I've been losing 2/3rds pound or 300g per day

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
Is this normal? I don't feel hungry, I feel energetic and yet im losing a massive quantity of weight in a single day consistantly. I drew a graph over the last 6 days and it was a flat line downwards every morning when I weighed myself without fail I had lost another 300g or thereabouts.

I lost 15.7KG over the last 8 weeks so I have been consistant at losing 300g per day since I started. I started at 93.7kg and now im 78.0 as of today.5
This is what I have been eating on most days:

2-3 coffees with milk, large mug.
1 plate of allbran or bread for breakfast
meat + vegetables but no carbs for dinner except on Sunday where I like to eat heaps of fish and chips but still I lose weight on those days.

and my exercise has been:

Some Kinect games
12-16km walks with my dog
lots of sex, I seem to want sex more now that I have dropped so much weight, I have been lasting 10-20mins on average rather than 3-7 minutes so im very satisfied there as well.

Should I be worried about my rate of weight loss? My Dr got a big shock when I came in for my check up and I had lost that much weight.

P.S. I see a little Cayman in Nebulas future. ;-)

If you're not eating anything else, it's normal. Your body is running in ketosis since your carbohydrate ingestion is at such low levels. Ketogenic diets FTW! Just start adding more carbs in your food once you're at the weight you think is suitable for you, and you'll start getting hungry again. Or, just forget the carbs, in reality they are only good for making you feel worse - you might want to start eating more fat to throttle your weight loss.

Ketogenic diets FTW! Just start adding more carbs in your food once you're at the weight you think is suitable for you, and you'll start getting hungry again. Or, just forget the carbs, in reality they are only good for making you feel worse.

Yeah carbs the evil of today, yesterday it was something else and tomorrow "you" will find a new evil...

In reality there is nothing wrong with carbs, it is an excellent power source for humans, especially for muscles in high intensity situations. Imo balanced diet FTW! right fuel for right situations etc.

I lost 15.7KG over the last 8 weeks so I have been consistant at losing 300g per day since I started. I started at 93.7kg and now im 78.0 as of today.5
if your excerise/eating habits are not radically different than they were 3 months ago (u dont mention this) then u should see a doctor immediately as there are diseases linking to rapid weight loss (though I forget which)

Well carbs are necessary for the body but one can throttle carb intake and source. Fast carbs generally just makes your body more prone to 'bulk' up for a while. Slow carbs are the best carb type.

You probably also quite a bit below your daily recommended intake to sustain body functions so body will use fat and some muscle tissue to produce energy for the body. Check what your daily recommended energy intake (kcal) is and do a check on the kcal sum of what you eat under a day. Also factor in the energy you use up by doing different activities/work etc. Also factor in that 2-3 cups of coffee is about 150-400mg of coffeine which increases metabolism.

Just make sure you dont put body in starvation mode which is not healthy and muscle tissue is the primary energy source in such mode.

Anwyay from what I read it is recommended to be about 500kcal under RDI. But since you have lots of sex which is often a full body excersize then this is very likely saving quite a bit of muscle tissue from being used up by body for energy which otherwise happens with rapid weightloss (and a good portion of muscle tissue to). So this will help keep as much muscle tissue as possible even when being 500kcal under your RDI.

Btw what is your target weight goal?

P.S. I see a little Cayman in Nebulas future. ;-)

hpme.jpg

You shouldn't lose much more than 400g per week though! You're at 5x that! It's dangerous. You'll be burning up muscle tissue and then even organ tissue if you're not careful. You'll lose your hair, etc. Proteins will be burnt up for basic energy requirements rather than being building blocks needed for making new cells, your bones may get brittle, and all the toxins stored up in your fat reserves will be released back into your system relatively all at once - be very careful with this.

If this isnt planned or you have no way to explain it... (even though you imply you are more active now) go to your Doctor's get a full medical including getting your blood checked.

