Chances for Nvidia Chipset again?

Then again, VIA is public, isn't it? So a hostile takeover is possible, should it come to that.

I think it's too late anyway, but does NVIDIA really have a better choice?

you mean a takeover of Nvidia by VIA? VIA is part of the Formosa Plastics Group. They are quite big.

You are right. But from the few sources i read, all of them point to contract has no mention of FSB.
Of coz, they may be false.

I was about to mention ULi, which has some of the best SATA controller. The return of SoundStorm would be nice as well.

ULi (formerly ALI) did indeed make some very good ide/sata parts however as with nearly everything nV buys/topples, support ends almost immediately. I wouldn't expect any Soundstorm 2.0s, the original was largely Aureal (no absolved by Creative) and nV burned bridges when they refused to honor the contract work done by Aureal (and as some have argued that) and contributed to it's downfall. Honestly I can't think of much of any product that nV acquired and continued any support from 3Dfx to ULi.

The current chairperson of VIA is from the family of Wang. She is daughter of the founder of Formosa Plastic Corp. She is also the chairperson of HTC. From current public data, VIA's market cap is about 19.7 billion NTD, which is about 600 million USD, so it's definitely within reach of NVIDIA. It also has no special stocks. The problem is, since the chairperson of VIA is very rich, she is certainly able to prevent a hostile takeover.

I think he was just pointing that if one is able to overtake the other company, it's VIA buying nVidia, not the other way around

I was thinking that it didn't make sense that Via is owned by some plastics company! :D

I was thinking that it didn't make sense that Via is owned by some plastics company! :D

Why not. You know how much of computers are plastic. FPG is effectively a Taiwan version of LG/Samsung. Massive holding company that got its start in a field somewhat unrelated to its current field. They do everything from windows to microprocessors and literally everything in between. Oh, and they still make plastics too.

And yes, they really are that big. They are effectively one of the 50 biggest companies in Asia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not. You know how much of computers are plastic. FPG is effectively a Taiwan version of LG/Samsung. Massive holding company that got its start in a field somewhat unrelated to its current field. They do everything from windows to microprocessors and literally everything in between. Oh, and they still make plastics too.

And yes, they really are that big. They are effectively one of the 50 biggest companies in Asia.

So now we'll possibly see them buying Nvidia and not the other way around. Nvidias stock price has certainly not kept pace and I suspect a future with Via is brighter than a future without Via so they shouldn't have too much trouble convincing the stock holders.

They've come around when they absorbed ULi ... now "their" chipsets are rock solid and power efficient.

Personally, I want something new on the AMD side of things, with an updated IGP. Geforce 8200/8300 is a bit long in the tooth now.

I believe there was a GT21x or GT20x chipset in the rumours, but by then there was an expected GT212 and GT214 as well.
I wish geforce 8200 had more adoption as it would be enough already for a general purpose PC running ubuntu. I like my motherboards cheap, full ATX and with four memory slots. (well, full ATX is better for sticking in an old sound card, and a old 3Com ethernet board to replace nvidia ethernet :p )

I believe there was a GT21x or GT20x chipset in the rumours, but by then there was an expected GT212 and GT214 as well.
It's been shipping for a while as the GeForce 320M in the Mac Mini and Core2-based Macbook. It's based on the GT216 but in that config it's severely bandwidth constrained. No idea if there are any other major design wins - the reason why it's still not available in the channel must be that NVIDIA decided they'd better spend their 40nm capacity on the OEM wins and other products. Maybe we'll see it appear a tad more widely now that their revenues disappointed and they likely have a bit more flexibility with their 40nm allocation.

It's been shipping for a while as the GeForce 320M in the Mac Mini and Core2-based Macbook. It's based on the GT216 but in that config it's severely bandwidth constrained. No idea if there are any other major design wins - the reason why it's still not available in the channel must be that NVIDIA decided they'd better spend their 40nm capacity on the OEM wins and other products. Maybe we'll see it appear a tad more widely now that their revenues disappointed and they likely have a bit more flexibility with their 40nm allocation.

I thought the 320M was exclusively for apple? If im not mistaken i read it in one of the reviews of the 13inch Macbook Pro.

But even if it isnt, like the 9400M i dont expect it'll be too popular, especially when all laptops are moving towards Arrandale and then Sandy bridge in the future.

I wish geforce 8200 had more adoption as it would be enough already for a general purpose PC running ubuntu. I like my motherboards cheap, full ATX and with four memory slots. (well, full ATX is better for sticking in an old sound card, and a old 3Com ethernet board to replace nvidia ethernet :p )

May main TV PC game box is running on a GF8200 uATX mobo. 8800GTX, X-FI and Phenom II X4 inside. I bought it because I had already tried 780G and disliked the slow SATA and USB. I have had no issues with this NV chipset (unlike my NF4 experience). ASUS M3N78-VM.

I even tried using the 8200 IGP as a Physx processor but that is simply out of the thing's league by a long shot.

mine was a late nforce 5 mobo, a gigabyte one with nforce 520LE, really inexpensive.

well if I had the cash I would maybe buy a geforce 320M apple laptop, install ubuntu on it and dump OSX in the trash :), just because I can.

Running the M4N78Pro with a Phenom II X4 myself, and built similar systems with the same board for others. I don't think there's any need for running 3Com NICs on this chipset. It never let me down so far.
*knocks on wood*

I'm still so sore from my Xpress 220 experience back when, that I'd rather throw everything out and switch to Intel than rely on a Radeon IGP.

Running the M4N78Pro with a Phenom II X4 myself, and built similar systems with the same board for others. I don't think there's any need for running 3Com NICs on this chipset. It never let me down so far.
*knocks on wood*

I'm still so sore from my Xpress 220 experience back when, that I'd rather throw everything out and switch to Intel than rely on a Radeon IGP.

It has much improved since Xpress days (no mater Intel or AMD platform).
I'm happy user of M3A78-EM board which sits in my HTPC since last year. I've used both IGP only and discreet GPU in PCIe slot. Have Blu-ray recorder and Samsung 640GB HDD connected to SATA ports. SB700 southbridge is decet enough and first from AMD to give properly working AHCI and reasonably fast USB2.0.

In other worlds I'm very happy with this board. I had experienced wide spectrum of boards previously with both nForce chips as well as AMD ones. As a system builder I've had my share of problems from old Xpress boards, but some of them were decent. nForece, except for SATA bug which was quickly corrected, was always solid.

Now it's probably the other way around if you look at nVidia chips for Intel...
AMD new SB850 and RD890FX are almost faultless. In the end they are designed for SERVER use, only dumbed down for desktop so stability is top notch!

Oh yeah the 780G/SB700 worked pretty well overall for me. Stability was not a problem. I still have 3 of those boards around at work and one at home. I did notice that its USB speed is not as fast as Intel/NV and that SATA controller just doesn't feel as snappy. I'm very used to what my main box with P35/ICH9R can do. NV's GF8200 (nForce 7) is pretty fast too.

I read that SB850 still has subpar USB but the rest is better. How can a they get USB2.0 wrong over many generations? ;)
http://techreport.com/articles.x/18539/9

Back