AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Yes but why price something for $600 when you can price it at $800

Because Nvidia may be moving the price of the Titan down to the $800 price when the Titan Ultra is released at $1000 later this year. Or they may just retire the original Titan when the Titan Ultra is released. And as they currently have a price difference of $550 between the Titan ($1000) and the GTX680 ($450) having a $400 difference seems fine.

Nvidia also probably determined that they can make more revenue selling at $600 vs $800 because the volume would be greater at $600.

Also putting the hurt on AMD's product lineup helps keep AMD's revenue down hindering R&D.

and have something else at $549-$599?
The 700 series needs to have 25-35% improvement vs the 600 series and I see no way to increase the GTX680 by that amount while staying on 28nm. Why spend $$$ on new layouts when existing silicon (GTX110) is available to fill the 700 product lineup.

If the "Titan Ultra" will be released - the whole thing is at the moment nothing but pure speculation by 3DCenter.org (which calls it Titan II btw, not Ultra)

Why spend $$$ on new layouts when existing silicon (GTX110) is available to fill the 700 product lineup.

Because the difference between the 550mm2 and 293mm2 die is huge, the latter having double the die per wafer and a years longer production time on top of that.

Nvidia needs to be able to meet the demand for the entire range and there is no way that a 550mm2 chip can cover the volume required for the whole 700 series.

Because the difference between the 550mm2 and 293mm2 die is huge, the latter having double the die per wafer and a years longer production time on top of that.

Nvidia needs to be able to meet the demand for the entire range and there is no way that a 550mm2 chip can cover the volume required for the whole 700 series.

Why the heck do you even think much less believe that the GK110 would cover the entire 700 lineup.

All of the published stories show only the GTX 780 using the GK110 and the GTX 770 and GTX 760ti would use the GK104 – 425.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31167-geforce-gtx-780-770-coming-in-may

The 2013 Nvidia Lineup: GTX780 is Titan LE, GTX770 is GTX680, GTX760Ti is GTX670?

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...2c-gtx770-is-gtx6802c-gtx760ti-is-gtx670.aspx

Why does it make a difference that one is longer in production than the other? They use the same process...

Why not? 500+mm2 dies have been used before, on immature processes even. There's no reason it can't happen again. And 28nm should be rock solid by now.

Why the heck do you even think much less believe that the GK110 would cover the entire 700 lineup.

I don't, it was you who said that's what they should do?

All of the published stories show only the GTX 780 using the GK110 and the GTX 770 and GTX 760ti would use the GK104 – 425.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31167-geforce-gtx-780-770-coming-in-may

So why are you talking about GK110 filling the 700 product lineup? Make up your mind.

I don't, it was you who said that's what they should do?

So why are you talking about GK110 filling the 700 product lineup? Make up your mind.

Your mind is the one that is has gotten confused. Partially reading posts seem to be one reason you have been getting confused.

The discussion was about filling out the high-end of Nvidia's 700 series with the GK110 and somehow you translate that to the entire 700 line-up.

My other posts on this subject have shown links and descriptions that have shown that the GTX 770 and GTX 760ti will be based on the GK104.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1729201&postcount=6164

How you get "entire line-up" from the word "fill" in the discussion about the Titan, $600 & $800 graphics cards and the GTX 680 is just one example of how out-of-context quotes and not reading the entire post seems to be confusing you.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1729933&postcount=4623

Your mind is the one that is has gotten confused. Partially reading posts seem to be one reason you have been getting confused.

The discussion was about filling out the high-end of Nvidia's 700 series with the GK110 and somehow you translate that to the entire 700 line-up.

My other posts on this subject have shown links and descriptions that have shown that the GTX 770 and GTX 760ti will be based on the GK104.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1729201&postcount=6164

How you get "entire line-up" from the word "fill" in the discussion about the Titan, $600 & $800 graphics cards and the GTX 680 is just one example of how out-of-context quotes and not reading the entire post seems to be confusing you.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1729933&postcount=4623

I did read the entire post, it was just one of your usual posts filled with wishful thinking and at the end of it you flat out suggested that Nvidia could just use the "GTX110" to fill the 700 product lineup.
(GTX110) is available to fill the 700 product lineup.
Aside from that we have gems about Nvidia "putting the hurt on AMD" (with a $600 card? Which card has AMD got in that space?)

It's the same with releasing a faster GK104 with double the VRAM and $60 cheaper. WHY would they do that? They are simply competing with themselves as AMD has comparatively little presence in the high end anyway.

It's the same with releasing a faster GK104 with double the VRAM and $60 cheaper. WHY would they do that? They are simply competing with themselves as AMD has comparatively little presence in the high end anyway.

Because the market demands a product refresh. Launching the 7xx creates demand which will be greater than that for the existing 6xx series at this point in it's life.

NV want to sell products, the only way to encourage the market to buy them is to keep releasing better ones.

Because the market demands a product refresh. Launching the 7xx creates demand which will be greater than that for the existing 6xx series at this point in it's life.

NV want to sell products, the only way to encourage the market to buy them is to keep releasing better ones.

I don't disagree, however the point I'm making is about the price and availability.

You believe that Nvidia is going to replace the current 680 with the same die with higher clocks and double VRAM for $60 less (positioned as the 770). I can just about believe the first two but I can't see any chance of them releasing it for $$ less.

670's will outsell 680's by a factor of at least 2-1. I just can't see how Nvidia has supposedly been stockpiling better 680's to sell as 770's for less cash, especially with another 2GB VRAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
wtf

I don't disagree, however the point I'm making is about...pulling shit out of my ass...
I may be "the Drooler", so I have a hardtime understanding what this has to do with AMD's 7****. Or any card that starts with a 7 is now in this thread? Well back to my towel.

I was going to post something about this price, .. but i will follow karlorra... or this discussion will never end about a price we dont know yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping for a faster 7970 at this point and maybe some downward drops in card pricing. But oh well. Its going to be a dry summer in terms of games. I can wait

The good people at AMD sent me an email, informing me that I will be having two Blood Dragon codes by next week. One for each card. This was not included in the initial Reloaded Bundle offer! I was about to buy the little sucker. You gotta love these guys!

If they bring some good prices and bundle for the 8000 series, I will be glad to continue offering my support. My 7950 CFX purchase feels like getting better and better.

I prefer paying for the games I want, and only for those games. This bundling shit that's doing the rounds right now is an insult to those who either have no interest in the games foisted on them or have already bought a copy from somewhere else.

Why would I want to pay for unwanted or duplicate games? That's crazy. It's not going to make me more interested in buying a particular brand of video card, but rather the opposite.

Back