Votes: 98 49.2%
  • 480's ok, 470 suxx

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • WTF for both

Votes: 58 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dual purpose

According to Ray Mears cooking a large goose egg in the embers of a fire takes about 40 minutes
, thank you BBC Knowledge channel
. Now if the egg used for this test is about half the size of the goose egg, they should let it cook for up to 20 minutes to see if the GTX is as efficient in cooking eggs as embers.

Looking around, it takes hours to solidify eggs at 65 degrees ... but it does eventually (and kills salmonella, although with the open air there the egg might not reach the necessary temperature).

I would have voted "good architecture, bad implementation". Went for meh.

Well I went for WTF on both.

Here is why:
I can remember NV leading the charge about soft launches. I am a big believer in accountability. So if you get up your mighty pedestal to preach this you dam well better not be guilty of it down the road. Now weather or not this is really a soft, paper, semi-soft or what not is debatable. But this limited and early launch is just what NV was accusing ATI back in the day. We held ATI's feet to the coals, now its NVs turn.Yes I know both sides are very guilty of this.

Also being soo late to the party I want to see a better numbers than 15% on average. You factor in the price power and noise then gets worse. This is not some fly by night operation, its NV the "Leader in graphics" I expect them to be better than this.

Finally add up all the pre-release games NV played (like passing off hand built samples at press events as the real deal), their boosting of why users should wait to buy, talk of DX11 is not important now, ect it all adds up to WTF NV!

DemoCoder said its best, its better for NV to play 2nd fiddle then none at all.

I think the next versions of Fermi is where its really going to hit its stride and be a great product.

My disappointment scale

GF5800
470/480GTX (5-6months late.meh)
260/280GTX

meh, performs slightly worse than i expected (10%)....sucks up heat and power waaaaaay more than i expected...4870 was bad but it was cheap...and the era of large, hot, loud, watt-hungry hardware is over. GF100..failed. IMHO. I cannot see Nvidia slashing prices like 260GTX, just too expensive too late. AMD destroyed Nvidia this round.

Yeah, 90 watts (according to AMD) was BAD. But HD5k was an enormous improvement over this.

Certainly curious. The number of memory chips on this PCB says GTX480 but the power interface says GTX470.

While I hope for the best, this could just be an early prototype PCB, back before they knew how hot the chip would run and how much power it would consume. NV rates GTX 480 TDP @ 250W, it's not unreasonable to think they may have targeted a 225W or lower TDP earlier in the design phase of GF100.

While I hope for the best, this could just be an early prototype PCB, back before they knew how hot the chip would run and how much power it would consume. NV rates GTX 480 TDP @ 250W, it's not unreasonable to think they may have targeted a 225W or lower TDP earlier in the design phase of GF100.

Yep. But at least we can say that this PCB was designed for an SKU with a 384-bit mem interface.

So this would've been for the top SKU in any case, and that was even supposed to have had 512 cores at various estimates during the pre-launch.

If this is truly an older design, they must've really underestimated its power requirements :D

Last edited by a moderator:
One minor thing on this PCB is that there's no screen-print for outlining the cooler assembly boundaries, as usually seen on reference designs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The link did say this is a custom PCB designed by Taiyanfa. The 2x6pin is able to supply stable power for the card, and the card should be less power hungry than the reference board.

Personally, I think they may be a little over ambitious since it is stated that are still waiting for the GPUs to start mass manufacturing. Who knows, it can be Taiyanfa under-designed the power supply.

Back