Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

The world of WH40k is awesome, and space marines are also awesome. :D This has the potential to be a great action game, which at the same time could span an epic storyline. WH40k is all about the struggle of a few brave against hordes of heretics/infidels/deviants/savages/mutants/aliens/demons/etc, with the threat of corruption from within looming like a constant shadow over everything. It's got great potential, let's hope they don't eff it up...

Oh snap. And I just ordered 12 of the Horus Heresy novels.... and of course I've gone through all the omnibus collections so far (Blood Angels, Grey Knights, Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Ultramarines, Space Wolves 1&2, Inquisition War, Soul Drinkers.............). Argh..... so much material to catch up. And then there's the Chaos book (liber chaotica).

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ Do want co-op.

edit: Truth be told, I enjoyed the inquisition-focused stories the most. Grey Knights after. Soul drinkers third. Currently waiting for the next couple omnibi to be put together :p I know... 2-3 more novels in the Soul Drinkers, Blood Angels, and Ultramarines novels....

Definitely appreciate the Chaos novels with the Night Lords or Iron Warriors (Hansou!). Still gotta pick up the three novels on the Word Bearers.

--------------------------------------------

I had a Chaos Space Marine army awhile back. Shitty painter, but it was fun. :) I played maybe two matches :p I think I was just more interested in the Codex stories, and I've only recently (last 2 years) been trying to get ahold of the story/novel books.

Not so much into the models stuff, but after playing Warhammer40k Dawn of war i started reading the lore wiki and the universe is big as hell and interesting!!

Been tracking this for well over a year now. It appears to use a modified DOW II engine optimized for single player (1 person instead of a squad) and a closer 3rd person view.

So in theory, there should at the least be. Very nice particle effects. Destructable cover. Destructable buildings. Fair amount of units on screen.

They'll probably have to do something about the particle effects as there is a TON of overdraw on the PC from massive explosions. Enough to cripple the PS3 and possibly even the 360.

Still sad it's not going to PC. :(

Regards,
SB

Hve we heard anything about this game at all recently as i'm so excited for a current-gen Warhammer 40K game and quite frankly i think it's crimnal that we haven't had many at any at all yet recently on any platform outside of PC.

I loved DOW1 and enjoyed DOWII (although i prefered the building and micromanagment to the focus on roleplaying a squad in DOWII).

I'm a huge WH40K fan(/geek)... i grew up collecting and painting a Blood Angels army (my models were pretty darn good too) and i just started following the expanded universe lore in the past couple of years.

I've read every Horus Heresy novel released to date (sooooooo awesome!!!), have the announced ones on pre-order and i just finished the Blood Angels Omnibus this morning.

The universe is incredible and i love the way that the story places humanity in the grand scheme of things. The space marines are f@*k awesome and even though this game has been announced to be about an Ultramarine/Orc campaign i'm still pretty pumped (not keen on the Orcs).

Frankly i'm just a bit tired of video games developers getting rich off ripping off Warhammer and Warhammer 40k (not mentioning any names... *cough* Bilzzard *cough*)... So i just want to start seeing some more videogames with current gen graphics and production values bring a WH40k story to life :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKh26mfZQZA

I would describe this as Gears/God of War. Looks like it might be pretty good. Relic has been making quality games, but can they do an action game?

To me the guy looks like Darksiders met a shooter :cool: ! Trailer is really cool.

The game is called : Space Marine - Ouch ! They just proclaimed the obvious :LOL: ! Everything will depend on the gameplay. The look is fun, the universe seems interesting, meshing marines with Orcs, the name is brash, if the gameplay turns out fun, this could be a great mix ;) ! Will keep an eye out for this !!!!

To me the guy looks like Darksiders met a shooter :cool: ! Trailer is really cool.

The game is called : Space Marine - Ouch ! They just proclaimed the obvious :LOL: ! Everything will depend on the gameplay. The look is fun, the universe seems interesting, meshing marines with Orcs, the name is brash, if the gameplay turns out fun, this could be a great mix ;) ! Will keep an eye out for this !!!!

Warhammer 40K has been around since the late 80s. The Warhammer Space Marine is the inspiration for all of the video game knockoffs we've seen over the years. It might seem somewhat generic, because it's been copied a billion times, but this is the orginal Space Marine franchise. I never really got into the miniature games, but when I was younger I loved the artwork and designs in the 40K rulebooks. Warhammer FRP had some great artwork as well.

Hve we heard anything about this game at all recently as i'm so excited for a current-gen Warhammer 40K game and quite frankly i think it's crimnal that we haven't had many at any at all yet recently on any platform outside of PC.

I loved DOW1 and enjoyed DOWII (although i prefered the building and micromanagment to the focus on roleplaying a squad in DOWII).

