Nokia's Present & Future

For most (myself included), the camera quality isn't one of the prime factors I look at when I'm looking for a new phone.
Hmm, iPhone 4S is the best-selling smart phone and while they did improve the camera, all the advertising, at least in the US, is about Siri, which I guess is more unique than the camera.

Hum.. the thing with having a phone with one or two high specs is that it's usually "hard" to make a regression when upgrading.

I have a N8 and I can't fathom switching to a smartphone with a weaker camera that has a narrower angle, lower resolution and lower per-pixel quality.. and that leaves me with no upgrade path (be it Android, iOS or WP7) whatsoever.
Too bad that every other smartphone vendor is just blindlessly trying to make thinner devices than iphones at the cost of low quality camera sensors..

I got used to taking very good photos at any moment with the device that's always in my pocket. High quality "quick-snapping" has become a part of my life that I don't want to lose when I supposedly upgrade.

That 808 seems excellent (though it's a bit too bulky) but it's Symbian and the platform is pretty much dead in terms of 3rd party software development and support.

That WP8 Pureview seems really nice though. It seems to have been designed for ergonomy which I value a lot more than thickness:
Q4NeT.jpg

I'm not going to try to pick up girls by showing them how thin is my smartphone, nor am I going to use my smartphone as a knife during meals. As long as it fits confortably in my pocket and I can hold it well with one hand, I'm okay with it.

Then again.. it's Windows Phone 8, which none of us know what that actually is..

Some more tidbits to join the rumour party:
https://twitter.com/#!/MS_nerd/status/189250366473388032
https://twitter.com/#!/MS_nerd/status/189251206017851392
https://twitter.com/#!/MS_nerd/status/189252235660759043

-This PureView model actually has the N8's image sensor (though the image processor might still be present for faster photo snapping and post-processing). I guess the 808's image sensor may still be too big.
- There's also a 4" WVGA model with physical keyboard in the works, also using a MSM8960 (though it may not be the "Pro" version with Adreno 320 like the Proview model).

Some more tidbits to join the rumour party:
https://twitter.com/#!/MS_nerd/status/189250366473388032
https://twitter.com/#!/MS_nerd/status/189251206017851392
https://twitter.com/#!/MS_nerd/status/189252235660759043

-This PureView model actually has the N8's image sensor (though the image processor might still be present for faster photo snapping and post-processing). I guess the 808's image sensor may still be too big.
- There's also a 4" WVGA model with physical keyboard in the works, also using a MSM8960 (though it may not be the "Pro" version with Adreno 320 like the Proview model).

All Bollocks..This MS_Nerd attention seeker has already admitted that everything he says comes straight from his imagination and that he has zero sources. It's according to him simply a "small social experiment" to see how fast his shit can be spread by people and blogers who are more interested but hits than true facts...
http://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/comments/r4q5l/iama_someone_who_leaks_information_about/c43n7uk
http://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/comments/r4q5l/iama_someone_who_leaks_information_about/

Originally Posted by Reddit
I do not work for Microsoft, any of it partners or contractors.
I receive no payment for what I write under the pseudonym 'MS nerd'.
I am not interested in generating an income through this activity. I did consider it when I received job offers from a few different media outlets, but chose not to take them up in the end.
I do this stuff because: 1. I like following this company & its competitors as well as other CE & health technology news. 2. I'm running a 'social experiment' of sorts.
I like this question.
I would prefer more in this vein of questioning than product-roadmap stuff here on reddit. Those are better suited to my Tumblr Ask page.

[...]

I said before that this is also a social experiment. It has been very illuminating to observe how a story spreads among the media & how substandard the process of verifying information is. Most of all, I have been amazed by how easily the media & the enthusiast public ignore any attempt at ascertaining the authenticity of sources.

etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
while this guy made up alot of stuff , Nokia has already mentioned plans of bringing the 32mpixel camera to windows 8 phones and we already know through leaks that larger resolutions and multiple cores are coming for windows 8 phones.

while this guy made up alot of stuff , Nokia has already mentioned plans of bringing the 32mpixel camera to windows 8 phones and we already know through leaks that larger resolutions and multiple cores are coming for windows 8 phones.
The Nokia Lumia PureView rumor/leak has nothing to do with this Ms Nerd dude at all and originates from a Chinese site. My post above was addressing the following made up stuff that this guy piled up on top of it and that ToTTenTranz was re-posting. Case closed.

As that MS Nerd guy says. It's a prime example of making a non-factual blog post, getting more reputable sites to repost or rephrase it, and by that route turning non-factual information into information is then repeated by others as factual information. Also quite interesting in how quickly non-factual information is spread as factual.

Happens all the time with all kinds of stuff. It's why I approach all blogs and all non-traditional news outlets with huge honking grains of salt.

It's even worse when you have sites that start with some potentially factual numbers, then use creative number manipulation and a healthy dose of assumptions and suppositions to make non-factual statements which then get spread around as fact.

Regards,
SB

The lack of any concrete sales numbers from Nokia or Microsoft continues to leave the doors wide open for all sorts of speculation, but damage control on Lumia 900 sales has already kicked in, having identified Easter as possibly in retrospect not being the best time for this particular product launch, despite having enlisted the aid of such A-list celebrities as Nicki Minaj and Kourtney Kardashian.

In the meanwhile, a report on market share in China reveals that Nokia's previously strong position there collapsed in 2011 as customers flock to Android en masse.

Geez people I wrote "tidbits to join the rumour party".
Ok, so it's bulls and I'm sorry I didn't know it in advance, but it's not like I - or any blog/forum post I saw mentioning it - tried to make it pass as hard evidence or insider knowledge.

