AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Illogical? haha wow, really? it's not logical to think they will want to have smaller die sizes therefore increasing the amount of chips per wafer, if yields are similar?

If anything it's illogical to assume they will have the GTX780 die size nearly double that of the GTX680.
The 780 dies are reclaimed parts. You seem to be acting as if they're manufacturing 780 dies -- they aren't. The only reason the 780 will exist is because Nvidia doesn't have perfect yields. No company does. Ideally, Nvidia wouldn't make 780s at all, but they get a good number of chips that don't come out of the oven quite right -- especially with a 500mm2+ die. To counter this, they disable components on the GPUs to increase their yields.

On occasion, they may have to take dies that were perfectly qualified to be Titan parts, but the net result is higher revenues and profit margins than if they decided to chuck everything that wasn't good enough to be a Titan or K20 part in the garbage.

At the price that the 780 is selling for, demand is not going to be very high. There shouldn't be any issues with feeding the relatively small demand. The performance boost over the 680/770 is large enough to warrant adding another card to the top of the product stack.

Even if all dies were flawless, there'd still be good reasons to sell versions with units cut down: a halo part makes a regular high performance SKUs look more reasonable. The same way a triple burger makes a double burger look less outlandish.
It results in more people buying a higher performance unit and it lifts the price of everything.

*Citation needed.
I only need to cite it because it contradicts your agenda, and you're upset about being mocked for making silly claims.

But here are your sources:

1)
Common sense, logic, and math -- the 680 is currently selling for $450-500. The 770, which is better than the 680, would drop in at $500. Any other price doesn't make sense, unless Nvidia was feeling particularly sadistic and wanted to gobble up AMD's market share at the expense of profit margins.

The 780 has 50% more shaders than the 680/770, at least 25% more bandwidth and ROPs, and a larger frame buffer. It should come out to at least 20% percent faster than the 770 at relevant resolutions -- bandwidth is definitely Kepler's bottleneck. $600 is 1.2 * $500, but everybody knows that high end cards invariably offer less than 1:1 performance per dollar scaling. The 780 won't drop in at any less than $650, and I think that's being pretty generous, given the wide price gap between it and the Titan.

2)
http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/16945-geforce-gtx-780-nara-titan-i-pris
http://www.techpowerup.com/183455/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-wont-be-500-cheap-report.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-GTX780-Titan-GK110,22399.html (sweclockers is the original source)

With my Gigabyte 7950 I got a card in the box. At least I think it was in the box, but it could have been slipped in to the post package from the seller. I had the very old bundle of Dirt: Showdown, Deus Ex and Nexuiz. There was no mention of the bundle on the site at the time. I got it from PC case gear, who now advertise the bundles with their pre-built radeon machines.

I think I've seen that umart (my local store) also has advertised the bundles on their site, but I didn't realise this as the ad was always blocked via adblock for me. Either way, it's not really stated, you should probably confirm with whoever you buy from that it will be included. I really hope none of them are not honouring the deals correctly as has been done in other countries in the past... (giving them out with any purchase, even Nvidia! Ha!).

Tremendous value for a 7950

I ordered one to replace my primary Gigabyte 7950 that does not OV! :p
I doubt they will honour this, it's got a bunch of things wrong with the listing and other people clearly have it labelled as a 650ti boost.

Also I imagine that AMD have not made any deals on 7950 chips that would be low enough to allow this price.

Yeah I know, but I checked before ordering and they confirmed that the wrong info was a technical glitch and it is indeed a 7950. They would inform the product department to fix this, but I don't know why they haven't fixed it yet.

We'll see I guess.

Yeah I know, but I checked before ordering and they confirmed that the wrong info was a technical glitch and it is indeed a 7950. They would inform the product department to fix this, but I don't know why they haven't fixed it yet.

We'll see I guess.

Let us know which card you will eventually get, as 7950 for this price is a steal!

Let us know which card you will eventually get, as 7950 for this price is a steal!
This was posted by someone who made that gamble:
Well here's a photo of them still in the Amazon shipping box. I'm sure people will say I'm still lying, but sadly not!
afhmr7.jpg
Source.
I imagine that amazon will be getting a bunch of 650ti boost returns. :LOL:

"Thief" Optimized for AMD Technologies
http://www.techpowerup.com/185479/thief-optimized-for-amd-technologies.html

AMD today announced exclusive collaboration with Square Enix to optimize "THIEF" for the Graphics Core Next architecture in select AMD Radeon graphics processors, as well as the x86 and graphics architectures featured in AMD A-Series APUs. Developed in conjunction with the AMD Gaming Evolved program, "THIEF" will extensively leverage the advanced capabilities of AMD Radeon graphics processors, including AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology for panoramic gaming, AMD CrossFire multi-GPU technology for supreme performance, and state-of-the-art DirectX 11 rendering for pristine image quality.

So, basically, it's gonna support Eyefinity and extra DX11 effects? I hope the added on effects are better than the Deus Ex ones(The Tessellation was nice for conversation scenes but otherwise utterly useless). The DX10 and up effects found in Saints Row 3 made it look insanely beautiful at times. One of the few good uses of motion blur, even. Hopefully, they pattern it after SR3's usages of DX10+ stuff.

Well, it's Thief, so my guess is they'll go crazy on the lighting: global illumination, contact-hardening shadows, fancy ambient occlusion, etc.

Still the game looks outdated, at least compared to the likes of Fox Engine(MGS), Luminous (Final Fantasy),Witcher 3,The Division ..etc that were all on the showcase in E3.

Back