I'm a huge WH40K fan(/geek)... i grew up collecting and painting a Blood Angels army (my models were pretty darn good too) and i just started following the expanded universe lore in the past couple of years.

I've read every Horus Heresy novel released to date (sooooooo awesome!!!), have the announced ones on pre-order and i just finished the Blood Angels Omnibus this morning.

The universe is incredible and i love the way that the story places humanity in the grand scheme of things. The space marines are f@*k awesome and even though this game has been announced to be about an Ultramarine/Orc campaign i'm still pretty pumped (not keen on the Orcs).

Frankly i'm just a bit tired of video games developers getting rich off ripping off Warhammer and Warhammer 40k (not mentioning any names... *cough* Bilzzard *cough*)... So i just want to start seeing some more videogames with current gen graphics and production values bring a WH40k story to life :D

From what's been shown so far, gameplay appears to be based off The Last Stand multiplayer mode in DOW II. It'll probably have a closer 3rd person or over the shoulder camera. Probably feature RPG-lite level up elements. Probably have loot drops similar to DOW II.

But all that is pure guesswork. Whatever it is, I'll probably pre-order as soon as it's available to pre-order. :D Hell, I even bought W40k - Fire Warrior. :p

Regards,
SB

From what's been shown so far, gameplay appears to be based off The Last Stand multiplayer mode in DOW II. It'll probably have a closer 3rd person or over the shoulder camera. Probably feature RPG-lite level up elements. Probably have loot drops similar to DOW II.

But all that is pure guesswork. Whatever it is, I'll probably pre-order as soon as it's available to pre-order. :D Hell, I even bought W40k - Fire Warrior. :p

Regards,
SB

Hi FIVE!!!!! :D

We must be the only two people in the world ;-)

If this is Gears of War + hack'n slash + rpg stats + loot drops + replayable levels/dungeons, then this potentially may be the greatest game ever made.

Warhammer 40K has been around since the late 80s. The Warhammer Space Marine is the inspiration for all of the video game knockoffs we've seen over the years. It might seem somewhat generic, because it's been copied a billion times, but this is the orginal Space Marine franchise. I never really got into the miniature games, but when I was younger I loved the artwork and designs in the 40K rulebooks. Warhammer FRP had some great artwork as well.

The Mobile Infantry in Heinlein's Starship Troopers are the original Space Marines and had the first really conceived exoskeletal/power/whatever suits.

If this is Gears of War + hack'n slash + rpg stats + loot drops + replayable levels/dungeons, then this potentially may be the greatest game ever made.

No campaign co-op :( Wonder what multiplayer options will be there though. If there's a horde-ish mode with RPG-like upgrading then... swell!

No campaign co-op :( Wonder what multiplayer options will be there though. If there's a horde-ish mode with RPG-like upgrading then... swell!

Lack of campaign co-op kind of sucks, but if there is some kind of cool cooperative multiplayer, then that makes things better.

The Mobile Infantry in Heinlein's Starship Troopers are the original Space Marines and had the first really conceived exoskeletal/power/whatever suits.

This is true, but the look and art style of the space marine as its seen in videogames seems to come from Warhammer 40K, as far as I can tell.

While there is a superficial similarity, they couldn't be any more different. The suits in Starship Troopers are designed specifically to allow the soldier to do things impossible for a normal human.

The suits for Space Marines are designed almost solely with regards to protecting the Space Marines which were human only in origin and superficial looks. They were radically genetically altered, with different internal organs, different skeletal structure, altered enhanced and modified musculature, etc...

In other words, Starship Troopers armor = powered mobile suits which enhanced the user.

Armor for Space Marines was closer to medieval plate mail in that it basically just protects the user, granting no superhuman abilities above and beyond those already possessed. Thus Platemail would be a more apt description of the origin of Space Marine armor. :) Now Terminator armor on the other hand. That could potentially trace it's roots back to Starship Troopers armor. :) But again only superficially, as it still mostly was about even more protection for the wearer, but in so doing became so heavy that even genetically altered Space Marines required some help in making it move. Being so heavy however, also meant they were slow and cumbersome (compared to standard armor), and if it's going to be slow and cumbersome why not mount extra heavy weapons? :)

And Wolverine of X-men fame would be more of an original Space Marine than the humans in Starship Troopers. :)

That would be a shame and a surprise, considering Relic introduced co-op missions for DoW with DoW II. Is that something confirmed or just rumored?

Regards,
SB

That would be a shame and a surprise, considering Relic introduced co-op missions for DoW with DoW II. Is that something confirmed or just rumored?

I can't recall which vid/interview specifically, but it was something stated awhile back for the campaign.

They haven't said a word about multiplayer support though, so I'm guessing that's where we'll see something along the lines of a horde co-op. Also when they added the Skirmish mode to DoWII/Chaos Rising, I'm guessing that was a testing ground of sorts.

Back