5.1 surround broke itself

Today I finally got my replacement psu after my old one went up in smoke quite literally last Saterday. All is well except my 5.1 sound broke. I use my onboard sound which should be 7.1 or something. Anyway it's a ALC882M realtek chip.

I got a green (center and sub I suppose), orange (front) and black (rear/side?) connector. I put them in the correct holes but it's impossible to get the correct sound out of the correct speaker in the setup screen.

Basically if I select the green input to be center, it wont play any sound. I need to select it as front. But I also need to select the orange one as front. So basically I got 3 fronts (and a sub) setup as front if I want sound. Obviously that is incorrect as one of them should act as center/sub but as soon as you do that it breaks down. The black connector isnt a problem. If I select them to be rear or side, it works fine.

Another weird thing is that if I select green to be center/sub it plays correct on the speaker config screen but no other sound will play. No music for example. I dont understand that as mp3 should always use the center anyway. It works if I turn on the dolby option to always send music to all speakers but it should also work without. Doing this btw means its impossible to get sound out of the orange connected speakers.

Now last time I got this to work I also remember spending hours on this because it's just a useless piece of shit with a mind of its own but I got it working.

Does anybody have any clue as what I could try to make things right again? I already tried a reinstall of the drivers but that didn't help.

green should be front shouldnt it ?
this is the usual standard for 5.1 (apart from the firewire)

Edit: more relevant pic

Do you have the jacks set to auto-sensing, or does it even have that option? I've had similar problems before and I sympathize with your current headache. :???:

Haha still alive ;) I had a few of my Japanese exams today so I just didn't get around to trying it out yet. Maybe I'll check it out later today if I make some good progress on my oral exam studies.

I got it! I had one of those few moments where you have a stroke of genious. I was looking at the center speaker and noticed it had a button called matrix on it. I pressed it and guess what?.... sound. Like it should be. Apperantly matrix is a other word for ''making shit works like it is supposed to''.

Oh and b3d should support the [ s ] tag so you can cross out what you previously said.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's [noparse][strike][/strike][/noparse] here.

Back