MSI's RMA process

John Reynolds

Ecce homo
Veteran
Anyone have any experience with it? My new GTX 570 is bad, so had to return it to MSI rather than Newegg since I'd cut the UPC/serial# sticker off the box flap for the mail in rebate. Did the usual circle-jerk routine with their tech support to prove it was a faulty board before they'd give me the TS # to use in the RMA request. Took about 4 hours of emailing back 'n forth Monday night. Shipped the 570 back this morning with insurance on it for $19, and the only spare GPU I have lying around is a 4870 x2 that won't do 3D. So curioius how long this RMA process might end up taking, how soon the track marks will start appearing along my forearms.

I don't think I got anything fancy lying around, but I'm sure I could scrape up a working 4870 or something if you need a loaner J. :)

What went wrong with it?
Just curious since I had issues with two different GTX 580s.

I don't think I got anything fancy lying around, but I'm sure I could scrape up a working 4870 or something if you need a loaner J.

Thanks for the offer Diggie, I might be tempted to take you up on it once the withdrawal signs start kicking in here soon. Thought of swinging by a local Best Buy, pick up something around $200-250, and then eating the restocking fee a few weeks later just to hold me over.

What went wrong with it?
Just curious since I had issues with two different GTX 580s.

Different issues in diff games, but mainly long lines across the screen. LOTRO was usually ok with it, but then Mass Effect 2 would be a mess of flashing geometry and other issues. Tried diff driver sets after using driver cleaners to wipe old files and reg entries, but same problems regardless of the driver version. Was fine the first week or so, but then started having these issues with it.

I've sent a few notebooks to MSI and it does usually take a few weeks to get things back. But those were full-on repair jobs and not just a replacement. This includes shipping time too.

A former customer of mine here on the base brought in a 8800 GTS for me to borrow. My 4870 x2 went completely tits up this morning, so that was good timing. Going home for lunch since I live 6-7 minutes away from work to slap the 8800 into my system and rock it like it's 2007 again. Thanks to Diggie and Mize for the offers of help though, much appreciated.

It's a 640mb board, didn't check its specs. Got AA/AF, single display mode, high quality output, color settings, etc. tweaked, but had to go back to work. LOTRO was crying, gave me like 20-22fps under DX9 and its high preset, but that's at 25x16. . .I imagine dropping it down to 19x12 will help quite a bit.

I highly doubt the two would work together. But thanks for the offer Diggie.

Gotta admit, playing an hour of Mass Effect 2 last night at 19x12 centered on my 30" was different.

I just got a notebook back from MSI today. In the box they had a ASUS static bag as part of the exceptionally varied packaging material. ;)

Back