Enough with the witch hunt, please?

Any idea if that's 2M units shipped to retailers or in consumer hands?
Since the numbers are coupled to a revenue statement, I assume they're talking about sold by Nokia rather than sell-through to consumers.

Other than that, the whole release reeks of desperation to me. Like having jumped off their burning platform (Symbian/MeGoo) with an anchor (WP) tied around their neck. Trying to convince inverstors that said anchor will soon morph into a live saving buoy before they hit the water (and eventually a soaring balloon).

The market doesn't seem as optimistic, and Nokia is down 16% after the press release.

Nokia sold 2 million Lumia phones and a total of 12 million 'smart devices' in Q1.

It means that between Symbian, MeeGo and WP7, only 1 out of 5 people want to purchase a WP7 device

Since Nokia has only been marketing WP7 devices (while calling the other models as dead and burning) for the last 2-3 quarters, this has a simple meaning: no one wants WP7.

Ouch..

BTW, by looking at those graphics, we can also make some rough estimations on how much N9 handsets are still being sold. The graphic from AAS is only taking Symbian and WP7 phones into account, Ahonen's has all models.

It means that between Symbian, MeeGo and WP7, only 1 out of 5 people want to purchase a WP7 device

Since Nokia has only been marketing WP7 devices (while calling the other models as dead and burning) for the last 2-3 quarters, this has a simple meaning: no one wants WP7.

Those graphs show that Nokia branded phones as a whole are taking a hammering, and nokia WP7 is not changing that.

Update, just noticed this story, N900 new flagship phone is a freebie on AT&T contract for anyone that purchases before 21st April. They are giving everyone $100 credit because of an early bug.

Those graphs show that Nokia branded phones as a whole are taking a hammering, and nokia WP7 is not changing that.

Other data suggests Nokia grabbed 87% of WP7 market share in only 4 months of availability in the UK.

WP7 doesn't appear to be changing Nokia's freefall, but the other manufacturers have it far worse still.

Other manufacturers are not betting their entire future on stillborn platform either. WP7 for them is just a tiny niche on the market.

Also, being happy about your market share dropping from 12.4 to 2.4+2.5=4.9% is somewhat funny.

Correction: Nokia branded phones are taking a hammering because of the burning platform memo and the idiotic way they've decided to adopt WP7 - and not because of some "Nokia was decaying anyway" poor/ignorant explanation that many noth-american technews blogs have been prophesizing for years.

Up until February 2011 (burning platform memo), sales numbers had been increasing, revenues were increasing (the Symbian^3 models launched in early Q4 2011 alowed for higher prices and higher profits per unit), share prices were increasing..
This isn't rocket science, just look at the sales charts and see what happens since the 11th February announcement.
The only thing that wasn't increasing was market share, but when Android 2.1->2.3 stormed the market in that period, everyone else lost market share, even apple.

Correction: Nokia branded phones have are taking a hammering because of the burning platform memo and the idiotic way they've decided to adopt WP7 - and not because of some "Nokia was decaying anyway" poor/ignorant explanation that many noth-american technews blogs have been prophesizing for years.

Up until February 2011 (burning platform memo), sales numbers had been increasing, revenues were increasing (the Symbian^3 models alowed for higher prices and higher profits per unit), share prices were increasing..
The only thing that wasn't increasing was market share, but when Android 2.1->2.3 stormed the market in that period, everyone else lost market share, even apple.

They had the answer...Meamo...

They had the answer...Meamo...

MeeGo, actually.
Maemo was it's predecessor on N900 (another successful "experiment" like N9 that the monkeys over at Nokia's board of directors made sure it wouldn't have any substantial continuity).

And they still have that answer, with smooth Symbian->MeeGo transitions through Qt..
But I guess the deals that Elop made with Microsoft probably involve turning Nokia into Microsoft's puppet. Nokia will only release what MS tells them to.

Funny question: can't Elop and Nokia's Board of Directors be charged with corporate corruption or something?
Can they actually keep destroying the company's brand and assets on purpose, while firing thousands of employees every quarter in order to make it cheap enough for Microsoft to buy Nokia at dirt-low prices? Isn't that some sort of crime?

Aren't they threatening the Finnish/European economy and patrimony?

MeeGo, actually
No Meamo...Meego was essentially Meamo...now that Meego has been taken into Tizen...Nokia has got Meamo(Formally Meego)...basically, they could have released/kept Meego/Meamo 6..with full software support, full marketing push, updated hardware....that would have been the third ecosystem...

Saying that though, i DO expect both the Lumia 900 AND Windows phone to succeed..eventually...but it will take WP8, ambitious hardware and some better marketing to make that happen.

I have to say Android still isn't as slick as you would want..despite all the power..the fragmentation is getting ridiculous, not knowing whether you brand new Galaxy s3..with the most powerfull up to date hardware will even have access to all the best games??..joke.

And they still have that answer, with smooth Symbian->MeeGo transitions through Qt..
But I guess the deals that Elop made with Microsoft probably involve turning Nokia into Microsoft's puppet. Nokia will only release what MS tells them to.
Yup, Symbian just needed a little TLC..it is actually VERY good by all accounts..and does it on out of date ARM 11 processors...so can scale right down to almost any level you want.
The QT app development side of things was very astute from Nokia.
Funny question: can't Elop and Nokia's Board of Directors be charged with corporate corruption or something
Well he isn't looking too clever right now..he is basically trying to give the Lumia 900 away..so if this doesn't sell than he is in big trouble..

Can the investors launch a coup??

Back