Palit caught cheating with review samples

neliz

GIGABYTE Man
Veteran
http://www.guru3d.com/news/palit-geforce-gtx-460-sonic-could-have-issues-/

Guru3D: Okay, follow-up questions ..

1. Why then do we see huge complaints about noise levels and heat issues from end users ?
2. Why do you send vanilla samples to the press ?
3. Why do the samples send to press DO have VRM heatsinks and the customer versions not ?

Guys, whenever I post a review I expect to test the retail sample. Clearly the press samples differ from the retail samples, and that effects my objectivity and this websites reputation. This is a HUGE problem and is utterly shameful activity from Palits side.

I want to know what Palit is going to do for the end-users that received a different (cheaper) end-product. Because what happens here is unacceptable.

I hope some site will prepare some tests comparing review edition and castrated edition (esp. noise, OC and temperatures).

Now, if this turns out to be true and intent, then it's really not nice. Damaging not only Palit's reputation but everyone who tested one of their cards. But let's wait and see.

If Palit were cheating, then it would be wise of them to say it was just a mistake and that only a certain batch of cards were made like that. Then offer to repair/trade in the existing cards for ones similar to what was used in the reviews.

Regards,
SB

If Palit were cheating, then it would be wise of them to say it was just a mistake and that only a certain batch of cards were made like that. Then offer to repair/trade in the existing cards for ones similar to what was used in the reviews.

Regards,
SB

How could they do that if the aim is to make the reviewers say the cards are better/quieter than they are, and then palm off the cheaper cards without the extra heatsinks to the public?

All they've done is said "Oh, don't worry about the missing heatsink, you won't miss it - we run a couple of hours of a five year old benchmark on it, so it's okay".

Also there are no tooth fairies, only tired Dads.
Being one I already knew that. :p

What I can't believe is just how cheap the bottom line is at some of these companies. How much do you think they saved per card not putting cooling on the VRAM? A quarter, if that? :???:

Being one I already knew that. :p

What I can't believe is just how cheap the bottom line is at some of these companies. How much do you think they saved per card not putting cooling on the VRAM? A quarter, if that? :???:

It all adds up, which in itself would not be a problem if that was the product they sell to customers. Then customers get to make an informed decision on whether they want to buy the product or not.

The dishonesty only comes in where Palit have been sending superior products to reviewers for good reviews, and then shipping cheaper products out to customers. It's very nearly a bait and switch IMO, especially if the noise and power levels are different as the fan has to work harder to cool the non-heatsinked VRMs.

Hmm, the plot thickens. According to the Newegg review the "non platinum" version comes with a standard aluminum heatsink with no heatpipes!!! This is really pathetic :devilish:

Hmm, the plot thickens. According to the Newegg review the "non platinum" version comes with a standard aluminum heatsink with no heatpipes!!! This is really pathetic :devilish:

Well, it's a different version - also in naming - so that makes it kind of legal, albeit not very nice, to trim it down.

It's a bit underhanded since the price for the Palit is the same as the reference design cards but it has a really pathetic heatsink. Why would anyone pay the same for an inferior card?

Back