more impressive than that? What meter do you use to judge FB2 how not so impressive? The tearing, fps or lack of motion blur? Only these? Excuse my sarcasm, but it's a bizarre way to be not impressed, we have to consider most of these parts will be more refined than that build but even less, I can't not appreciate the final results ; I continue to not understand the criticism that surrounding the engine on the console. I think is a lot more efficient, realistic & concrete than the cryengine 3 proclaims before the release...

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive me but I have to repeat you again my point: what is it the best engine now on console which seem more impressive than that? What meter do you use to judge FB2 how not so impressive? The tearing, fps or lack of motion blur? Only these? Excuse my sarcasm, but it's a bizarre way to be not impressed, we have to consider most of these parts will be more refined than that build but even less, I can't not appreciate the final results ; I continue to not understand the criticism that surrounding the engine on the console. I think is a lot more efficient, realistic & concrete than the cryengine 3 proclaims before the release...

So you're saying that the BF3 videos that we've seen is the best looking game on the consoles right now? ok that may be your opinion and I respect it but I definitely can not agree from what I've seen..and yeah you may be sarcastic but the low frame-rate and the lack of object motion blur for me are things that are holding the game visually back.

You seem to be more excited about the engine because it runs good on the PS3 and the impressive Frostbite 2.0's features list than about the actual look of the game on gameplay, either way there's no point in going on with this as I said earlier we should wait for better quality footage or the beta to see if Dice delivered what they promised...and I surely hope they do on both systems.

Console versions are also to get the commo-rose (taken from a livechat today at Gamescom).

Depends on your PC, but a good rig should certainly play better than the PS3. Unless of course you want to play particular peeps on PSN.

Depends on your PC, but a good rig should certainly play better than the PS3. Unless of course you want to play particular peeps on PSN.

Well, my PC runs BF:BC2 maxed out at 1920X1080, so I guess with a lowered resolution, I might be fine with BF3.

But the issue is that, somehow, I always have had a better online experience on my PS3 than my PC. The games are always full there......and there's the friend list !

You seem to be more excited about the engine because it runs good on the PS3 and the impressive Frostbite 2.0's features list than about the actual look of the game on gameplay, either way there's no point in going on with this as I said earlier we should wait for better quality footage or the beta to see if Dice delivered what they promised...and I surely hope they do on both systems.

What the...:???: Sorry but you continues to avoid my question... when we have talking about the gameplay? I just criticize your first observation & of any others who said something of similar.. of course I'm talking only of the ps3 version, they have programmed that in a way completely different known from now, isn't it something to be excited? However you said it's disappointing, now run good... We are passed so faster on 'I haven't said is it that bad' to 'will see' when I have asked to you to be more specific about your complaints. I want just to know what do you talking about, to substain a conversation with that point. I see interesting surface reflections, good details, texture. interactivity, use of MLAA with 704p of framebuffer, even the fire effects seem appreciablle knowing the limits of the ps3. But probably you are interesting to not dialogue about this; ok, no problem for me ;)

Well, my PC runs BF:BC2 maxed out at 1920X1080, so I guess with a lowered resolution, I might be fine with BF3.

But the issue is that, somehow, I always have had a better online experience on my PS3 than my PC. The games are always full there......and there's the friend list !

People who are playing the alpha say that performance is comparable with BF:BC2. Probably the DX11 and ultra stuff will require more horsepower, but even at moderately high settings it's should be appreciably better than the console versions. Besides that you've got the higher res, better for seeing distant enemies, and of course the glorious mouse and keyboard for controls.

Judging by BF2 you will have no problem finding full servers. BF2 was released in 2005 and I still find plenty of servers to choose from today.

As said before though, if you have a bunch of friends who will be playing on PS3, and none on the PC, then that's a no-brainer. Fun is exponential when you are with your mates.

Destruction like this would be awesome!!!!

Unfortunately I think it would be nearly impossible to balance out the gameplay with so many tanks, jets and helicopters. Infantry wouldn't last long.

Gotta love how RF3 destruction worked in that game. I agree it maybe too much for large scale battles...some day I hope!

People who are playing the alpha say that performance is comparable with BF:BC2. Probably the DX11 and ultra stuff will require more horsepower, but even at moderately high settings it's should be appreciably better than the console versions. Besides that you've got the higher res, better for seeing distant enemies, and of course the glorious mouse and keyboard for controls.

Judging by BF2 you will have no problem finding full servers. BF2 was released in 2005 and I still find plenty of servers to choose from today.

As said before though, if you have a bunch of friends who will be playing on PS3, and none on the PC, then that's a no-brainer. Fun is exponential when you are with your mates.

Proper Gamepad support is also a factor. I just can't fly those choppers with mouse n keyboard, and BF:BC2 on PC wasn't configuring my 360 pad properly and there were no "default" controls for the gamepad either.

What the...:???: Sorry but you continues to avoid my question... when we have talking about the gameplay? I just criticize your first observation & of any others who said something of similar.. of course I'm talking only of the ps3 version, they have programmed that in a way completely different known from now, isn't it something to be excited? However you said it's disappointing, now run good... We are passed so faster on 'I haven't said is it that bad' to 'will see' when I have asked to you to be more specific about your complaints. I want just to know what do you talking about, to substain a conversation with that point. I see interesting surface reflections, good details, texture. interactivity, use of MLAA with 704p of framebuffer, even the fire effects seem appreciablle knowing the limits of the ps3. But probably you are interesting to not dialogue about this; ok, no problem for me ;)

The funny thing is that you were able to see all those things about the textures and IQ by the latest off screen video while it was unfair as you said a few posts back to judge the constant tearing and the low frame-rate of the game by the same source...:???:

OK listen because you don't seem to understand what I'm saying (or acting like you aren't) we should wait for HD footage or the beta to be able to judge and see what the engine can do on the consoles...I'm done with this debate for now.

Proper Gamepad support is also a factor. I just can't fly those choppers with mouse n keyboard, and BF:BC2 on PC wasn't configuring my 360 pad properly and there were no "default" controls for the gamepad either.

I'm almost certain I read a comment by Repi on this forum stating that there would be proper gamepad support for PC BF3. That was in the last month or so, so should hold true.

edit... here it is...

Yes we do have gamepad support on PC, no autoaim. So only very brave people would dare to try and play it in MP :)

Oh and thanks guys for all the feedback and confirmations about settings!

The funny thing is that you were able to see all those things about the textures and IQ by the latest off screen video while it was unfair as you said a few posts back to judge the constant tearing and the low frame-rate of the game by the same source...:???:

OK listen because you don't seem to understand what I'm saying (or acting like you aren't) we should wait for HD footage or the beta to be able to judge and see what the engine can do on the consoles...I'm done with this debate for now.

:rolleyes: Tearing & fps are an another matter than texture & IQ in a video capture, I found your comparison enough weird... by the way, there aren't only the GC capture to judge FS2. I have just polimized about your previous opinion & ask more specific reasons about that, but you said to not be interested to discuss about the quality of engine from now because there aren't enough properly data to give a faith impression, I think to have understood that. If you not want to debate just don't to try again, no? ;) ; I'm not tries to blame, don't let me wrong, I'm continue to discuss to you if you interpelate me. Peace & love ;)

It's crazy looking at that, then remembering this is the same game that you can fly jets, choppers etc over a huge sunny battlefield.

SP campaign, coop, best in class MP... (I would have to assume, it's not out yet!)
Value for money or what?

Okay I probably need to calm down.

Back