Crazy match going on in Wimbledon 2010

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
between a French and an American player. Tied at 59-59 in fifth set till it was called off due to bad light last evening.

:LOL::LOL:

between a French and an American player. Tied at 59-59 in fifth set till it was called off due to bad light last evening.

:LOL::LOL:

They played for over 6 hours, in the 5th set alone. They played the 1st through 4th sets the previous day which was also called on account of darkness.

The previous record for a tennis match was 112 total games. They've played more than that in the 5th set alone are currently at 163 games played, with at least 2 more to come. Alas their play isn't terribly inspired, a long rally for them is about 5 shots with nearly 200 aces between them.

I find it even crazier because they're essentially nobodies who will without a doubt be knocked out in the next round anyways.

Yeah, I heard about this on the radio tonight. What a fantastic story! Glad I'm not in charge of the schedule at Wimbledon, though. This must be messing everything up!

They played for over 6 hours, in the 5th set alone. They played the 1st through 4th sets the previous day which was also called on account of darkness.

The previous record for a tennis match was 112 total games. They've played more than that in the 5th set alone are currently at 163 games played, with at least 2 more to come. Alas their play isn't terribly inspired, a long rally for them is about 5 shots with nearly 200 aces between them.

I think that's coz they have become quite tired. A set of attrition, if you will.

Yeah, I heard about this on the radio tonight. What a fantastic story! Glad I'm not in charge of the schedule at Wimbledon, though. This must be messing everything up!
In England, they're used to games that take an unpredictable amount of time. It's only if they want to be aired in the US that strict time limits (minimum as well as maximum) come into play.

On an interesting note Isner will now play De Bakker who won his match in a relatively swift 16-14 in the 5th set.

Read Mahut 's route to that match :)
Mahut was then forced to enter qualifying for Wimbledon, where he was allocated a seeding of 27. He enjoyed a routine win over Canadian Frank Dancevic of in his first match, before coming up against home-hope Alex Bogdanovic in the second. After a four-hour epic, by far the most extraordinary match of the round, Mahut finally prevailed 3-6 6-3 24-22 to advance to the final qualifying round, where he played 13th seed Stefan Koubek. Things looked grim for Mahut after he lost the first two sets but he battled back to win another lengthy match 6-7 3-6 6-3 6-4 6-4. This win saw him enter the main draw of Wimbledon 2010, where he was drawn against the big-serving American John Isner in Round One. The match began on June 22 and ended on June 24 after approximately 11 hours on court, with Isner winning 70-68 in the fifth set.

At least the american play is/was well known for his serving while in college. He's friggin 6'7", that's a LOT of leverage on a serve.

I was lucky enough to be able to watch most of this game. A real testament to the human spirit. Definitely got me fired up for training after being ill most of this week.

The wierd thing about the match was that although essentially the same thing was happening over and again, it rarely lost it's pull. An awesome spectacle.

The american is suppose to have a very very good serve with lots of speed and angles, he's insanely tall for a tennis players at 6'7".
hes even taller than that
article-1277397806388-0A2F5E30000005DC-836286_636x395.jpg

Nicolas Mahut is 1.90m + he towers above him @ 2.06m
terrible how with tennis (+ a lot of sports) body size is so important (edit - wow very strange shot isners head looks very small)
And just after this match, Mahut went for a double that was stopped after the first set due to the night.
Hes the energizer bunny, as I said above heres what he played to actually qualify for wimbledon (isner automatically qualified) thus he was prolly wasnt 100% before he started that epic match
3-6 6-3 24-22
6-7 3-6 6-3 6-4 6-4

Isner managed the shortest mens singles match today at an 1h 14 m, losing 0 2 3. He had 0 aces and apparently nothing left in the tank.

Back