[PS3]Move:Start the Party

eloic

Veteran
Hello to everybody.

Move Party will use the PlayStation Eye in a similar way to the EyeToy: Play series, capturing our body image in real time. Moreover, the player must use the Move controller to interact with the mini-game elements.

Here we may post all the information, comments and questions we have regarding Move Party games (because I think that is highly likely that it will become a game series, rather than a single game).

I will start up by posting these videos (from the GDC this year):

It looks quite funny but, will it end up being a similar experience as EyeToy: Play, where the fun ended as soon as you played the minigames just a few times? I hope not.

Looking forward to the next E3 to post more materials.

:)

Yap, looks fun. Will get it but I much prefer something like WiiSports Resort activities, especially the table tennis game. It's easy to pick up, relevant to real life and involves some skills and tactics. I replayed it many times while in Fry's. That's the kind of "depth" I am looking for in a casual game.

The game was amazing in tracking my subtle and sudden wrist movement.

Yap, looks fun. Will get it but I much prefer something like WiiSports Resort activities, especially the table tennis game. It's easy to pick up, relevant to real life and involves some skills and tactics. I replayed it many times while in Fry's. That's the kind of "depth" I am looking for in a casual game.

The game was amazing in tracking my subtle and sudden wrist movement.

Then I think that Sports Champions will offer the similar experience that you want.

Have you tried EyeToy: Play games? What do you think about them?

I saw a table tennis Move game/demo. Is it in Sports Championship ?

I tried EyeToy: Play very briefly at a friend's place. My impression is that they are filler games. Good for party but I don't think people will fire up their PS3 just to play these mini-games day after day, week after week.

I play PSEye: Creature Feature a lot with my son just to train his moto skills.

I saw a table tennis Move game/demo. Is it in Sports Championship ?
Yes, it is. Watch this video:

I tried EyeToy: Play very briefly at a friend's place. My impression is that they are filler games. Good for party but I don't think people will fire up their PS3 just to play these mini-games day after day, week after week.
Maybe games like EyeToy: Kinetic and EyeToy: Kinetic Combat are more likely to be played on a regular basis, especially if you like sports and physical training. I wish I could play them...

I play PSEye: Creature Feature a lot with my son just to train his moto skills.
But, isn't that software only to edit video? Can you explain how you use it like that?

---

Just to keep this more on-topic, I post this other video:

It doesn't look as positive as the GDC or Seattle Meetup videos, because of the video itself and the comments, but I don't see it that horrible, though. People like drama...

I don't agree with something in gamervision's description: "The best thing Move Party can strive to be is Sony's Wii Sports". Wii Sports equivalent would be Sports Champions, hands down. Move Party is a clear heir to the EyeToy: Play series.

By the way, once Move Party is released, will Sony forget EyeToy: Play games? I still would like a game where you play without a controller.

YBut, isn't that software only to edit video? Can you explain how you use it like that?

No, that's Create. The game patsu is talking about is actually one of the better PS Eye games currently available:

By the way, once Move Party is released, will Sony forget EyeToy: Play games? I still would like a game where you play without a controller.

Well, if you haven't played Op Creature Feature yet, you can go and play that right now. ;)

No, that's Create. The game patsu is talking about is actually one of the better PS Eye games currently available:
What a stupid misreadING! :p I didn't know a thing about this game, though.

Thank you for the video, it looks nice (except for the "yo" attitude of the player :rolleyes:).

Well, if you haven't played Op Creature Feature yet, you can go and play that right now. ;)

I can't. :( I only own a PSX, so no PS2 nor PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is. Watch this video:

Cool, I'll keep a lookout for it !

Maybe games like EyeToy: Kinetic and EyeToy: Kinetic Combat are more likely to be played on a regular basis, especially if you like sports and physical training. I wish I could play them...

For my family to play them regularly, they will need to add long term skill/status/level advancement. If you have a kid, you'd notice that they like to stack their scores/collection/skills/whatever across sessions. They feel happy about gathering something.

If it's all one-off mini-games, it would be less interesting to the kid. I would go for MAG instead. ^_^
My wife wouldn't even bother.

Actually, I may have phrased it incorrectly. I am not asking for controller-free gaming specifically. I am hoping Sony learn how to maximize their assets. They have already done some amazing work, including controller-free innovations, but Sony don't seem to capitalize on these output.

eloyc said:
Actually, I may have phrased it incorrectly. I am not asking for controller-free gaming specifically. I am hoping Sony learn how to maximize their assets. They have already done some amazing work, including controller-free innovations, but Sony don't seem to capitalize on these output.

No, it's fine, I understood.

I was only wondering if that will happen, because I would like to play some games without a controller, too (like the example posted by Arwin, above).

No, it's fine, I understood.

