NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

Look at the reference results - 22% faster.

You can get a Gigabyte 7970 with 1100 MHz core for $450 btw (and 4 free games) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439

So now we're back to 20-25% faster for $200 more and what, 3 free games less (does it even come with Metro?).

The OCed 780s are the same price as the non-OCed ones (well - $10 difference). Honestly, you would be a bit of a chump to buy one of the non-OCed 780s right now. Hence, it is perfectly fair to compare to the OCed cards rather than the reference card. At the resolution he mentiones, you are looking at 1/.73 or a ~37% speed increase over a 7970 GHz edition.

The games are another argument. Personally, I have never previously and never will buy a video card for bundled games. In 2 years when the games have gotten bigger and better, that 37% increase seems a lot more impressive than a couple of free games.

However, I know many people who would be swayed by the free games. They don't buy a lot of computer games so $200 and 4 free games will last them for 2 years.

Just for complete disclosure - I am probably not the intended market for this card. I have a 570 that I've been wanting to upgrade, but spend most of my time doing compute now rather than gaming as I mentioned earlier in this thread. That compute is tied to CUDA because of work. So I waited for the 780 to see if it would be a cheaper card than the Titan that I could practice CUDA on at home. The FP performance difference is a pretty big deal for me. Makes it a tough decision.

You have to say Nvidia is playing a blinder though. $500 for the 680 which was 23% faster than the 580, then $650 for the 780 that is 27% faster than the 680 (going by techpowerup's totals). For less than one generations worth of progress they've manage to fleece their buyers twice in a year.

I honestly think NVidia is targeting a 2 year upgrade cycle for most buyers. Hence they are looking at people who buy this not upgrading until the theoretical "980". So they try to get ~50% faster every 2 years.

I think that works out for market share, because for about half of the cycle they are either on par or just below AMDs offering (ala 680 vs. 7970 from the 400/6000 series) and for the other half they have no competition (7970 vs. 780 from the 500/7800 series). I wonder if AMD couldn't gain a lot of market share if they could match the second half of that cycle - because they have had pretty solid offerings.

From AnandTech's review:
GTX 780 on the other hand is a pure gaming/consumer part like the rest of the GeForce lineup, meaning NVIDIA has stripped it of Titan’s marquee compute feature: uncapped double precision (FP64) performance.
Not unexpected if they still wanted to justify Titan existence, but this must this be a disappointment for some.

Some people are happy to wait 18 months for only 20% faster, so long as it has the Nvidia badge on it at the end.

And people wonder why AMD struggles to make money? It's this sort of behaviour that is the reason. Nothing you can do about it Dave.

Stop exaggerating like you have constantly done in this thread. 15 MONTHS ago, not 18, the 7970 VANILLA just came out, and gtx780 spanks a 7970 by much, much more than 20%. The 7970GE did not come out until June 22, 11 months ago.

If you're going to try to argue common sense, at least don't lie and/or exaggerate.

Stop exaggerating like you have constantly done in this thread. 15 MONTHS ago, not 18, the 7970 VANILLA just came out, and gtx780 spanks a 7970 by much, much more than 20%. The 7970GE did not come out until June 22, 11 months ago.

If you're going to try to argue common sense, at least don't lie and/or exaggerate.

Easy to forget, however it was 17 months ago for the vanilla and it's not like we already know that it couldn't be overclocked well past the 680 anyway.

So yeah ok, wait nearly a year for 20% more performance and pay an extra couple hundred bucks for an Nvidia sticker.

Lol save your hugs for next week when the nvidia-loving press surely welcomes the all-new killer GTX 770 at only a tiny bit slower than the 7970 GHz for the same bargain price 11 months later.

Looking at the reviews, there really is some variety again. Hexus only has it 5% faster than the 7970 GHz at 1600p. PC Perspective had it only 14% faster. Most are around the 22% mark though I believe.

What's worse is, Hexus lauds it as their favourite high end card while PC Perspective found it hard to make a case for buying it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy to forget, however it was 17 months ago for the vanilla and it's not like we already know that it couldn't be overclocked well past the 680 anyway.

