NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

To be fair to Dave, most of the EliteBooks haven't been updated for Haswell yet (if ever?), and that really is the first EliteBook HP lists.

Though AFAIK, AMD's dGPU market share in business laptops isn't much better than it is in consumer laptops.

I wonder why that is. After all, there's not much difference between a typical business laptop and a typical consumer one.

In my experience, if CSAA and EQAA aren't supported by the game, and the game isn't from pre-D3D9 days doing simplistic rendering, it is best to force plain MSAA or SSAA. The coverage samples can be incorrect and cause visual problems. Some games do support CSAA modes though. Though I find 4x MSAA to be adequate in general. Diminishing returns.

These days edge AA isn't enough though. It misses most aliasing in modern games.

Yep, the trend lately is either go for some post-process method or full-scene AA as a high-quality "brute force" option. In both cases coverage sampling is useless anyway, as much as MSAA is.

I had tried it in the simplistic games and found it subtle, not sure if it's turned off or on. I could just use 8x MSAA if the framerate kept up and have pretty much the max multisamling IQ anyway.
If there's still "8xSS", that's a nice mode for old games at a cost of some blur.

3x3 supersampling in old D3D games is insane in all ways, slow and gives some movie-like IQ, I wonder what's the max supported res with that?

If there's still "8xSS", that's a nice mode for old games at a cost of some blur.

3x3 supersampling in old D3D games is insane in all ways, slow and gives some movie-like IQ, I wonder what's the max supported res with that?

That old ordered grid supersampling is really similar to what you get with the downsampling trick people do today. But ordered grid is actually rather ineffective. The best I've seen is AMD's SSAA on 5000 and later cards, some form of rotated grid I think. NV's secret sparse grid modes can be nice too but often cause blur.

Oh yes ordered is terribly wasteful, that 9x mode looks slightly better than 4x rotated grid I think.

8xSS is actually 2x multisampling + 4x supersampling, it's like a better and more expensive 8xS, or a cheaper 16xS, I believe all these modes are ordered grid.

Why don't they show comparisons to AMD's cards?
AMD cards usually offer better performance/ price ratio (and overall characteristics) but for some unknown reasons OEMs flood the market with exactly the opposite.

nVidia doesn't mention AMD in their marketing for the same reason Intel doesn't mention AMD. It's the age old adage in advertising that you should never mention your competitors when you're winning because consumers in general don't like seeing what they perceive as "the little guy" getting beat up in addition to getting beat.

It's like kicking someone when they're down. Your bros may think its great but it doesn't fly well with the ladies typically results in random spectators showing you what that's like to be that guy. In short, it's bad form.

Why 1200p...

I'd like to see the results of a 1080p test.

A lot of the high end displays are 1200p or higher like my Dell Ultrasharp u2410 and 2407wfp IPS screens. I understand that a lot of gaming displays are 1080p 120hz, but a lot of us who have high end hardware typically use their displays for more than gaming. And gaming 120hz displays from the ones i've seen are definitely lacking in the color accuracy department.

A lot of the high end displays are 1200p or higher like my Dell Ultrasharp u2410 and 2407wfp IPS screens. I understand that a lot of gaming displays are 1080p 120hz, but a lot of us who have high end hardware typically use their displays for more than gaming. And gaming 120hz displays from the ones i've seen are definitely lacking in the color accuracy department.
My issue was that testing at 1200p puts the 750Ti at a disadvantage due to it's smaller bus/lower bandwidth, 1080p is also significantly more likely the resolution of choice for people looking at that card means the extra pixels are just dead-weight.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/UX32LN/

First notebook with Maxwell GeForce 840M(GM108)?

NkW41p6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/UX32LN/ First notebook with Maxwell GeForce 840M(GM108)?
Is it reasonable to say that a low-end discrete laptop GPU is typically 2x faster than the iGPU? What kind of applications will this allow to run reasonably that wouldn't on the iGPU? Who's the target audience for this kind of laptop? Mostly light gaming with slightly higher frame rates? Or is this just a way for the laptop maker to have a differentiator for those customers who don't want to buy bare bones out of habit (I'm sure there are many of those, often not an unreasonable thing to do, future proofing etc.)

(This ASUS site is terrible on an iPhone BTW. Why bother to make a specific mobile site and then not test it against a relatively popular platform? And the 'full site' link doesn't work at all.)

The CPU options are very low watt in this laptop (15W) so the performance of the iGPU should be very low as well.
Quite possibly nvidia has higher perf per watt on the GPU than Intel, as well (Haswell, duh!)

It seems to me nvidia makes small GPU to practice their scaling down and low power operation. GK208 was kind of a testbed for Tegra K1. GM108 possibly has a really low TDP, especially as configured in this kind of laptops. Ah, a wikipedia checks tells the lowest GF119 and GF117 were 12 and 15W respectively, in the GT6xxM generation.

This is about doubling or more the framerate when enabling the dedicated GPU.
I'm sure plenty popular games can run (Valve/Blizzard stuff) as well are more demanding stuff if you're adventurous.

Oh well is it too much to ask for wired ethernet or at least page up/down keys. I'm tired of them vendors copying the macintosh keyboard.

/edit: I hope a genius comes up with a 2nd Fn key on the right side of the keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back