Internet Explorer 9 release candidate available for download

Just out of curiousity are you overclocking your GPU or video card memory? I think you are one of the ones with a 6950 flashed to a 6970?
That's a no, and a no respectively. :)

Actually I'm UNDERclocking the GPUs right now to 500MHz core to limit heat and noise...

And Dave, as for wether it's silly or not, I've never had IE crash my video driver before so hard it brought the whole system down with it. I don't think it's a coincidence it happens mere days after a GPU-accelerated version is released.

Just installed the latest Firefox (4.0) and it runs the canvas test at 94fps, vs 60fps in IE9 and 31fps in Chrome.
with chrome try about:flags & GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D
with me fps goes from 30 to 60fps chrome11
ff4 I get 30fps

though if they done this with webgl, fps will be in the hundreds (& look nicer to boot)

That depends if he has a 6950 flashed to a 6970, he's got 2 GB of vram. How many games or the OS alone is going to use all of that? On the other hand, depending on how many windows/tabs he has opened (along with type of content) there's a chance he'll hit every single byte of memory on that card. I know I do when using my 5870. When I get to that point I actually have to wait briefly as it unload video memory in order to play video or games. And then a bit of pause as it reloads web page data from main memory into video memory when I make those tabs/windows active.

Regards,
SB
Umm...sure you meant to reply to my post?

Just had IE cause another bluescreen in the display driver. Nice. :???: Again, nothing important lost, but this is not good, obviously.

Just had IE cause another bluescreen in the display driver. Nice. :???: Again, nothing important lost, but this is not good, obviously.

I wonder, I've been using IE9 since beta or RC as my main browser and haven't had a single BSOD. Is it out of the question that there's something else wrong with your machine?

Possibly. WoW straight up hung not long after that 2nd bluescreen... May be my motherboard (which has always had a peculiar quirk, as described in another thread) is starting to give out on me. Fortunately ASUS offers 3 years of warranty, so I'll just have to get around to carrying my system down to my retailer to have them give it a run-through, and then send it off for replacement.

Weird though that no other windows program manages to provoke the system into crashing, just IE. As pointed out by...I can't remember, windows itself uses GPU acceleration too for the aero window manager. Still, no crashes there.

If WoW has problems first thing I'd do is test new memories (or at least underclocking current ones), it's really sensitive with memories (to the point where memtest86 for example said my memories are fine but WoW didn't agree at all)

Umm...sure you meant to reply to my post?

Yes. You implied that video cards can't cause a BSOD because you've never seen it happen. I was pointing out a useage scenario where it quite possibly could.

Most current BSOD's in Windows is due to bad memory or a corrupted memory space in Windows. As Windows now also manages and uses VRAM, it's quite possible that suspect VRAM could cause a BSOD through use of your GPU.

Windows Aero doesn't require or utilize a lot of VRAM on its own, hence it may not hit the bad cell. IE9 can potentially utilize all the VRAM on your video card, exposing suspect memory timings or cells or whatever.

Weird though that no other windows program manages to provoke the system into crashing, just IE. As pointed out by...I can't remember, windows itself uses GPU acceleration too for the aero window manager. Still, no crashes there.

No other Windows program uses the video card as extensively as IE9 either. It can potentially use more video memory than any game currently on the market.

Regards,
SB

if you have a BSOD write down the info onscreen & google it.
yes its entirely possible the graphics driver to BSOD windows, in fact I'ld say is prolly the #1 cause

Kernel mode drivers with faults are a big reason why Windows has had a bad reputation for stability. If you have never seen a Windows machine BSOD, you are the luckiest person in the world and you must run no software.

Do you know what's new (or on the list of stuff planned to get added)? The page you link to doesn't say, and I'd rather not have to download/install experimental software to find out... ;)

...Especially since MS has a tendency to integrate IE deep into the OS, and stuff. Ugh, if something was to go wrong I'm having nightmare visions of it wiping out half the system disk. :p

Ty for link! From reading it, it seems not much "meat and bones" features are known yet.

Also, big slow MS just can't resist taking a stab at Chrome for being too quick, and "iterating" too much on their browser... Ell-oh-ell. I bet Redmond would prefer if they were still browser top dog, and IE7 was still "okay enough" for most everybody.

This IE10 version is of course mostly aimed at web developers.

This version number marketing hype isn't really sitting well with me. Google are diluting what a version number really means IMHO.

Aye, it's still marketing, but MS does have a point with Chrome's versioning numbers. Minor updates and interations getting major version numbers.

But then that's what Apple has been doing for a while with OSX and noone really complains about that. So I guess Google decided that's a good way to push each version as a radically upgraded browser. Although at least Apple still does the 10.x, they just push each 10.x as a revolutionary radical upgrade over the previous 10.x. :p

Regards,
SB

Back