Sony's Next Generation Portable unveiling - PSP2 in disguise

So the order independent transparency is possible with the hardware?
I thought that Powervr dropped the feature from their chips after the Chip in Dreamcast.
Order independent translucency was also in the Neon250 PC chip (i.e. same generation as DC) and in one MBX-based system. It has not, to my knowledge, been incorporated into any recent systems.

I would guess that plenty of developers like the feature.
I certainly could have done with it for a couple of technical demo programs I did. I really don't know how real developers cope.:???:

Is there a comparison around of the different 32-bit encoded HDR formats? I recall the Bungie one, but it wasn't really an interesting image or a real-world example (just... "such and such format is sucky at this range").

....though I wonder if it really matters for the portable screen.

I'm guessing that AMOLED screen is going to benefit from it more than any other screen I have in my house ... ?

Yeah, it's NGP is uses the OGL ES-centric SGX543, not the DX9-level SGX544, so that kind of thing suffers. I sure as hell hope they're not suggesting using 9-bit integer channels for HDR though, that's not really an option.
I read that dodgy translation as 9 bits mantissa per RGB component, 5 bits exponent for the whole value. :???:

The first E3 preview of NGP has just broke its NDA, in addition to few new screenshots article mentioned this tidbit about hardware:
The new console uses a quad core ARM Cortex A9 processor, SGX543MP4+ graphic accelerator (200MHz, 4 GPixel/s fill rate). All these specifications are yet preliminary though the company first announced the console early this year the final specs will be announced in a few weeks at E3 conference as well as the sales start date and the price of NGP. Meanwhile let us get to gaming.
http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2011/sony-ngp-en.shtml

Are those specs known from before? Anyhow, few screens:

scr01.jpg

scr02.jpg

scr07.jpg

scr08.jpg

scr18.jpg

scr17.jpg

hawt

The combination of screen size (much higher DPI than TV) and 4xMSAA will probably be close or even match PS3 graphic. And the NGP uncharted is just a launch game. It will probably just get better as they get more familiar with the 3 cpu cores and gpu. :p

The combination of screen size (much higher DPI than TV) and 4xMSAA will probably be close or even match PS3 graphic. And the NGP uncharted is just a launch game. It will probably just get better as they get more familiar with the 3 cpu cores and gpu. :p

You mean something like this:

:D

Well there was they showed off the internal memory cards that go up to 32 gigs. That's about it though.

any links to this info? well I guess being able to add a 32GB card beats adding 8-16GB & selling the console for a higher price
Quite magical as the sum of them is 640.

640! ;)

do you know something? or are you just playing with our emotions?

& if so is that 640MB of main memory + the 128 making it 768MB of total memory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back