AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Does going 1:2 vs 1:4 incur a (heavy) hit on perf/W and perf/mm2?
It depends on what you compare. For DP-FLOPs/Watt or DP-FLOPs/mm² it would be a gain, not a hit. ;)

But how heavy the hit for SP performance would be, that is just (rough) guessing as long as AMD didn't looked at it already and Dave decides to chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:
AMD already showed a dual-tahiti card card long ago, in a firepro presentation, and the 7990 never surfaced, so go figure... http://techreport.com/news/23114/amd-shows-upcoming-dual-gpu-card

EDIT: if not clear, this was related to the "SM10000" discussion, ie amd has shown a dual-tahiti card which we haven't seen as a product elsewhere, so it's pretty likely that's the "SM10000" (don't believe that name).

Looks like dx11.1 will be a win8 only feature. I would be surprised to see any games using it.
article

I was looking to see it in use with a 7970 with win7 just to compare to win8.

As a gamer, will you be updating to Windows 8 anytime soon?
No, and you should get rid of this idea to desperately foist this ridiculous os. :devilish:

Oh, and if you don't fix your os and with next versions continue in the same manner, then I will switch to Linux or MacOS or whatever... Just not this. :LOL:

AMD already showed a dual-tahiti card card long ago, in a firepro presentation, and the 7990 never surfaced, so go figure... http://techreport.com/news/23114/amd-shows-upcoming-dual-gpu-card
There may be no reference model from AMD, but you can actually buy different models from Powercolor (2 variants, the "normal" one and the Devil13) and Club3D with VTX having announced a fourth one (but it hasn't arrived in shops so far). Right now, you have to pay between 816€ for the cheapest version and 920€ or so for the Devil13 (including 19% VAT) here in Germany. And there are cards in stock, they are existing and buyable.

It always bugged me why AMD did not do a 7990..and let Nvidia run scot free on the high end....these cards are very easy money i would think from the high mark up....

However i remember catching a glimpse of "a" reference 7990 from AMD's own hands....and it has with 3 fans....maybe that has something to do about the missing dual Tahiti...when the 6990 came with a single fan stuck in the center...and Nvidia rushed out the 690.

I think AMD goofed up a bit on the TDP of Tahiti...i hope they dont drop compute resources in the Sea Islands....assuming it was the cause of AMD losing the perf/w/mm to Nvidia.

As a gamer, will you be updating to Windows 8 anytime soon?
No, and you should get rid of this idea to desperately foist this ridiculous os. :devilish:

Oh, and if you don't fix your os and with next versions continue in the same manner, then I will switch to Linux or MacOS or whatever... Just not this. :LOL:

I'm a gamer, I updated to Win8, and after just couple days I can already say that Win8 is having the same problem Vista had - a lot of bad talk based on hearsay and 3rd or 4th hand information.

The OS is definitely not bad, the Metro/Modern-UI does take something to get used to, but there's a way to bypass it if you don't want to learn it.

I'm a gamer, I updated to Win8, and after just couple days I can already say that Win8 is having the same problem Vista had - a lot of bad talk based on hearsay and 3rd or 4th hand information.
Well, that's discouraging. Vista is what kicked me into the Mac camp. My PC still hasn't been upgraded to Win7 and I still hate Vista first hand. ;)

Well, that's discouraging. Vista is what kicked me into the Mac camp. My PC still hasn't been upgraded to Win7 and I still hate Vista first hand. ;)

Aside from 3rd party driver issues, what was wrong with Vista when you tried it? Sure it wasn't on the level it's today, but as long as 3rd parties did their job, I don't know what would have been actually bad in it - sure, UAC could be annoying but could be disabled easily.
Don't blame the OS if 3rd parties screw up.

I used Vista since beta stages as the only OS, same with 7. With 8 I only did quick tries on the beta/rc stages, but moved to it this week as I finally got a SSD.

The biggest issue I had with Vista was that the hard drive seemed to be accessing constantly, even when the PC was supposed to be idling.

The biggest issue I had with Vista was that the hard drive seemed to be accessing constantly, even when the PC was supposed to be idling.
Turn off auto-indexing. My biggest problem with Vista was that graphics performance was generally lower than XP. Win7 addressed most of these issues.

Turn off auto-indexing. My biggest problem with Vista was that graphics performance was generally lower than XP. Win7 addressed most of these issues.

But was that down to OS, or just immature drivers on the new driver model?

Aside from 3rd party driver issues, what was wrong with Vista when you tried it?
Very bad performance for simple file system tasks, especially if they involved network accesses (it was often only 10% of the performance with XP). One could even crash the Windows Explorer with certain file copy tasks. The performance got somewhat improved with SP1, though (and the crashes were gone). But it was still tangible slower for accessing Windows network drives than XP at that time.

This. The disk swapping. Never. Stopped. I don't care what the reason was. Add to that the inane security naggings. The unusable backup system (for the cheapest Vista version at least). I'm sure it was possible to fix all that, but I simply decided it was time to give up and spend a bit more for something less insulting that works out of the box. (The introduction of TimeMachine was the final push.) I did install a $20 (corporate discount) WinXP virtual machine on my Mac which was more bearable than Vista.

From ComputerWorld: "Nvidia, AMD release graphics processors for supercomputing."

FirePro SM10000: 1.48 DP TFLOPS, 6 GB memory.

The article on ComputerWorld was removed. AMD released the FirePro S10000 (not SM10000) today and it's really a dual-GPU board, which was showed by Mark Papermaster this summer.

52625A_FirePro_S10000_375W.png

http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/firepro-remote-graphics/S10000/Pages/S10000.aspx

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-most-powerful-server-graphics-2012nov12.aspx

Back