• Meh for both

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • 480's ok, 470 suxx

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • WTF for both

Votes: 58 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Only had the chance to comment on the results of the reviews now.

I was surprised with the GTX 480, but underwhelmed with the GTX 470. Although priced correctly the GTX 470 doesn't provide (on most occasions) a good upgrade over a GTX 285, except for the new features of course.

Now the GTX 480, despite all the doom and gloom, is performing more or less as I was expecting and it's not even the full blown chip, since it has some units disabled. Its theoreticals are so well below the competition, yet it manages to beat it almost every time. It does have a drawback: power consumption. I'm guessing they are suffering from leakage problems and that's causing the excessive power draw.

This architecture sure has some legs in it. I can't wait to see what a full blown chip can do (especially if the rumor of it having 128 TMUs is indeed true), with proper clocks (at least 750/1500/4200 Mhz) and the power usage improved.

Refresh on the same node? I guess that could work, since they can start cutting some of the "fat". Maybe they've aimed too much this time around.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. They are probably working on reducing that "fat" (heh) ever since they knew they were going to delay the launch of the cards based on GF100.

Yeah. It would be nice to see GF102 at the same time GF104 is rumored to come out (in 3 months)!

A word of warning. NV's newest campaign involves getting everyone shouting GF104! GF104! and how good it will be compared to GF100.. I can only say.. don't hold your hopes up. Specs put it past GT200, performance and (power!)characteristics don't.

(i'll even make a GF104 swear jar myself, since it's going to be ridiculous the coming months.)

A word of warning. NV's newest campaign involves getting everyone shouting GF104! GF104! and how good it will be compared to GF100.. I can only say.. don't hold your hopes up. Specs put it past GT200, performance and (power!)characteristics don't.

(i'll even make a GF104 swear jar myself, since it's going to be ridiculous the coming months.)

That's pretty damning - already promising how the next part will be better. All from a company that doesn't talk about unreleased products. :LOL:

Maybe someone can explain this to me from Charlie's article:
"This means Nvidia can't take the time to respin it. ATI will have another generation out before Nvidia can make the required full silicon (B1) respin, so there is no point in trying a respin. The die size can't be reduced much, if at all, without losing performance, so it will cost at least 2.5 times what ATI's parts cost for equivalent performance. Nvidia has to launch with what it has."
It, i.e. GF100, is faster (even Charlie admit's that) by some varying percentage, and, at max. 80 percent larger (600 vs 334 sqmm), yet it's supposed to cost 2.5 times as much? I fail to graps the math here…
The cost rises non-linearly with die size.

But then, it must be really hard for Charlie to admit that even an unmanufacturable salvage part with way missed clock targets and disable units is beating the HD 5870 perf wise. So he calls it slow. I wonder what that does to the performance of an HD 5870 in his view? More than slow? Me, I'm quite happy with the perf of my 5870 and didn't even see a need yet to try and overclock it.
A 10-15% win with a 58% larger die, is an architectural smack-down in my book. To be fair, fermi is the beginning of a new architecture (with a lot of headroom) while ati needs substantial improvements in the near future to remain competitive. Considering fermi's gestation, it is not at all obvious that amd can pull them off without missing their initial clocks/yields/power/area targets either. Overall, Fermi is a nice architecture. GF100 is it's meh implementation. The heat/noise and missed clocks only serve to add insult to injury.

I also wonder, what he was expecting the voltages to be in Nvidias planning. According to HT4U.net, they're quite low especially under load:http://ht4u.net/reviews/2010/nvidia_geforce_gtx_480/index10.php
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 GPU 50 / 100 MHz 1,004 Volt 700 / 1401 MHz 1,011 Volt
RAM (GDDR5) 67,5 MHz 1,584 Volt 924 MHz 1,583 Volt
No idea about voltages.

Er, isn't the GF104 supposed to be a cut-down version of the GF100? It might be "good" in efficiency terms compared to the GF100, but I sincerely doubt it will be higher-performance.

I guess the "other" campaign that tried to make GF100 worse that it turned out to be, has nothing to do with the bleak expectations for GF104 ?

Isn't that surprising :)

Which campaign? GTX480 is the most power hungry graphics card ever made (exceeds TDP even in current games), it's also the most noisy graphics card ever made, it's overpriced, still unavailable, and its performance is 15% better than single chip competitor, despite it was planned to compete with dual-GPU part. What exactly is better on this product, than the most pesimistic predictions stated?

Which campaign? GTX480 is the most power hungry graphics card ever made (exceeds TDP even in current games), it's also the most noisy graphics card ever made, it's overpriced, still unavailable, and its performance is 15% better than single chip competitor, despite it was planned to compete with dual-GPU part. What exactly is better on this product, than the most pesimistic predictions stated?

Can't exactly say I am overwhelmed or stoked about the Geforce GTX 400 series, rather the opposite but it does add one interesting thing. It delivers better minimum frames per second than the Radeon HD 5800 series as far as I can see. Not that I am going to spend €499 to get in what may be known as a very exclusive club, as my Radeon HD 4890 still fairs well and plays nice in Mac OSX .

Yes, the product has a few interesting points, but common aspects, which were discussed before launch (performance, price/performance, power consumtion, cooling, die-size) are all worse than expected. I really have no idea what is Silus talking about...

Back