Sandy Bridge preview

A lot of people does video transcoding ;)
If talking absolute numbers, define "a lot" please... A van full of egg cartons may be a lot of eggs for one or even a couple families, but for a town, it's not a lot. For a city, it's not nearly enough... ;)

If talking percentages, no. There's NOT a lot of people doing video transcode. It really is a niche market.

RecessionCone said:
They didn't say the GPU supports OpenCL - they said SB supports OpenCL. I read that as meaning that Intel is going to provide a good x86 OpenCL runtime for the CPU part of SB. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Lightman said:
From what I've heard you're right.

I've heard some new rumors that the SB GPU will be OpenCL programmable. Although I'm not sure when the OpenCL runtime will be available. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Tridam stated in a hardware.fr report about IDF that the GPU will indeed support OpenGl3.1 as well as OpenCl (for Ms API directx 10.1 and direct compute 4.1

interestingly there are currently talks between Intel and the x264 devs (partly public on IRC) to add integration of SB encoding hardware. It seems to be really flexible and programmable, output is claimed to be nearly bit-exact.
Seems like encoding is not a a single big unit but done using various SBs hardware blocks operating to and from L3-cache, which means you can mix soft and hard-ware routines rather easily.

interestingly there are currently talks between Intel and the x264 devs (partly public on IRC) to add integration of SB encoding hardware. It seems to be really flexible and programmable, output is claimed to be nearly bit-exact.
Seems like encoding is not a a single big unit but done using various SBs hardware blocks operating to and from L3-cache, which means you can mix soft and hard-ware routines rather easily.
Link?

http://doom10.org/index.php?topic=717 (IRC log is linked in the thread)

In short Intel dint spit out interesting code or specifications yet, but there is a employee with a already working "sandybridge-enabled" x264 encoder and hes trying to push it into the public so it will get integrated into the codebase.

Faster almost across the board than the i875K and look at the system power figures - 70 Watt lower under load and 14 Watt lower when idling.

Impressive.

Back