[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's pretty obvious that a professional game artist is going to have a very particular opinion of a game's look that the average gamer might not agree with. I haven't played the demo yet, so my opinion is somewhat reserved, but from screenshots I wouldn't say this game looks to be a standout relative to the other PS3 exclusives. The explanations of lack of HDR have put a voice to some of the things I didn't like about the images, that I couldn't verbalize on my own.

On this forum, you've got to accept that people of the professional mindset are going to "nitpick" (things that may not be so small, trivial, to them), not because of fanboyism or anything like that, but because they're looking at the game from another perspective. Talking about the negatives is just as valid as talking about the positives.

I think it's pretty obvious that a professional game artist is going to have a very particular opinion of a game's look that the average gamer might not agree with. I haven't played the demo yet, so my opinion is somewhat reserved, but from screenshots I wouldn't say this game looks to be a standout relative to the other PS3 exclusives. The explanations of lack of HDR have put a voice to some of the things I didn't like about the images, that I couldn't verbalize on my own.

On this forum, you've got to accept that people of the professional mindset are going to "nitpick" (things that may not be so small, trivial, to them), not because of fanboyism or anything like that, but because they're looking at the game from another perspective. Talking about the negatives is just as valid as talking about the positives.

I think the reason why the game not use the HDR could be for the massive use of low buffer & high contrast moments, compared to the previous game. In the game where there are a lot of moments with explosions, flames & smoke, the HDR break the msaa trick & could become a complete mess of jaggies & pixels...

Man, digging the art direction, it's just great :D
KZ3-002.jpg

I agree, but while someone nitpicks on something he should also recognize the trade offs and where the resources have shifted. Its not just black.

It seems a number of you aren't understanding that we're talking about how LDR is limiting what the image could potentially be. It's just a waste. Making this argument personal is silly. Sure it's nice that "the masses" can just accept that it looks fine, but we do have folks here on B3D that know a bit more. Are their opinions now just invalid even when presenting their reasons? Come on folks, this is childish.

I think the problem is math and numbers are rather poor tools to convey the difference here. If the HDR and non-HDR images/videos can be compared side by side, people would be able to see the difference better. The other thing is HDR is only one aspect. If the devs can do other parts well, then people may still like the outcome.

EDIT:

Yap ! but it would be more interesting to show AI/bots fighting in that space.

Reminds me of the KZ2 warehouse level.

I think the reason why the game not use the HDR could be for the massive use of low buffer & high contrast moments, compared to the previous game. In the game where there are a lot of moments with explosions, flames & smoke, the HDR break the msaa trick & could become a complete mess of jaggies & pixels...
They use MLAA on kz3 so the problem could have been avoided.

Most likely they didn't want to shuffle their g-buffer, as they did have specular intensity on light accumulation buffers alpha channel.
Hopefully they will release papers on their KZ3 pipeline sometime this year.

The overbright HDR scene lighting gets tonemapped, i.e. compressed into an 8-bit range.

And obviously light can't appear brighter on your display than the display allows, duh.

You just didn't understand what i said.
To tonemap you have to mesure exposition.To reproduce eyes behavior ,you'd have to handle exposition better than the high-ends cameras sensors hardware an software.This is way too much image processing and analysis to do in real time.

I've bumped into some infos on the story behind why killzone 2 dropped HDR, now not sure how reliable this is or if anyone else have heard of it.
According to Guerilla, KZ2 doesn't do HDR because their artists wanted direct control over exposure and lighting, rather than relying on auto-exposure mechanisms. It was in a GDC presentation from a few years ago.
It's taken from a Mod in gamespot forum.

I've bumped into some infos on the story behind why killzone 2 dropped HDR, now not sure how reliable this is or if anyone else have heard of it.
It's taken from a Mod in gamespot forum.

But that is far more useful for a technical discussion about the methodology behind the design than just pointing out what's missing without reasoning why.

I agree, but while someone nitpicks on something he should also recognize the trade offs and where the resources have shifted. Its not just black.

Or it would seem that when a PS3 game is analyzed and negative points are mentioned, a group of individuals come from nowhere to defend their system of choice due to pride or hurt feelings. Not sure which.

It seems like when the words "Ps3", "can't", or "bad" are put in the same sentences when discussing an exclusive, people try to spin or debate said comments.

Or it would seem that when a PS3 game is analyzed and negative points are mentioned, a group of individuals come from nowhere to defend their system of choice due to pride or hurt feelings. Not sure which.

It seems like when the words "Ps3", "can't", or "bad" are put in the same sentences when discussing an exclusive, people try to spin or debate said comments.

How someone has just said, yeah the problem is ever in a part :???: The same things happen to the 360 game... there are people who seen exceptional everything works in the microsoft console & suddenly become more critical on the ps3 game... but it isn't the point of the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back