A late friend of mine many many years ago was suffering from a potentially terminal disease and never realised until it was way too late.

if your excerise/eating habits are not radically different than they were 3 months ago (u dont mention this) then u should see a doctor immediately as there are diseases linking to rapid weight loss (though I forget which)

Im walking like 2-2.5hrs per day @ >5.5km/h pace. Theres no difference in the weight loss.

As for diseases I heard that you feed a cold and starve a colon cancer.

Well carbs are necessary for the body but one can throttle carb intake and source. Fast carbs generally just makes your body more prone to 'bulk' up for a while. Slow carbs are the best carb type.

I've been allowing a few complex carbohydrates but overall I haven't touched sugar in over a month in any form.

You probably also quite a bit below your daily recommended intake to sustain body functions so body will use fat and some muscle tissue to produce energy for the body. Check what your daily recommended energy intake (kcal) is and do a check on the kcal sum of what you eat under a day. Also factor in the energy you use up by doing different activities/work etc. Also factor in that 2-3 cups of coffee is about 150-400mg of coffeine which increases metabolism

150-250g meat portion + 3 cups of vegetables excl carrots/potato and the milk in coffee, say 400-500ml milk with a cup of all bran?

Anyway I looked at some site and it indicates that I've been running at a deficit of 2000-2400 calories per day given my weight loss of 2/3rds pound a day.

Just make sure you dont put body in starvation mode which is not healthy and muscle tissue is the primary energy source in such mode.

My strength / weight ratio is up but my overall strength has been reduced noticeably. I thought this was to be expected?

Btw what is your target weight goal?

My target weight goal is currently between 65 and 69 KG. I originally started at 94kg and I am 167 CM tall with a slight frame so I feel that is about what I ought to weigh.

hpme.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't lose much more than 400g per week though! You're at 5x that! It's dangerous. You'll be burning up muscle tissue and then even organ tissue if you're not careful. You'll lose your hair, etc. Proteins will be burnt up for basic energy requirements rather than being building blocks needed for making new cells, your bones may get brittle, and all the toxins stored up in your fat reserves will be released back into your system relatively all at once - be very careful with this.

Its dangerous? How come all those diets etc claim to give people such rapid weight loss if it is dangerous to peoples health? Surely people would be dropping like flies on such diets if it was so dangerous?

I haven't 'felt' any negative effects. I don't feel tired, I drink heaps of water to keep my kidneys healthy and my blood clean. Honestly, I would have thought that if I was experiencing negative effects I would have become tired and lethargic. I feel less tired now than when I was obese! Im listening, but im not quite understanding the connection here.

*Disclaimer* I have bi-polar disorder so that makes me incredibly single minded if I set my mind to something to the expense of all other considerations.

If this isnt planned or you have no way to explain it... (even though you imply you are more active now) go to your Doctor's get a full medical including getting your blood checked.

Well I cut my diet back from high fast food, 1.5L pepsi per day etc to a very healthy diet whilst quadrupling my exercise. It was definately planned, I wanted to lose weight but I feel like I can't slow down.

Good luck with the dieting then.. :)

I hadn't been able to gain weight since I was about 15 years ago, stuck around 7 to 8 stones for oooh... 16 years. Then late last year I got hungry to the point that even a few minutes of hunger was unbearable forcing me to eat. For the first time in all those years I am now at a much more respectabe 10 stones. No idea how that switch got turned on. Heh.

P.S. Don't ask me to go metric... ;).

What!!!

500kcal as in 500 kilo calories as in 500,000 calories !!!!

according to this
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/logout/calorie_intake.htm

UK Department of Health Estimated Average Requirements (EAR) are a daily calorie intake of 1940 calories per day for women and 2550 for men.

dietary "calorie" = kcal

BTW, when I started reading your first post Squil, I'm thinking spambot stole an account and is hocking magic pills :)

A strict diet and much more exercise will do the trick for rapid weight loss. You say you ate fast food before and now are on a much healthier diet, that alone probably accounts for half the weight loss. And upping your exercise also helps out a lot because that walk alone is probably burning a few hundred calories. The great thing about walking is that after the first hour or so then your body is consuming fat stores in order to continue pushing it.

