Netflix from the PS3 XMB on Monday the 18th

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/14/netflixps3/

If you instantly watch movies and TV shows from Netflix on your PS3, here is the news you’ve been waiting for: starting Monday, October 18 you’ll be able to instantly watch movies and TV shows without inserting an instant streaming disc into your console.
In addition to eliminating the disc, there is a new user interface that brings a much richer and faster browsing experience, content search directly on the device, and dramatic improvements in how fast playback starts.

There is a video showing features which appear like those in the LoveFilm video which is to be expected since they are using the same cross platform media player/DRM app by Widevine.

On the Netflix icon was Beta in script. First comment was Eric stating a new app was received that supports 1080P

Last edited by a moderator:
If there isn't already an icon for it then how can it be thru the xmb? Sorry I can't see the link thru work.

According to Eric, on Monday a Icon will appear and you can go to the PSN store to download the Widevine "thin" player/DRM inside a Sony shell. The first time the "Thin" cross platform player (read Javascript UI) connects it will download the UI from Netflix.

It uses a Javascript engine that's now in the PS3 after Firmware 3.5.

I'm guessing that there will be a firmware update Monday that might have parts of Ultraviolet in it. It's guesswork as to what's in Firmware for the last few as Sony is not listing firmware changes. Possibly because it would allow us to confirm a HTML5 webkit browser is coming.

Xbox now has robust HTML5 support as seen at GDC with the ESPN3 demo. Hard to tell what the PS3 has but I expect Javascript with XML and the new HTML5 API javascript calls. I.E. minimum necessary for web apps from the XMB and "Skinnys".

Hulu Plus (Preview) and NetFlix follow very similar UI convention. LoveFilm has slightly more fancy UI:

Xbox now has robust HTML5 support as seen at GDC with the ESPN3 demo. Hard to tell what the PS3 has but I expect Javascript with XML and the new HTML5 API javascript calls. I.E. minimum necessary for web apps from the XMB and "Skinnys".

Considering Sony is releasing a Google TV enabled standalone BD player (along with their Google TV enabled... TVs), I think speculation about providing a Google TV update (perhaps even paid) for the PS3 would be reasonable. And with Google TV comes Chrome (with HTML5 and so on). However, I have no idea what the hardware requirements are for Google TV or how they (SCE) could monetize such an update to cover the R&D cost to reach a very limited market. Maybe SCE will call in a favor to Sony Electronics and make them foot the bill considering they saved their ass, and all. :LOL: :devilish: (j/k)

The Electronics guy probably find the relationship awkward because PS3 can/has been cannibalizing standalone sales. :p

Here's the official Sony Google TV lineup and prices:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...Sony/Sony_Reveals_their_Google_TV_Lineup/5610

Too bad they have 24" and 36" GoogleTV but no similar size 3DTV. :(

I think the best compromise is to bring the functionality over without tying entirely to GoogleTV UI and OS (e.g., Use REST API where possible). Google seems to not care about consistent look & feel anyway. They don't have to worry about the (weaker) security of Android this way. Sony's Skinny SDK seems capable enough.

I wonder if it's possible to do a Google Maps client on PS3.

I wouldn't say they are identical. There are differences but the apps are built based on some sort of common templates.

The Skinny SDK allows developers to write an app via a web tool.

I wouldn't say they are identical. There are differences but the apps are built based on some sort of common templates.

Common themes, same player engine and yes minor difference like the size of buttons. Possibly for cell phone and touch screen players?

The Hulu app is considerably different. I'm hearing that it allows XMB access with more features like chat to be implemented between viewers.

Side note; the Icon for Netflix has Beta in script in the video with Eric seen on the Sony blog. EDIT: 1080P support with new version of the player.

Off Topic

Too bad they have 24" and 36" GoogleTV but no similar size 3DTV. :(

Not sure if you've seen this yet, but here's a Viewsonic 24" 3D LCD monitor. £330 (~ $527 according to Engadget) and comes with 1 pair of active shutter glasses.

