AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Back then they didn't know they'd have to delay the launch by a few weeks due to capacity/yield issues at TSMC. Most rumors and alleged insiders point to a release in January now.

if AMD ships cards in December, this quote is perfectly fine.

384-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface, memory clock slightly below 1 GHz, target bandwidth of 240~264 GB/s
The memory clock number doesn't match the bandwidth number, and what you quoted doesn't match what 3dcenter says. They say chip clock slightly below 1Ghz and the memory clock is a more reasonable 1250-1350Mhz (which matches the bandwidth figure).

if AMD ships cards in December, this quote is perfectly fine.
Fair enough. I was only referring to an actual launch, but if we count shipping you're right, of course.;)

Besides, I'm aware that cards are probably shipping soon or already shipping, what I meant was that they probably decided against a December launch because demand would have outstripped the (thin) supply by orders of magnitude, potentially damaging 6800/6900 sales as well.

I'll just leave this here

7970.png

My math indicates the FLOPS figure is too low.

The idle power does strike me as being low for a whole-board figure. Even for just the GPU, it seems too low.
Some pretty new stuff would be needed to reach a lower order of magnitude than possible on previous cards.

The idle power does strike me as being low for a whole-board figure. Even for just the GPU, it seems too low.
Some pretty new stuff would be needed to reach a lower order of magnitude than possible on previous cards.

It does seems insanely low unless they can pretty much put the whole card to sleep.

AMD have been pushing hard on GPU power management for the last couple of years. If you were selling these parts for GPU supercomputers, that would have big advantages in terms of power and cooling requirements when your idle GPUs can use so little power.

3W is probably related to "Bus Active - Chip Off"

If BACO is even lower than 3W, well then hats off..

Back