4k resolution coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was like "i wanna 4K!" than i realized...unless LCD tech improves...4K is only as good for hi res gaming to us consumers...but you need gobs of GPU power to play 4K/60fps, 2 more node shrinks to go...So i would rather they improve monitor tech...to hell with IPS glow and edge lit LED....i want 10bit to be common, i want back-lit 5000:1 contrast VA panels to make a return.....and yes 120hz to be a new standard....so something like 2560/1440/1600 at 32"/120Hz monitor with much better panel tech in the next 2-3 years will outweighs the benefits of 4K 32" shitty TN/IPS 1000:1/60hz thin "beautiful" panels.

Intel and MS are to blame for the stagnation of PC tech...writing their own feared demise with their own hands...time to stamp your mark...your standards for the rest to follow...and not co-mingle PC with Tabs/Handhelds..

One thing with ~4K displays, at least on laptops is that a scaled non-native resolution should look at ton better. In that use case, a 45 watt GPU would have trouble running some games at 1080p anyway. So in a sense the GPU power situation can be no worse, or even better than before ; hopefully you have enough to run desktop compositing, Google Earth and the like at 4K with what limited GPU resources and bandwith you have.

TN-film Panel Based Ultra HD Monitors Could Sell for Cheap by Mid-2014

An NPD DisplaySearch boldly claiming that the industry will ship as many as 2 million Ultra HD (3840 x 2160-pixel) monitors by the end of 2014, is beginning to sound a little more plausible, with display makers pushing for "affordable" Ultra HD monitors in the 28-inch size segment, by mid-2014.
By these, we're not referring to cheap, borderline gray market monitors from lesser known Korean manufacturers; but display majors from the same country, such as Samsung and LG.
According to Hardware.info, which recently published a review of the Samsung LU28D590D, a 28-inch monitor based on a cheap TN-film panel by Chimei (CMO), that offers Ultra HD resolution; prices of the display could be as low as 600€ or £500, by mid-2014.
So if you're planning to ditch the full HD (1920 x 1080) or WUXGA (1920 x 1200) monitor you've been holding on to for the past 5 or so years, wait just a little longer.

Samsung LU28D590D review: 4K becomes affordable

HiDPI test: High resolution Windows, a complete nightmare

How usable are Windows and the most commonly used software on state-of-the-art ‘HiDPI’-screens?

Dogs bark, the caravan moves :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anything known about this graphics card? It's not on AMD's website.

As for the monitor, I'm afraid it's probably a crappy TN panel.

Is anything known about this graphics card? It's not on AMD's website.

As for the monitor, I'm afraid it's probably a crappy TN panel.
It's Oland. So you're looking at a lower clocked R7 250 with DDR3 (~60% of the performance, maybe?).

Well, that's pretty boring. Thanks for clearing things up.

Boring is not the right word. It is simply ridiculously insufficient and with these graphics, the 4K experience would be kind of extremely low-end integrated graphics solution like.

It is not serious. WTH?

These graphics choice is simply ruining otherwise the good lappie.

I find it nice that there's a high end ish laptop with a lower end GPU (but still a 128bit one)

Why should we want a GK104 and such in there? The laptop will never go up to 150 watts or similar.
The laptop seems okay for Google Earth etc. at full res, Counterstrike Source at quarter res, Crysis at ninth res.

By googling around, the R7 M265X has 2 GB gddr5, and there's R5 M230 as Oland with DDR3. There must be some misconception here.

It murders every high end cell phone/tablet SoC and it's better than the Wii U, and yet you pretend it's a minesweeper and solitaire GPU. I know, 3.8K.

They should make big laptops again, i.e. like those that had dual floppy drives, then you will be satisfied by the GPU.

I can say it's Oland with GDDR5 :
http://all-rss.com/item-1372539-iro...ellite-p50t-received-4k-display/#.UzCQGo_DjgE

Not the most badass thing but it fits the description of a minimal high performance GPU, like e.g. a desktop GTX 650 or a real 7750/7730.

They should make big laptops again, i.e. like those that had dual floppy drives, then you will be satisfied by the GPU.

Yes, all 17 inchers all the way down.
Are we men or whining sissies? My head can't hold the thought that there could be real men who would complain about the size. Especially when it would help them to keep their fitness at least at higher level. :LOL:

I can say it's Oland with GDDR5 :
http://all-rss.com/item-1372539-iro...ellite-p50t-received-4k-display/#.UzCQGo_DjgE

Not the most badass thing but it fits the description of a minimal high performance GPU, like e.g. a desktop GTX 650 or a real 7750/7730.

Good for being with GDDR5.
Perhaps the reason why they wrote R9, while the official web site doesn't have it.

The world's first 86.36 cm (34 inch) Ultra Wide qHD monitor

http://www.lg.com/de/ips/UM95?cmpid..._Monitors_01&gclid=CLrMtYXzv70CFYWWtAodBX0ATA

2utlxlx.jpg

Now this is finally starting to be interesting to me!
All previous 21:9 screens were 1080p which was too little for me, but 1440p is a nice upgrade!

I still prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio. It's a shame that only the iPad still has 4:3 screens. I would pick a 3200x2400 monitor over any 4K widescreen monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back