I was only wondering if that will happen, because I would like to play some games without a controller, too (like the example posted by Arwin, above).

You can already do that with PSEye games today.

IMHO, Eye of Judgment is probably the best natural interface games although it uses cards as props. The combat is surprisingly addictive and the AI is mean. I remember I had a 6 hour battle overnight in a friend's place. It was supposed to be a demo to him, but then it got personal (vs the PS3). ^_^

Creature Feature is pretty fun too ! But my kid has outgrown it.

I was looking forward to play the tank game, but apparently EyePet doesn't have it.

EDIT:
For SIXAXIS motion games, I highly recommend Flower and Folklore. The latter is a little old school but the motion gaming part is awesome !

You can already do that with PSEye games today.

IMHO, Eye of Judgment is probably the best natural interface games although it uses cards as props. The combat is surprisingly addictive and the AI is mean. I remember I had a 6 hour battle overnight in a friend's place. It was supposed to be a demo to him, but then it got personal (vs the PS3). ^_^

Creature Feature is pretty fun too ! But my kid has outgrown it.

I was looking forward to play the tank game, but apparently EyePet doesn't have it.

EDIT:
For SIXAXIS motion games, I highly recommend Flower and Folklore. The latter is a little old school but the motion gaming part is awesome !

Thank you for the info. I don't like games with fantasy stuff, so I think that I can skip Eye of Judgement and Folklore, but I think Flower is fantastic! I've read tons of articles about it, and seen lots of videos. If I ever have a PS3, I would definitely like to purchase this game.

Lair anyone? Joking. :p

Thank you for the info. I don't like games with fantasy stuff, so I think that I can skip Eye of Judgement and Folklore, but I think Flower is fantastic! I've read tons of articles about it, and seen lots of videos. If I ever have a PS3, I would definitely like to purchase this game.

Lair anyone? Joking. :p

Flower is definitely a good showcase for the sixaxis. Motorstorm (1 and 2) worked for me as well, particularly 2 for the local multi-player. Lots of non-gaming friends had a blast with it, and found steering with motion controls intuitive (I guess it's a lot like Mario Kart on Wii)

Apparently, flying around in Lair with the motion controller isn't bad either - patsu posted some impressions on that. Motion controls weren't that game's main problem (the game was at one point updated to allow for playing with regular controls incidentally)

Apparently, flying around in Lair with the motion controller isn't bad either - patsu posted some impressions on that. Motion controls weren't that game's main problem (the game was at one point updated to allow for playing with regular controls incidentally)

From what I read, controls in Lair were hated and loved at the same time. Some people were already happy with the old controls and said that those controls were something to get used to, after all.

Flying in Lair is definitely more interesting and fun than flight simulators for me. It's aggressive (like flying a large animal). Many people find it hard to adjust for tight corners. The major problems with Lair are the level design and lack of polish. I believe some of the hate stemmed from the disappointment in visuals in lieu of what the Factor 5 CEO promised.

Flower refines the motion control scheme to allow fine-grain control using the analog sticks concurrently.

In any case, Lair is fantasy stuff too.

There is a Folklore demo on PSN. So you can experience motion-based tug-O-war with monsters for free.

Personally, I'd say if you have PSEye, missing out on Eye of Judgment's gameplay is a loss. It's more worthwhile to buy PSEye with the EoJ game, than to buy it standalone.

EDIT: Oh yes, I think there is a free Lair demo on PSN too.

Also thanks for bringing up EyeCreate. That is a loss opportunity for LittleBigPlanet. Hopefully LBP Move will allow us to create our own motion games with PS Eye and the motion controller.

Flying in Lair is definitely more interesting and fun than flight simulators for me. It's aggressive (like flying a large animal). Many people find it hard to adjust for tight corners. The problems with Lair are the level design and lack of polish. I believe some of the hate stems from the disappointment in visuals the Factor 5 CEO promised.

Flower refines the motion control scheme to allow fine-grain control using the analog sticks.

In any case, Lair is fantasy stuff too.

There is a Folklore demo on PSN. So you can experience motion-based tug-O-war with monsters for free.

Personally, I'd say if you have PSEye, missing out on Eye of Judgment's gameplay is a loss. It's more worthwhile to buy PSEye with the EoJ game, than to buy it standalone.

EDIT: Oh yes, I think there is a free Lair demo on PSN too.

Also thanks for bringing up EyeCreate. That is a loss opportunity for LittleBigPlanet. Hopefully LBP Move will allow us to create our own motion games with PS Eye and the motion controller.

Thank you for your reply. :cool:

This video taken at a retail event has some Party games that I hadn't seen yet anywhere else. The video gives the impression of a Move commercial, but it apparently isn't. ;) (I think there may be some truth to that, as some of the people here are very uncool, and another one flaunts some of the swagger he got)

Back