Amd z430

If so then it will be adreno 205 instead of 200, wonder if its only 200 with higher clock or maybe adreno 200 with improvements plus higher clock... according to qualcomm it is something more than just higher clocked adreno 200
They specifically mention that the chip has just started rolling off the manufacturing line, so that could also mean it's based in the MSM8X60 or QSD8672. If I remember correctly then the QSD8X50A/B has started rolling off the manufacturing line around January or February. Oh well, maybe I'm just being a little too hopeful here.

If so then it will be adreno 205 instead of 200, wonder if its only 200 with higher clock or maybe adreno 200 with improvements plus higher clock... according to qualcomm it is something more than just higher clocked adreno 200

If it's the 8x60 series, it'll be using the Adreno 220. The 205 is just a higher clocked (200MHz IIRC vs 133 in 8x50) but 220 uses a wider pipeline for better fill rate.

THe Z430 has positioned the LG GT-540 phone in 2nd place in the GLbenchmark list, just above the 3GS position.

The SGX540 powered samsung Galaxy S has just went to the top of the list, even though it has twice the number of screen pixels than the LG phone.

Be interesting to see where the iphone4 slots in, when someone gets round to jailbreaking it.

http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.jsp

No jailbreak needed, Kishonti can run GLBenchmark on the device as they see fit.

No jailbreak needed, Kishonti can run GLBenchmark on the device as they see fit.

In which case they musn't have got their hands on an iphone4 yet, as previously they were quite quick with the ipad testing.

After I posted yesterday, Nokia N8 got tested and now lies in 2nd place.

At one time IMG-ed devices occupied pretty much the top 20 in there, now 9 of the top 20 are AMD-ed graphics, and one(N8) with graphics via an ST chip (is it broadcom graphics? )

Can we conclude that the competition has caught up in terms of usable 3D graphics (for es1.1)

I'm not speaking for ImgTec here whatsoever, but just the fact the results don't take into account screen resolution means it's hard to interpret the results, thus making it hard to position devices and come to that kind of conclusion.

I'm not speaking for ImgTec here whatsoever, but just the fact the results don't take into account screen resolution means it's hard to interpret the results, thus making it hard to position devices and come to that kind of conclusion.

Well, the 3GS is getting beaten by one with AMD Z430 using same resolution, and by one with Broadcom (Nokia N8) using higher resolution

The 3GS is vsync locked. Yet more variables to throw into the mix ;)

I had noticed z430 leadership in some of the triangle tests at GLBenchmark a couple days ago, demonstrating some of the core's promise, but today's additions to the list are a real shake up. Broadcom's VideoCore III actually makes a very strong debut, and a phone I just bought myself a couple weeks ago, the myTouch Slide, places quite highly.

I'm not too surprised to see the Slide make the list; it impressed me with its smooth web browser despite being based on a last generation Qualcomm apps processor, a testament to the influence of drivers/software over hardware. The lack of FP support, however, ironically prevents this Android device from getting a port of Google Earth, to my annoyance, and it's still not as smooth overall as my first generation iPhone. As soon as T-Mobile US gets the iPhone 4, either officially or through jailbreak unlock, I'll be switching back to iOS and away from the mishmash of user interfaces and features that is Android.

Considering Samsung's boast of GPU performance, I actually expect that they were fairly aggressive with the clock rate for the GPU in the Galaxy S app processor.

This particular implementation of Galaxy S isn't having great compatibility with GLBenchmark, but Qualcomm's Neocore allowed the 540 to flex a bit more.

android-neocore.png

55.7 fps actually means it's vsync/refresh rate limited (Galaxy S screen refresh is ~56 Hz).

Gizmodo just posted up a side-by-side video of a Galaxy S (1Ghz hummingbird +SGX540) against a HTC desire (snapdragon + adreno) running Quake2. The difference is astounding, the Galaxy appears to be running at least 3-4 times quicker.

There is also a video on that same page of Quake III running smoothly on the galaxy.

http://gizmodo.com/5580123/quake-2-test-htc-desire-vs-samsung-galaxy-s
Considering that SGX540 was always faster and better(on paper and now IRL) than adreno 200(z430) on qualcomm it's not surprising, wonder how adreno 220 will fair against SGX540

Just tried to split the thread but there's no direct tool to do it. Might have to copy and then prune. Sigh

Back