Bout Time For A New Sega Console?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linthat22

Regular
Lets see, the Wii brought about the waggle technology, PS3 is bringing there own motion controller, and now Microsoft is bringing their version of motion control to the 360.

Wouldn't it be nice if Sega seized upon the moment to come out with a console that you didn't have to "work" at playing a game?

I was happy with my Wii, but got tired of the graphics and motion control and sold it. I have a PS3 and you don't know how much it irritates me to rotate, tilt, shake, and god knows what else my controller for places in games.

So far the 360 doesn't games don't have to worry about this till natal comes out.

So why not have Sega come out and actually bring a console. A true console? Games, console, and controller. No motion control, no jumping around, no throwing your controller around to turn a wheel, just a simple control scheme.

I know, wishful thinking, but still.......when will this motion crap end? I mean what's next, bringing back FMV as sell it as the new reality video games?

I beg to disagree.

Sega clearly is getting ready to return to the console market. As evidence, I present
Super Dimensional Game Neptune, published by Sega itself. In this game you play as the heroine 'Neptune', an avatar of a once and future Sega console. Your counterparts are clearly the 360, the Wii and the PS3.

Clearly this is prelude to a future hardware launch. Dare I say... 10/10/10?

If sega was going to do something it would have been with 3D tech but i think its to late. They'd have to have support and put it out this year to do anything.

Mabye a neogeo type console. 3D support with a very fast gpu and cpu and 2 gigs of ram. Give a premium experiance over Sony/ MS with 3D.

Nobody will buy it because Sony will announce the PS4 around the time the new Dreamcast2 is launched. ;)

You don't HAVE to do waggle games even on the Wii, what could possibly be the benefit of trying to carve out a market for your own custom hardware platform at this late stage? :oops:

This is the maddest idea I've heard since that other sega nut whatsisname was banned from the forum... :LOL:

I beg to disagree.

Sega clearly is getting ready to return to the console market. As evidence, I present
Super Dimensional Game Neptune, published by Sega itself. In this game you play as the heroine 'Neptune', an avatar of a once and future Sega console. Your counterparts are clearly the 360, the Wii and the PS3.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I beg to disagree.

Here are the specs of the next Sega console from that site:

Processor: 6th Generation Multi-biochip Processor rated @ 512.16THz
CPU-dependent Memory: 6th Generation Neuronal Memory (120gn)
RAM: 8TBx16
GPU: SFHD-X7250
HDD: 8PBx4
Media Drive: 4x Purple-Ray Disc
Power: Self-generating unit (lifespan: 50 years)
Outputs: Various audio, visual and signal types are supported
Accessories: Brain-wave Controller x1, Socket x1
Additional Accessories Available for Purchase: 'Multi-tap' Socket

:)

Consoles have been relatively boring since Sega stopped coming up with ideas for everyone else to copy.

I hope Sega do a Sonic party game for Natal, where you have to run on the spot to complete a variety of mini games. They could make the game appeal to a family audience by calling it "Sonic and ur dad at the sporting eventz". And they could ship it with a free handheld Master System with 3 built in games including Alex Kidd and Altered Beast.

Consoles have been relatively boring since Sega stopped coming up with ideas for everyone else to copy.
What ideas of Sega's did Nintendo copy back in the 80s and 90s, if I may ask?

NES - pioneered the rebirth of consoles after Atari wrecked the market. Unique controller design, COPIED BY EVERYONE SINCE.

SNES - huge advances in graphics, high-performance DSP-driven multichannel digital sound and player interface/ergonomics - 4 face buttons, shoulder buttons (copied by everyone since). Assist chips in cartridges.

N64 - analog stick as standard, controller rumble (all copied by everyone since).

What ideas of Sega's did Nintendo copy back in the 80s and 90s, if I may ask?

NES - pioneered the rebirth of consoles after Atari wrecked the market. Unique controller design, COPIED BY EVERYONE SINCE.

SNES - huge advances in graphics, high-performance DSP-driven multichannel digital sound and player interface/ergonomics - 4 face buttons, shoulder buttons (copied by everyone since). Assist chips in cartridges.

N64 - analog stick as standard, controller rumble (all copied by everyone since).

Some of Sega's more memorable inventions / things they pioneered / things they tried / things:

Analogue thumbstick
Analogue triggers
3D shutter glasses
SRAM built into consoles
Real time system clock
Console<->Handheld connectivity
Console webcam (they demoed "Eyetoy" style games, but these were canned along with the DC)
Pal optimised console games
60hz modes for PAL consoles
"Virtual console"
"Online" console

And all the minor stuff like:
D-pads that aren't crap!
Pro scan console
Mushroom shaped add-ons
Lightguns with Dpads on
Motion controllers that were fun to use
Having the 'A' and 'B' buttons the right way round
Download content for retail games
Internet unlockable content that's actually already on the disk when you buy it

So anyway, quite a bit of stuff that Nintendo (and everyone else) lifted. Fair play to Nintendo on the Dpad and shoulder buttons though. And rumble. Sega had been using it in the arcades for over a decade, you have to wonder why they never bothered to bring it home. No respect to Nintendo for the NES Power Glove though. No-one should ever give any respect to the NES Power Glove.

In Europe the Master System was bigger than the NES, in addition to us having popular gaming computers like the Spectrum and Amiga - so we never really had that thing about feeling Nintendo saved the video games industry.

Sega tried loads and loads of stuff; they put their money where their mouth is right up until the point where they ran out of money. Not everything worked out (at least not for them) but at least they gave it a go. Too bad the VR headset for the Megadrive and the tilt pad for Saturn Nights 2 got canned or else they'd have literally tried everything short of not destroying the company.

Where the hell is my VR headset add-on Sony/MS/Nintendo??

Master system bigger than the NES in Europe? than how come I never met anyone who had a master system and tons of people who had a NES? I bet most people dont even know what a master system is while just about about anybody up to 25 - 30 or so knows the NES.

Master system bigger than the NES in Europe? than how come I never met anyone who had a master system and tons of people who had a NES? I bet most people dont even know what a master system is while just about about anybody up to 25 - 30 or so knows the NES.

Not sure if bigger, but on the same scale. Nintendo didn't even sell the NES in all the regions SEGA did.

Master system bigger than the NES in Europe? than how come I never met anyone who had a master system and tons of people who had a NES?

You probably don't know anyone who is a CORE GAMER. I knew this kid at school that came in to school with his Sega Master System 3D glasses and actually sat there in class with his Sega Master System 3D glasses on. Until the teacher told him to take them off. There wasn't even a TV in the room. That's how core he was.

I never saw anyone come into class with a NES Power Glove On. If NES was more popular than Master System how come I never saw anyone come into class with a NES Power Glove on?

According to VGChartz (lol etc) Nintendo shipped less than 8.56m NES' outside of Japan and the Americas. No idea what the MS sold in Europe, but it was (supposedly) 13 million worldwide, and seeing how it sold 3 in the US and -8 in Japan, it was at the very least least highly competitive with the NES in Europe. By 1990 Sega were switching focus to the MD anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back