Not to pleased with the external design, myself, but other than that it's what I've been looking for to sample 3D. The "wired" active shutter glasses mentioned in the press release, however, is a bit concerning. I don't really want to be tethered. And I can't tell if it includes HDMI inputs or not. I think I'll wait for Sammy to get off their ass and produce their equivalent of this (preferably with wireless glasses). :p

If there isn't already an icon for it then how can it be thru the xmb? Sorry I can't see the link thru work.

Apps dont need icons existing already to add themselves
There is a photo memory app in the japanese store that once you download it, it appears under photos

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/18/itv-player-playstation-3

"ITV is to put its catch-up TV service, the ITV Player, on Sony'sPlayStation 3 by the end of the year."

If you click on the link http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/ you can see a web browser version of the Player. The PS3 Web application launch-able from the XMB like Netflix will be released by the end of the year and I predict it will have a considerable upgrade in UI features over the Netflix app UI scheduled for release in October or the Lovefilm app UI scheduled for November. It MUST be close to the features of the Web browser version or Sony will get a pounding in the press.

Work in progress with WEB applications released at later dates with more features as more of the XML and HTML of a WebKit is completed.

There are business decisions that affect how much custom support a platform gets. Netflix appeared to choose a simple UI to support the least common denominator hardware platform. VUDU which has it's own box and uses the same Widevine player app supports a much more extensive UI. It also includes what it calls Vudu apps which on the PS3 will be Bravia Internet Video. The difference between the UI on Vudu and PS3 apps, a finished webkit in the Vudu box and Vudu is supporting only Vudu so the app can be designed with all the tools in a Webkit not a least common denominator.

ITV, unless there is an understanding with Sony for exclusivity, will also probably have an app on the Xbox in Europe. Since the Xbox now has HTML5 support as witnessed by the ESPN3 demo, the limiting factor in a cross platform player app for both the PS3 and Xbox will be the PS3 unless Sony get's support equal to the Xbox for HTML5 calls used by the ITV application finished by the end of the year.

Why do you believe every app coming out on PS3 is some HTML Webkit thing, and not just a native app written for PS3 like the photo viewer?

Why do you believe every app coming out on PS3 is some HTML Webkit thing, and not just a native app written for PS3 like the photo viewer?

I take you to mean stand alone application vs one that has support from Web tools in the PS3 as the applications we have been discussing have been web applications.

For the same reason Xbox now has HTML5 support. While it's possible to write a stand alone application for Netflix using the Widevine player and include a Javascript engine in the shell, if you have a javascript engine and are going to use it in multiple Web apps why not put it on the PS3 Hard disk and index it so that multiple applications can use it. The same applies to XML and HTML.

If you are asking why I believe Javascript is being used; the widevine player uses javascript for the UI and Netflix in June said they were going to HTML5 and dynamically updateable UIs (javascript).

If you are asking why I believe it's a "webkit thing"; that's more difficult. Webkit browsers allow applications to call web routines out of the webkit. If the PS3 is getting a Chrome browser, Sony would use the tools out of a webkit to support applications even if the webkit was a work in progress and not finished.

Hulu and MLB after PS3 firmware release 3.5 required an update. The final size for Mlb and Hulu dropped more than 8 megs after 3.5. 8 megs just happens to be the apx size of a Chrome javascript engine. I believe the javascript engine is now in the PS3 after 3.5 not in the Stand alone application. (Security also supports this speculation.)

While this does not prove anything a logical extension of my thesis is that web applications released at a later date will show a progression in UI functionality that indicates more support in the webkit for more html or XML routines. The dates chosen for Netflix, Lovefilm and then ITV reflecting the progression in web routines in the webkit.

Do the PS3 NetFlix, Hulu, LoveFirm UIs behave the same as their equivalent on PC ? If not, JavaScript + HTML5 may not be needed/used for these apps. Sony is supposed to have an easy-to-use, may be also web-based, authoring tool.

