AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

I think it is because they want somehow to soften the damages of ever declining and disappearing gaming market. Like they use it to sponsor the development... Otherwise people will still play those games but download them from somewhere for free

I prefer paying for the games I want, and only for those games. This bundling shit that's doing the rounds right now is an insult to those who either have no interest in the games foisted on them or have already bought a copy from somewhere else.

Why would I want to pay for unwanted or duplicate games? That's crazy. It's not going to make me more interested in buying a particular brand of video card, but rather the opposite.

The prices of the cards didn't go up when AMD added those bundles. So you're not paying anything.

Plus you might be able to sell the games you don't want (don't know if that's legal).

Believe it or not but there are people out there who would actually believe that AMD cards aren't fast enough to run the newest games. By bundling just about every new big game of the past few months, they are shattering that delusion.

Why would I want to pay for unwanted or duplicate games? That's crazy. It's not going to make me more interested in buying a particular brand of video card, but rather the opposite.
While they inevitably hang around, we aim to have the bundles active ahead of the release of the titles increasing the potential value as you've not got it yet (or just need to cancel a pre-order). Most cases we get there a few weeks or a month or so ahead of the title launch.

I think it is because they want somehow to soften the damages of ever declining and disappearing gaming market.
Not sure what data you're going by, but our data points to exactly the opposite. Gaming TAM (hardware and software) is still in growth, including PC.

http://techreport.com/review/24592/amd-touts-unified-gaming-strategy

That is the illusion. Instead of declining prices, you see added "value" which keeps them at the same level.
Isn't it quite obvious?

Not necessarily. Let's say the bundle costs AMD $20.

They can:

A) Reduce prices by $20 by not including a bundle,
B) Include the bundle, and not touch the price.

Consequences:

A) Reduces margin/card, but increases volume. If the increase in volume is not enough to make up for the margin reduction, A is not worth it, and therefore not a valid option.
B) Reduces margin/card, but increases volume. The fact that AMD decided to go for B suggests that the increase in volume results in a net gain.

So you do get the games for free, because the additional sales volume pays for them.

So you're not paying anything.
That's impossible. The publisher isn't going to be giving away tens of thousands of copies of their high-profile software, they'll charge AMD for every game, and AMD will pass the cost on to their customers. This is the way these deals always work out in the end.

Plus you might be able to sell the games you don't want (don't know if that's legal).
OEM copies of software aren't allowed to be broken up and sold by vendors, but I doubt there's much in the way of legal barriers against end-users selling such games in most countries... *shrug* In any case it's a damn hassle. In what form are these games handed out btw, physical discs, steam codes, what? Other than blizzard collector's editions (and a Limbo collector's edition as well) I haven't bought, or much less installed a physical game in YEARS and don't feel like starting again now either...

A simple ebay search reveals a lot of things.

Of course these are distributed as codes for digital distribution download. The way a program like this works is via direct outlet participate - i.e. when someone orders a board that has a specific game promotion attached the outlet goes and picks a coupon along with the card to be packaged an posted. They would never want to deal with having to deal with individual disks; it increases the number of items they have to pick and maybe shipping costs as well.

"Feeling insulted" and spinning a free game bundle as a bad thing? Are you people that asinine? Or are you practicing you trolling skills?

P.S: Thinking the retailer would use disks when the promotion clearly spells out they are digital codes for the user to download the game takes the cake. Are you all still living in the 90s? :LOL:

Not sure what data you're going by, but our data points to exactly the opposite. Gaming TAM (hardware and software) is still in growth, including PC.

http://techreport.com/review/24592/amd-touts-unified-gaming-strategy

I think this whole declining PC market stats is based on the common cheap OEM laptops/desktops that everyone was buying which encompasses a majority of PC sales and thus affects the overall market stats more. But I don't see why tablet sales would harm the gaming market much, especially performance/enthusiast markets.

I think this whole declining PC market stats is based on the common cheap OEM laptops/desktops that everyone was buying which encompasses a majority of PC sales and thus affects the overall market stats more. But I don't see why tablet sales would harm the gaming market much, especially performance/enthusiast markets.

I agree with you, Its 2 different market.. but Financial analyst like to push high growth market stock.. And today the stocks are in favor of mobile market brands, so they push thoses market as far as they can.

While they inevitably hang around, we aim to have the bundles active ahead of the release of the titles increasing the potential value as you've not got it yet (or just need to cancel a pre-order). Most cases we get there a few weeks or a month or so ahead of the title launch.

I think this is the best thing about AMD's current strategy. Rather than bundling games that have already been released and sometimes have already been out for 6+ months, bundling games that have yet to be released is fantastic.

It certainly makes it tempting to buy a new video card sooner than I would otherwise (not happened yet, but tempting) as a lot of the bundles have included games I plan on buying anyway.

Regards,
SB

That's impossible. The publisher isn't going to be giving away tens of thousands of copies of their high-profile software, they'll charge AMD for every game, and AMD will pass the cost on to their customers. This is the way these deals always work out in the end.
That's not necessarily true. The card prices didn't go up after to the bundles. The goal is to increase market share and profit more due to higher volume. Plus, there's a marketing benefit as it generates press.

I can understand not being influenced by the bundles, but to buy something else because of the bundle seems irrational.

Actually some of the contracts are a bit murkier than that... in some cases cash doesn't even exchange hands.

AMD's 8000 series vs Nvidia's 700 series

From the various web postings it seems like AMD is just re-branding the HD7970 into the HD8970 with no changes at all.

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_Radeon_HD_8970_Feature_Summary.pdf

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87764&start=

And this month Nvidia will be releasing the GTX780 and GTX770 that are more powerful than the GTX680 and GTX670 they replace.

Carrying this forward Nvidia will release the GTX760Ti, GTX760 etc that are more powerful than the equivalent GTX6x0 model they replace.

If all AMD is doing is just an in-place renames how is this in any way good for AMD?

I don't think AMD is concerned since they have their game bundles and the new Nvidia cards likely will be very expensive. Their value will not be better compared to their predecessors, I guess.

OEM rebrands, both companies have been doing it for a long time now. The real desktop 8-series will be out at the end of the year.

The newer Nvidia cards might be better value than they currently are but that's the level of change we're talking about unless they also start bundling games as well. I can't even see AMD dropping their prices all that much (on the 7-series) but they might increase their bundle instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
OEM rebrands, both companies have been doing it for a long time now. The real desktop 8-series will be out at the end of the year.

The newer Nvidia cards might be better value than they currently are but that's the level of change we're talking about unless they also start bundling games as well. I can't even see AMD dropping their prices all that much (on the 7-series) but they might increase their bundle instead.

I don't recall either company ever renaming the same product to indicate it's a next generation part in the same performance bracket.

Frankly, if the "8970" really is the exact same GPU as the "7970" without at least a 10-15% clock speed increase then thats a really low move by AMD.

I don't recall either company ever renaming the same product to indicate it's a next generation part in the same performance bracket.

Frankly, if the "8970" really is the exact same GPU as the "7970" without at least a 10-15% clock speed increase then thats a really low move by AMD.

I can't imagine why they would, a refresh would bring reduced power consumption, possibly a smaller die and likely a bump in performance.

Also i don't believe the Nvidia rumours, the GK110 die size is just too large to be used in a higher production, lower price model.

Back