If you didn't change your eating habits drastically and up your exercise regimen I would think there is definitely something worth seeing a doctor about. There's a few types of cancer that will cause you to have massive weight loss in a short period of time, but that would be without a change in diet or exercise. You also feel more energized so that is a good sign as well.

So walking a lot more than previously and getting on a strict diet definitely sounds like the culprit here. Who knows though, you might have some weird hormone imbalance that is causing you to want to eat right and exercise so much! The longer lasting sex sessions sounds like it might be that, but thgat's just a wild guess.

Yeah carbs the evil of today, yesterday it was something else and tomorrow "you" will find a new evil...

Nah, the low carbs craze was in the 90s, in the last few years low fat and all kinds of silly exercise programs have been in. Low carb is about to come back soon though, now that truth starts to sink in. ;)

In reality there is nothing wrong with carbs, it is an excellent power source for humans, especially for muscles in high intensity situations. Imo balanced diet FTW! right fuel for right situations etc.

Of course. You can eat almost whatever you like, if you can control yourself. The problem with the carbs for many people is that the control is difficult to maintain, since the carbs trigger the insulin rollercoaster - you get hungry after a couple of hours, no matter how much you stuff yourself. With low carb diet, it is easy to eat two or three times a day feeling energetic and not hungry, as our friend Squilliam here has testified.

Nah, the low carbs craze was in the 90s, in the last few years low fat and all kinds of silly exercise programs have been in. Low carb is about to come back soon though, now that truth starts to sink in. ;)

Low carp is already very popular currently with those who like to think themselves as in the know :smile:

Of course. You can eat almost whatever you like, if you can control yourself. The problem with the carbs for many people is that the control is difficult to maintain, since the carbs trigger the insulin rollercoaster - you get hungry after a couple of hours, no matter how much you stuff yourself. With low carb diet, it is easy to eat two or three times a day feeling energetic and not hungry, as our friend Squilliam here has testified.

You don't get hungry in a couple of hours if stuff yourself with carbs. Your body can't process them that fast. But yeah high protein low carb diet has some benefits, especially in relation to it being easy for lot of people. Balanced diet is still better and I myself got my Goat when I was on low carb, a lot sooner than my father did back in the day.

I recommend a couple Elvis Presley-style Fool's Gold sandwiches. That'll fix you right up! :D

Carbs aren't necessarily bad. But in order to prevent addiction and mood swings, you are highly recommended to avoid simple carbs (white rice and such), and go for complex carbs instead (e.g. non-white rice, grains and such). Of course, even that is only when you are actually having health problems (either physical or mental). Complex carbs release 'feel good' hormones in your body very gradually (as they are gradually decomposed) whereas simple carbs release a lot quickly, which generates euforia, which is then (over)compensated for by your brain by increasing the serotonine uptake.

Sugars are the worst offenders for this, as they for a large part are digested in your saliva already and taken up by your glands to be transported to your brain almost directly. That is why they can be very addictive (and the addiction is as real as any euphoria related addiction!). So avoiding sugar should be your first priority. Then simple carbs are changed by your body into sugar very quickly as well, so they have the same effect, but delayed and not as powerful. Complex carbs gradually release their energy, and therefore don't cause spikes that your brain reacts to.

Spikes in serotonine can are bad because your brain to change permanently in order to protect itself against such spikes in the future / balance itself out against these spikes. Also, the effect is basically that all the other healthy stuff that causes serotonine levels to increase (solving problems, sports, social interaction, sunlight) becomes less significant.

High carb intake is mainly a problem if you don't exercise. If you exercise regularly your muscles will help store and release glycogen as needed. If you do long distance stuff like running, cycling, rowing or cross country skiing, your liver will improve its ability to store and release glycogen too.

Cheers

Back