• Meh for both

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • 480's ok, 470 suxx

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • WTF for both

Votes: 58 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Does this mean that we also have a rough estimate of the percentage of users with an ATI bias at B3D?

My take on Fermi is that the architecture is interesting. The implementation leaves quite a lot to be desired - whether that's NVIDIAs fault or TSMCs depends on what colour glasses you wear. I fear we'll never get an account of the real root causes of Fermis issue that we can read and not suspect it's being twisted one way or another by the author.

As for staying in the lab - it's not the first graphics card launched that falls into that category.

In this case you can not tell the ATI bias, they will be mixed with the rest of us.

Yep, we are an environmentally conscious bunch over here. Agreed on the fan noise - it's an annoying hurdle to get over and will kill it for some people. Otherwise, I'm not getting the price complaints - seems to be perfectly in line with the performance advantage which is a miracle for a high-end part. What would be a fair price for those cards?

The 5870 can pull that level of performance if you disregard thermals and power.

What would be a fair price for those cards?
A mail-in rebate compensating the extra utility bill charge during the lifespan of the card? That may not amount to much actually, with an operating range temperature north of 100 celsius ;)

Couldn't help myself as the little devil inside teased me into voting "Yay! for both"

Yes, of course the power consumption, heat and especially the loud cooling system makes it almost impossible to buy into.

But damn, so far I like the bold moves they did on the architectural side. Ahead of its time? Maybe, but without the lousy TMSC 40nm process, this would have been a really great chip on the compute side of things - it actually already is:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3783&p=6

I'm disappointed by the heat issue, because my otherwise fine 4890 wont do me a damn good with video editing on the upcoming Adobe Mercury Engine. I have to get a CUDA card for that and had high hopes on GF100. Maybe the B1 respin will sort things out, but I kinda doubt it.

I would have loved a new R300 or G80, but it shouldn't be. :cry:

The 5870 can pull that level of performance if you disregard thermals and power.

That's not fair man. It has enough problems without having to compete with hypotheticals too. You may be proven right soon though depending on what AMD's schedule looks like.

A mail-in rebate compensating the extra utility bill charge during the lifespan of the card? That may not amount to much actually, with an operating range temperature north of 100 celsius ;)

Yeah that 10 bucks would go a long way ;)

Exactly what everyone without bias will see it. Guess now we have a rough estimate of the percentage of users with nVidia bias (on B3D) from the poll.

The fact that they still show up here arguing is quite telling, at least others have remainded silent, as they should.

Heh, so anyone who doesn't see that it 'should've stayed in the labs' and represents 'a poor offering all around' just has an Nvidia bias and should shut up, eh? I suppose all those reviewers with more nuanced conclusions must really be bothering you too.

Is it nice and sunny in that glass house of yours? :LOL:

Heh, so anyone who doesn't see that it 'should've stayed in the labs' and represents 'a poor offering all around' just has an Nvidia bias and should shut up, eh? I suppose all those reviewers with more nuanced conclusions must really be bothering you too.

Is it nice and sunny in that glass house of yours? :LOL:

All I hear from your post is a lot of nice stories and fantasy.

Please provide me with a compelling reason to go buy a 480 and you win.

Epeen glory. :yep2:

Seriously, there ain't nothing wrong with someone liking them and it doesn't necessarily make them biased...just makes 'em a bit of an outlier from most demographics. ;)

Heck, I'd love one to play with just to see how it does. You're gonna call me an nVidia fanboy? :LOL:

Epeen glory. :yep2:

Seriously, there ain't nothing wrong with someone liking them and it doesn't necessarily make them biased...just makes 'em a bit of an outlier from most demographics. ;)

Heck, I'd love one to play with just to see how it does. You're gonna call me an nVidia fanboy? :LOL:

I can get bigger epeen with a 5970 or even overclocked 5870.

No, you can't.

1. Epeen isn't just about speed, uniqueness and the latest/greatest factor in too. Whilst it may not be the greatest, it's definitely the latest and has a bit of new shiny with it. Couple that with the rumored low availability and it is DEFINITELY a cool card to own right now. :p

2. I already has an overclocked 5970 & 5870

I'm not exactly an nV fan, honest...I'm just calling it like I see it. I don't see any way I would personally buy one, but my wife don't let me spend money on PC hardware anymore so that's a bit of a moot point.