They do need to use the same server tech though.

Do the PS3 NetFlix, Hulu, LoveFirm UIs behave the same as their equivalent on PC ? If not, JavaScript + HTML5 may not be needed/used for these apps. Sony is supposed to have an easy-to-use, may be also web-based, authoring tool.

They do need to use the same server tech though.

From a post of mine in another forum:

Cite please. I can find no information that confirms my or your speculation. Vudu http://www.vudu.com/product_overview.html also uses the widevine player http://widevine.com/ and in the past it was a stand alone box but has now branched out to support select CE hardware.

There is a wider range of features in the Vudu box due to at least a partial HTML5 webkit support. The tools provided by HTTP/s routines and the H.264 API hook can be used to support Widevine using javascript. Or Widevine can be a native language application with those routines included or a native language application that calls those routines out of a webkit.

The use of javascript for the UI should be a no brainer as widevine is a "Thin" client application designed to support multiple hardware platforms with the SAME server. So some common language for the UI is needed; this can be provided by widevine or javascript can be used. With javascript support provided by the platform and the widevine player using javascript for the UI the widevine player app can be thinner. Using HTTP/s routines and the H.264 video codec in a new webkit can further reduce the size of the widevine player.

Netflix also supports Ultraviolet so that some other player app besides widevine can be used on another platform. The use of javascript as the UI language now becomes a no brainer doubly so since Netflix stated they were using HTML5 (javascript and API hooks for H.264). The javascript engine being provided by the platform from a webkit or Widevine is supporting javascript with it's own engine....for a thin client player that would be counter intuitive and a last resort. It would be easier to mimic javascript commands using another supported cross platform language like Java. (Yahoo javascript engine on Sony Blu-ray players & TVs runs under Java. I suspect Netflix support on those devices required widevine and widevine required javascript for the UI. In this case the Widevine player/DRM is most likely native language.)

Thin is better, there is also not having to write custom code for every platform when webkit supported platforms already support those routines.

The above is part of the reasoning for my speculation, another line of reasoning is related to the products that support widevine, the features supported in those platforms and Vudu documentation for features and platforms supported. Vudu uses open source SSL/TLS for security. Vuvu can use a webkit or provide the routines for Widevine if this is what widevine uses for DRM.

H.264 used for dynamic adaptive streaming http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/forums/jw-player/feature-suggestions/4220/adaptive-streaming-dynamic-bandwidth-adaptation

My read on your misunderstanding my reasoning about the use of javascript seems to be related to the new javascript APIs. Native language routines are provided for javascript to use; this reduces javascript limitations. There appears to be a push to support multi-platform javascript with faster engines and native language APIs. Web applications and cloud computing appear to be driving this. What javascript could do 9 months ago and what it can do today is vastly different because of webkit APIs.

http://4ipadnews.blogspot.com/2010/08/sonic-solutions-and-widevine-team-to.html

The Widevine platform is deployed by major Internet content services and large cable, satellite, and telecommunication companies launching over-the-top and TV Everywhere strategies. The company's software platform optimizes the entertainment experience for content delivered over any network to any device. The solution is natively supported in nearly all major brands and types of network-connected consumer electronics including televisions, Blu-ray players, mobile devices, gaming systems and more. The Widevine DRM player is provided in the native language for each platform.

It does not confirm PS3 using JavaScript widevine client because...

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/entertainment/42303-bigpond-tv-gets-a-quality-boost

Widevine claims that its software platform "optimises the entertainment experience for content delivered over any network to any device [and] is natively supported in nearly all major brands and types of network connected consumer electronics including televisions, Blu-ray players, mobile devices, gaming systems and more."

A "thin" client means most of the functions are done on the server.

I'm not saying PS3 definitely does not use WebKit or HTML or JavaScript. It's just that we are not quite sure what those non-game apps use.

Back