So yeah ok, wait nearly a year for 20% more performance and pay an extra couple hundred bucks for an Nvidia sticker.

For the love of god quit comparing an overclocked card to a stock card. HEY GUESS WHAT GTX780 OVERCLOCKS TO BE 56.3459% faster than a 7970GEXTERE EDITION!!(*#&(@*JFW(OE*FJW*&R#WR$W#

/facepalm

Fore the sake of truth, 7970 GHz is not a ìn "overclocked" card, it has stock clocks higher than the original 7970, this is true, but it is fully cetified to work at those -stock-frequencies and can be overclocked as well (with quite an highroom ,according to overclockers' forums). The same way an Intel i3 3220 and i3 3240 are the same chip sold at two different frequencies.

Looking at the reviews, there really is some variety again. Hexus only has it 5% faster than the 7970 GHz at 1600p. PC Perspective had it only 14% faster. Most are around the 22% mark though I believe.

What's worse is, Hexus lauds it as their favourite high end card while PC Perspective found it hard to make a case for buying it :p
Well hardware.fr has it 7% (2560x1600) to 10% (1920x1080) faster. BUT just adding some additional fan increased this by an additional 5% (in both resolutions). Playing with power targets will also make some difference, so it's easy to see why results vary quite a bit (aside from the usual variance due to benchmark mix).

For the love of god quit comparing an overclocked card to a stock card. HEY GUESS WHAT GTX780 OVERCLOCKS TO BE 56.3459% faster than a 7970GEXTERE EDITION!!(*#&(@*JFW(OE*FJW*&R#WR$W#

/facepalm
I'll take a page out of Universal Truth's book: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4K? That wasn't your only deciding factor I assume? (i.e. GPU's have supported it for the past year and a half...).

Sorry Wavey, I can't use Radeons due to their lack-luster performance in my primary application, Microsoft Flight Sim X. After my recent experience with NV Surround though and the ridiculous requirement that all monitors share a sync polarity causing my setup not to function properly and essentially to have to abandon my 3 monitor solution, I'm seriously reconsidering going with a Radeon for the next upgrade.

I'm such a sucker... I guess my price threshold wasn't as high as I thought because I ordered an EVGA Superclocked 780 as soon as I found out it supports 4k. Time to water cool that bad boy and see how far I can push it :D

Color me jelly. What 4k display do you use?

It is, and it sucks. Also consider that the gtx780 is (as of right now) the second tier geforce SKU for GK110. The second tier GF100 and GF110 sku went for $350. I think Nvidia is missing a major opportunity to do some serious volume. If they would price the gtx770 at $399 and the gtx780 at $549-599 they'd move some serious product. Oh well. If Maxwell leads out with GM104, like GK104 did with Kepler, I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that $649+ isn't the new high otherwise my days as a pc gamer may be soon over.
$650 doesn't seem bad at all to me. I don't think it'd be terribly wrong of me to assume that 550mm2 of silicon on a 28nm process is more expensive than 550mm2 of silicon on a 40nm process. Wasn't Nvidia getting their hand held by TSMC back then as well?

I'm not too sure about the desktop market, but I know Nvidia isn't hurting for overall market share. They don't really need to move lots of units.

Color me jelly. What 4k display do you use?

I don't, not yet anyway. Otherwise I would've gotten a Titan 3 months ago and called it done. I'm not made of money. Most 4k TVs go for $15 grand and up. I'm looking at those super-cheap Chinese off-brand 4k TVs going for about $1300.

$650 doesn't seem bad at all to me. I don't think it'd be terribly wrong of me to assume that 550mm2 of silicon on a 28nm process is more expensive than 550mm2 of silicon on a 40nm process. Wasn't Nvidia getting their hand held by TSMC back then as well?

I'm not too sure about the desktop market, but I know Nvidia isn't hurting for overall market share. They don't really need to move lots of units.

This is true.

650$ is a joke - you get equal performance in the 7970GE for 40% less. And yet still people buy the NV cards - that is impossible to understand. (not talking about the awesome game bundle AMD gives you in addition)

Back