No, you can't.

1. Epeen isn't just about speed, uniqueness and the latest/greatest factor in too. Whilst it may not be the greatest, it's definitely the latest and has a bit of new shiny with it. Couple that with the rumored low availability and it is DEFINITELY a cool card to own right now. :p

I'm not exactly an nV fan, honest...I'm just calling it like I see it. I don't see any way I would personally buy one, but my wife don't let me spend money on PC hardware anymore so that's a bit of a moot point.

Somehow I agree with your points that it is new and has the cool factor, but to me the epeen is about performance. I guess it varies from peron to person.

PS: I would also take one if it were free, but at the current price, completely not worth it.

No, you can't.

I read your site, what you're really saying is that you didn't get the card for free!

Ah, so the entire computerbase review is a cherry picked sample. You got me - that's exactly why I chose it and not because they present an extremely easy interface for comparing cards. If you're so inclined please provide a list of sites that you approve for use in these discussions and I'll be sure to use those instead.
Cherry picked sample for your case. I can find another review with a different set of benchmark suite, resolutions and settings that can flip the situation around. No? Get my point.

Heh, you keep repeating this as if popular opinion in this thread should somehow get in the way of hard numbers. You wouldn't be trying to distract from the real issue now would you? :)
Haha. Werent you whining the other day about how Kyle is biased now? The verdict on Fermi is clear as day and not just here. In the mean time you and your buddies can hug it out till B1 arrives.

Again, I'm not knocking the GF100 arch. Both 480 & 470 are the weakest products Nvidia has launched since the NV40. I'll just end this argument with Kyle's quote. "That all said, the GF100 is not a 5800 or 2900 redo, but it sure makes you think about it."

All I hear from your post is a lot of nice stories and fantasy.

I have no idea why you would want to buy a 480. Make up your own mind.

As someone who already has a DX11 card that I'm very pleased with, I personally don't have a pressing need for a Fermi. I suspect that the same goes for most Cypress owners.

Your sweeping statement that every objective person must agree that these cards shouldn't exist is something completely different, of course.

And if I were in the market for an enthusiast level card right now I'd certainly give the 470 and 480 a close look. There doesn't appear to be anything missing from their feature set and they're damn fast. Furthermore, Nvidia's drivers demonstrate how well game profiles can and should be implemented. Then there are awesome games like Metro 2033, Just Cause 2 and Mafia 2, which are making the old 'lol Batman and Mirror's Edge' meme rather obsolete. And though quite a few people might consider AFR a perfectly acceptable high end solution, I don't.

I can find another review with a different set of benchmark suite, resolutions and settings that can flip the situation around.

What are you waiting on then? Go for it :)

Haha. Werent you whining the other day about how Kyle is biased now? The verdict on Fermi is clear as day and not just here. In the mean time you and your buddies can hug it out till B1 arrives.

Hmmm, no actually I don't recall whining about anyone's bias, far less Kyle's. He's in love with Eyefinity yes but how in the world is that relevant to this thread? Here's a hint for you - less focus on me (or Kyle), more focus on the numbers. You seem to be afraid of them.

I have no idea why you would want to buy a 480. Make up your own mind.

As someone who already has a DX11 card that I'm very pleased with, I personally don't have a pressing need for a Fermi. I suspect that the same goes for most Cypress owners.

Your sweeping statement that every objective person must agree that these cards shouldn't exist is something completely different, of course.

And if I were in the market for an enthusiast level card right now I'd certainly give the 470 and 480 a close look. There doesn't appear to be anything missing from their feature set and they're damn fast. Furthermore, Nvidia's drivers demonstrate how well game profiles can and should be implemented. Then there are awesome games like Metro 2033, Just Cause 2 and Mafia 2, which are making the old 'lol Batman and Mirror's Edge' meme rather obsolete. And though quite a few people might consider AFR a perfectly acceptable high end solution, I don't.

1. If ATI disregarded power and heat, we would have the same performance and a smaller chip to boot.

2. Time matters. This chip is 6 months after cypress.

3. I can argue some people will prefer physX while other will prefer eyefinity.

Back